The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2002, 01:45 PM   #1
mlarky

Cool More ?'s from the new guy

Hi Y'all,
I've been doing some websurfing and catalog searches for some parts I will need. The fenders on my truck were cut for a custom bumper that didn't come with the truck, and need replacing. So I am wondering....For front fenders, are the repops OK? Or should I stick with OEM parts. I am currently looking for good used fenders locally. Which parts supplier has a good reputation and best prices? LMC, American, or Brothers?
This isn't my first Chevy truck. the first one was a 66 stepside, Candy Red ( wet sanded and buffed to a mirror shine), lowered 4 inches, 327 Corvette motivation, TH350 with a shift kit, Power steering and brakes, tilt column, A/C, Alpine stereo. Sold it to a guy from Germany, who was in town on vacation, saw it and waved a lot of green in my face. It got back all of my investment on that one. No profit, just broke even. Then he sent me a Christmas card that year, saying how much he enjoyed driving it on the Autobahn. Yea, I'll bet!! I am going to attempt to include a pic of the 72. Narrowed the color choices for the 72, to Hugger Orange with a tan interior, Hawaiian Blue (?) with a denim and blue naugahyde interior, or Corvette yellow with a black and/or grey. Gonna do which ever color in 2 stage clear coat. Thought of doing the truck, keeping the flat bed with wood side rails, but I will more than likely go with a regular bed if I can find a buyer for the flat bed. A/C will be Vintage Air system,
( easily done since they are located in San Antonio, and so am I).
It already has a 82 tilt column, tank mounted in back inside frame where spare would normally go...Oh oh, now where will I put the spare?? I will need to find a way to cover the gas inlet on the new cab. Is there a kit on the market for that?? Basically I just need to paint and assemble the "new" cab, and put it on the frame, put either new or used fenders on, get a good used grille or repop, install the running 350 and it will be done. Planning to have it done by Easter. Don't laugh! I'm starting next week. Have all the stuff except the paint, grille and fenders. Enuff fer now...let's see if I can get a pic of the truck with this posting..Merry Christams Ya'll !!!!
mlarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:48 PM   #2
neonlarry

I have not seen all of the different brands, but I know I will never buy re production fenders for anything of mine. Compared to factory sheetmetal, they are way too thin. One of the reasons I like old trucks is the fact that they are made out of thick metal, and I wouldn't want something as thin as the replacement fenders I have seen.
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:32 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

mlarky, I won't try to persuade you either way on fenders.If you can find decent originals that would be great.However, if you want repops try some of the vendors that frequent the BB.They will have better prices and most of them use the parts they sell on their own trucks so they have already shopped for the best quality they can find.Many of them also deal in used parts and may have the bed you need.kingparts,GMCPaul,Big Orange or Tim Christian would be more than glad to send you prices and any info about their products.
Many of the other BB members salvage parts also and may have what you want listed in a post on the parts board.Good luck with your project and welcome to the Finest BB on the WWW.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:35 PM   #4
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

as far as parts, most any of the venders on this board are good. my favorite is gmc paul..

http://www.gmcpaulstruckparts.com/

oh, and welcome to the board. nice to see a board member so close! im on the north east part of san antonio... maybe you have seen my blue longhorn drivin aroud..
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 08:01 PM   #5
Mudder

Dont forget about Wes!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 12:13 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I lived in Tx for a couple years, and you shouldn't have too much a problem geting good fenders there...you may have to patch under the battery, but other than that you should have no problems.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote