The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
domeier

SCORE!!! not...

I was poking around a lumber yard this morning looking for bed wood, and came across a pile of junk maple leftovers from some Steve Jobs-type, rich dude construction project.

$5.79 per plank! Yow!!!

I spent about 45 minutes sorting through it until I had six half decent planks that could be cut to size, so I loaded 'em on my cart and wheeled it up to the cashier.

Lessee... 8 x 6 plus tax... I was opening up my wallet when cashier dude starts measuring the planks.

I said, "hang on dude, these all came off that crap pile out back. The sign said $5.79 each."

Dude gave me a look like I must have been in a real bad, no-helmet motorcycle accident. "Uh, no, that's $5.79 per board foot." (He didn't add 'you freakin' moron,' but I could see it in his eyes.)

"Oh," I said. I didn't know what else to say.

Man, I walked out of there feeling poor... and stupid. Wait, I am poor and stupid. But at least I still have my $55. I can't BELIEVE what junk wood costs these days. Dang hippies have made it just about impossible for anyone who isn't Warren Buffet to build anything out of wood any more.

Oh well. Guess I just gotta suck it up until I find some junk wood on craigslist, or maybe sneak into some rich dude's house when he's not home and 'borrow' his kitchen cabinets, and maybe his coffee table.

Dang hippies! Dang 'em all straight to hell!!!
Attached Images

domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
Agent915

Re: SCORE!!! not...

To show my support for you domeier I went out back and set fire to some old tires! Nothing gets me more annoyed than tree-huggers, greenies, global warmers and the like. They want us to walk or ride our bike while THEY fly around the world preaching how WE are polluting. They make me sick!!
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Kevjulian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent915 View Post
To show my support for you domeier I went out back and set fire to some old tires! Nothing gets me more annoyed than tree-huggers, greenies, global warmers and the like. They want us to walk or ride our bike while THEY fly around the world preaching how WE are polluting. They make me sick!!
They really need to make "like" button for this forum. I agree totally

Kev
Kevjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
Mint68

Yah screw trees, who needs them, not me or anybody I know!
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I agree with all of ya, don't forget we're supposed to eat our tofu and let cattle be happy
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint68 View Post
Yah screw trees, who needs them, not me or anybody I know!
Yeah who needs them....oxygen is overrated!
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

SCOREn't,huh? Does California even have Maple trees? I don't think it's hippies,I think it's greed. They come up with any excuse to bump the cost up. Greedy business men love the tree huggers for one more excuse to add to the dozens of other excuses,real and contrived,they come up with...hurricanes,floods,slowed sales,and now I guess it's because people are buying. Just crappy hemfir 2x4s have jumped in price lately and they are from timber planted and harvested on lumber company land. Maple has always been a furniture grade lumber and expensive,before hippies,beatniks,or even the flappers of the roaring '20s.

Oh,and anyone who doesn't care about trees? Really???Try thinking a little bigger

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
JOJABOY

At least you didn't have the government teleport you out of Jaw-ja and into Rancho Palos Verdes. I have to drive my truck by the anti-war protesters every day. (They really need to get a job and get off the street). One actually yelled at me as to how many miles per gallon my truck got.

I yelled back "yards". LMAO
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
JOJABOY

I do believe you could get lumber cheaper at Rockler than wherever you were looking. My buddy bought wood for his bed from the Marine base wood shop. I think he paid $4.25 a board foot for red oak. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Agent915

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
At least you didn't have the government teleport you out of Jaw-ja and into Rancho Palos Verdes. I have to drive my truck by the anti-war protesters every day. (They really need to get a job and get off the street). One actually yelled at me as to how many miles per gallon my truck got.

I yelled back "yards". LMAO
"YPG" too funny!!!! We working slobs go out everyday, work and pay taxes so these fine people can march, protest and you guessed it.........we're the problem! Go figure.
Agent915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
JOJABOY

Quote:
.......we're the problem! Go figure.
Right. My truck sees about 2 1/4 miles a day on average. I drive it to where I meet up with my vanpool. I have a small Chevy Sedan for my around town driving. My truck is a hobby and not the end of the worlds existence. Yet my neighbors Hybrid tiny car has a battery that is non-recyclable and will take about 80,000 years to decompose. Hmmmmm....who's the problem again?

Oh I'm sorry. Is my soapbox in anyone's way? LOL Back to wood and the price gouging. It's right up there near gasoline costs. Bwahahahaha
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
sir_talk_alot

That battery takes for ever to decompose, yet our trucks certainly dont take anywhere that long. Just look at any old truck and you'll see the rust. Had a tree hugger one time get on me about my old straight piped 8mpg ram i used to have. How its polluting and a waste. I looked at her and said "please open any history book and show me where a prius built america?, or for that fact any small gas efficient car? Theres a reason trucks have been around since vehicles began, because their useful. Its how work gets done. How stuff gets built, how families are fed, through the use of a truck". Needless to say they had nothing else to say and certainly wouldnt argue.
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
domeier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJABOY View Post
...My buddy bought wood for his bed from the Marine base wood shop. I think he paid $4.25 a board foot for red oak. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.
So... I guess I'd have to join the Corps in order to get that price, too? I might actually consider it, but I can't do pushups and smoke at the same time. And as for people maybe shooting at me... well, that's just out. I was Air Force, man - we sent our officers out to get shot at.

Man, I don't know what I'm going to do for bed wood. The yard I was at today was supposed to have okay prices, but I sure as hell didn't see any. I have a couple messages out to craigslist people; have to see what comes back. Other than that, I'm beginning to wonder if I need to drive to another state... or country, just to buy 8 stinking pieces of wood without taking out a mortgage?

As for the greeny types, I catch hell from 'em too for my non-smogged, gas chuggin' behemoth. I'd point out to them that a well maintained 40 year old vehicle is 1000x more "eco-friendly" than some piece of crap, rolling lithium leak that you have to replace every five years... but they'd never be able to do the math - the incense fumes have got to their brains.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint68 View Post
Yah screw trees
There's an actual term for that...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #15
JOJABOY

I wait till I'm done with the push ups and just smoke while I run. LOL You just need a friend who has base access. My buddy isn't in the Corps. I went with him to get the lumber. Ended up being just under $150. We planed it and routed the grooves there. He ended up doing the steel wool and vinegar stain and had the walls of his bed and the bed strips LineX coated. Looks pretty good on his back truck.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I used yellow pine,like original,in my last job. It's not real available,but not crazy high priced and it's the right stuff. If prices are that high around town you might consider finding an online place and pay the shipping. For that matter,maybe just buying the bedwood might be the way to go. We have specialty woods places around here and when I hear the prices it makes me wonder why I even asked. The funny thing is,maple grows like weeds around here and it is by no means a protected species. I have a tree on my place that would do 100 beds. It's huge! Maples grow fast,too. I bet I pull 500 saplings every year,not to mention the ones I mow over.
I have a friend with one of the largest recycled woods businesses in the country...or world. I'm lucky for that,but he still doesn't give me much of a break. Another cabinet maker friend has a mill and his specialty is quarter sawn oak. If I help mill it I can get it much cheaper.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
CC69Rat

I bought mine from a lumber yard too, rough cut to 1" thick and Dad and I planed it down, cut it to GM spec, etc. (specs on GMCPauls website if you didn't know) It turned out really well. This is Northern Red Oak. I understand in the Northern states the dirt is not as 'Red' as it is in the South East so the 'Red' in Red Oak is not as noticeable.. it's more pinkish looking around here.

I have $157 in the whole bed wood set as you see it here. (I have the rest of the wood, I plan to finish up the bed this weekend) Im not sure what that equates to in Bdft, but I don't think I paid $5.79 per for mine. It can be found much cheaper. If I can help you let me know, but shipping would probably kill it for you.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
sir_talk_alot

Im considering doing cypress since it doesnt rot. Stain it and seal it and i thnk itll look nice
Posted via Mobile Device

'94 GMT 400 ext z71 3" body, 3 in rough country, hd mirrors, 20" motometals on 35s
sir_talk_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
etindoll

If you have any friends that work for a furniture company that builds their own frames. Now days they get what they call a hardwood mix and it will have red oak, white oak, gum, maple, etc. etc. most can get red oak out of these bundles for like a $1.00 a foot but it may take 6 months to get enough good looking knot free boards to do a bed. If I lived closer to you guys I would get you some.
etindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
domeier

Mr. Rat, that is just beautiful. Godawful nice work!

I should probably double quadruple triple check the plank dimensions with you guys before I do anything stupid. Or stupider.

short stepside:

(4) planks, 77,1/8 x 7,7/16 x 13/16
(2) planks, 77,1/8 x 5,7/16 x 13/16
(2) planks, 77,1/8 x 3,1/8 x 13/16

I don't have the numbers for the grooves handy, but I got them off GMCPaul's, so I assume they're correct? Oh, and is 13/16" an odd thickness for standard lumber? The only stuff I saw yesterday in 13/16 was that pile of Bill Gates' maple scraps.

Nothing came back from the craigslist sawmill queries I sent out yesterday. Shocking. Shocking!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
etindoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_talk_alot View Post
Im considering doing cypress since it doesnt rot. Stain it and seal it and i thnk itll look nice
Posted via Mobile Device
I am going to use cypress in my bed also.
etindoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #22
ItsRandy

Quote:
I support you too...I just lit my house on fire in protest. Maybe I shouldn't have done that...I'll be right back.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
I support you too...I just lit my house on fire in protest. Maybe I shouldn't have done that...I'll be right back.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote