The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Bitsa

No Start, Seeking Advice

Hey all, thank you for any advice you can give me. I don’t have much of a mechanical or electrical background and have been learning everything along the way over the last few years on my 72, largely from this message board. BIG thanks to everyone. I had it running good before tear down for paint a year or so ago. It’s finally all back together and beautiful, the suns shining and then....

Problem:
Turn the key and nothing from the solenoid/starter. Lights, heater work fine and don’t dim on attempted start. Turn signal/hazard lights aren’t showing up in dash but unrelated I’m assuming. Seems like the problem is between the ignition switch and the engine bay?

What I “know”:
Wire from ignition - NSS to solenoid S terminal has no voltage with key in start position. I put a jumper wire in the two purple wires to bypass the NSS and still nothing. I did swap out the key tumbler after losing my key and then the switch after it wouldn’t start (so two different switches).

Re-wired the truck a few years ago and everything worked.
Battery tested under load and is good.
12v to solenoid from battery
Starter and solenoid fires up when tested.
Continuity on wires in engine bay.
Fuses look good.
Cleaned up grounds and connections to battery/starter.
Checked other connections for loose wiring.

Thoughts? Things to double check? I’m really trying to understand how this all works so I can fix the next issue that comes along.

Cheers
Bitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Bitsa

Re: No Start, Seeking Advice

Figured it out right after I realized I posted this question in the wrong area. Purple starter wire on ignition switch was loose. Yay.
Bitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Re: No Start, Seeking Advice

Good job!
A careful look at things before tearing things apart is the best place to start.
Plus kodos for a nice initial write up.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote