The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Spot1984

Sheet metal HELP!

Where is the best place to buy sheet metal for my 70 c10. I have bought cab corners, rockers, rear pillars, outer floor both sides from LMC and needless to say they are F*@&in junk!!!!! I have seen on here top banana and mbgmike are good sources. I want the best possible metal I can get. I made the floor work but the cab corners and rockers are so out of whack there is no way they will fit without some serious time invested. I really need some help fellas. Thank you!
Spot1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
1972RedNeck

Re: Sheet metal HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot1984 View Post
needless to say they are F*@&in junk!!!!!
That's a good way to describe most of LMC's stuff.
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
JRANGER

i like tabco products...You can order from Jcwhitley or call them direct....Its just more if you get it direct from them
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
JRANGER

The Tabco floor pan i got

Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #5
454stepside
Account Suspended

classic parts is who i use and fit and quality are very good
454stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
JRANGER

i also used goodmark from summitracing...Rockers and supports..

here is my thread with a bunch of pics of them..and they go up the piller but i modified them
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=496904
Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot1984 View Post
Where is the best place to buy sheet metal for my 70 c10. I have bought cab corners, rockers, rear pillars, outer floor both sides from LMC and needless to say they are F*@&in junk!!!!! I have seen on here top banana and mbgmike are good sources. I want the best possible metal I can get. I made the floor work but the cab corners and rockers are so out of whack there is no way they will fit without some serious time invested. I really need some help fellas. Thank you!
I'm interested in seeing what you find out about this. I just dropped over $300 in cab repair parts from LMC and Kennys trucks. I didn't have real high expectations because I have used them before. Most are Key parts the metal is thinner on some and close to the same on others.
The way I look at these repair panels, I figure you're going to have to modify all the panels. It just saves time in trying to fabricate new panels from scratch.
I think there is a good market for high quality replacement/repair panels. The biggest problem, the price would be very expensive to get the made in the USA. I have some old cab corners from the early 90s that were made in the US and they are heavy gauge like oems, but the fit and shape isn't close.
Also, had a friend tell me he installed some NOS GM rockers recently and the fit wasn't that great either. I think it's just the nature of the beast.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
JRANGER

Tabco i read makes excellent fitments..only reason i didnt get all tabco is because i had to order direct or wait months to get my stuff from a few online vendors....So i went cheap with goodmark...But the goodmark isnt as thick or as good of quality as the tabco panel..
Old 01-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #9
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Only a few companies make the parts, and none of the people we can buy from make anything. Just as the stuff you buy at Walmart, or Kroger isn't made by them.

So even if you buy from another vendor, you'll probably end up with the same parts.

Some say AMD, or Tabco make their own. I'll guess it isn't really true.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
454stepside
Account Suspended

I have installed the parts from classic parts I have bought. I have repaired many cabs with these parts and really have never had any fitment issues. Quality is really nice. I have a cab corner that was givin to me from lmc that i show people the quality you get from them. It is about an inch to wide on the side. I have sworn to never use another LMC part as long as I live. Every thing I have ever gotten from them has been very poor quality. That is of course just my opinion
454stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
CC69Rat

The panels on these old trucks never had the QC like the do on Lexus, BMW panel fit, etc .. IMO it just never was a huge issue on a truck that was destined to be used to haul farm equipment, or work truck in general.

Now they're being built into $60k+ show pieces .. so what I'm saying is I think GM metal is still better than Re-pro BUT, I don't think any of them will ever fit 'perfect'. they'll all usually take some work to be show quality fit.

.. just my opinion.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454stepside View Post
classic parts is who i use and fit and quality are very good
Yepper Classic parts never had a problem with them, I think they still ship TRIPLUS sheetmetal. Not classic industries, never get the two confused.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
black_sheep454

I just bought a one piece floor from tri plus. Haven't installed it but it seems to be well made out of nice thick metal.
Posted via Mobile Device
1988 chevy 1-ton crew cab 2wd waiting for a 12v cummins
black_sheep454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
MLB57

The problem I think with LMC is they change vendors to get cheaper parts. I got a right side pillar repair panel and it was a triplus and was good quality. Had to get another left side because of a miss cut and it was junk felt like tin foil and was actually rusting under the primer, had to order one on line and wait.
MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Tim Christian

Some Vendors will buy were they can make the most money don't really care about the truck builders and quality. I have always said Rule #1 in building a truck fine you a vendor that is actually into the hobby of building trucks and build a relationship with them and stick with them throught your build there prices might be a little higher but the knowledge is PRICELESS!
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #16
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
Some Vendors will buy were they can make the most money don't really care about the truck builders and quality. I have always said Rule #1 in building a truck fine you a vendor that is actually into the hobby of building trucks and build a relationship with them and stick with them throught your build there prices might be a little higher but the knowledge is PRICELESS!
Good advice Tim
Vendors that use the best availible parts in their shop are not going to sell you a lower quality part. It damages the companies reputation. A good vendor will be honest and tell you his or her, opinion of the part also.
It sure would be easy if every part was so high in quality that it fit perfect with no problems!!!!
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote