The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Window Tints

Not sure if this is the right spot for this post, I don't see a General Truck topic area. Anyways, I eventually want to tint the door windows but I am first in the process of replacing cracked and dry-weathered seals. I was going to have them professionally done. In the meantime, I was thinking about tinting the back window (non-slider) myself. Pepboys sells rolls of window tint. Anyone here have experience with them? Do they work well and are they hard to put on?
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
HeavyD

Re: Window Tints

I have seen people use stuff from our Canadian version of PepBoys and the tint usually looks poor. It has a purple coloring to it and bubbles all over. I think you would be happier with a professional job, especially if your truck is in nice shape.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

ahhh,, look through E*ay and you can find sellers selling PRE-CUT kits. I bought a set for my company ride and been on for over a year and still lookin good.
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Retro68
Account Suspended

www.aspeedytint.com has the solution to your tint problems
Retro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Zphreaky1

Right here in AZ, I will be looking to get some tint done soon. Perfect Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 03:39 AM   #6
JameslovesJammie
God Bless Mr. T

If I remember right, the purple tint comes from cleaning the windows with an amonia based cleaner before applying the tint. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

If you take the glass out of the vehicle and basically submerge the glass in water while you're applying tint, it will come out decent. I've never seen one amaturely done that looked decent that was done in the vehicle.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I love the precut kits but have never seen one for our old trucks. Probably not enough demand. I recently installed one on my ZR2 and it's pretty much idiot proof. I got it off ebay for $17 delivered.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
oj70chevy
250 V-6 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameslovesJammie View Post
If I remember right, the purple tint comes from cleaning the windows with an amonia based cleaner before applying the tint. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

If you take the glass out of the vehicle and basically submerge the glass in water while you're applying tint, it will come out decent. I've never seen one amaturely done that looked decent that was done in the vehicle.
You are correct. The tint will color fade with ammonia. Also take into consideration it will fade slowly over time as well. I have used the tint from Pep boys and had no problems with it. As for the bubble, that is caused by not cutting the tint correctly and forcing it to fit into a smaller location the size of tint you have. That can be fixed by trimming the tint on the top or bottom. Also if you’re going to tint the window when it is still in your vihacle make sure to clean the window extremely well or you will see dirt and whatever you have in there. You will need to do all the cuts from the outside of your truck then when your ready to install it take the whole think and get in the truck and close the door (this will help keep any flying things from getting between your tent and the window). Don’t forget to clean the window before you apply the tint.

Good Luck.
Ralph
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Kevin45

Quote:
Also if you’re going to tint the window when it is still in your vihacle make sure to clean the window extremely well or you will see dirt and whatever you have in there. You will need to do all the cuts from the outside of your truck then when your ready to install it take the whole think and get in the truck and close the door (this will help keep any flying things from getting between your tent and the window). Don’t forget to clean the window before you apply the tint.
Yep....clean is the key. Also consider that for the hassle of doing it, it is only aound $125 to get everything done by a pro, Or at least it is around here. Might be worth it to let them do everything. But if you are going to do the back window, clean it with a quality cleaner, and take a razor blade to the window to make sure everything is off. Especially around the areas of the trim. A fly turd will make a small bubble under the window tint believe it or not. Also you don't want any dust flying around when you tint it. You can make a pattern from poster board. It is cheap enough that you can out two pieces together and cut it to fit the back window, then use that to trim around for the tint. One other little hint....if you have a cloth interior, cover your seat with a bed sheet. A bed sheet will not have the dust in it that the cloth interior of your truck will. And to see how dusty your truck is, park it in the sun and smack the seat with your hand. Dust will roll out. You don't want to bump something and have that flying up onto the window when setting the tint. Post some pics when done.

Kevin
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
afoshie

if your going to do it yourself find sungaurd tint. make sure the winow is very clean. spray water on the window and place the tint on it to be cut. make sure you have the side down that will peel off .( leave the plastic glue cover on the tint to do this) . once you place it on the window take a sqeege and make sure all of the bubbles are out of it then use a razor blade to cut it out. clean the window again and peel off the plastic covering the glue. take a spray bottle of water with a drop or 2 of joy dish washing detergent and spray on the window. tis will make it to where th bubbles can be removed. place the tint on the window and sqeege out all of the water under the tint. place it in the sun and let it cure for a couple of days and your good to go.
afoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 AM   #11
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Here's a kit on ebay that's already pre-cut!: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Precu...spagenameZWD1V

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote