The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
RdoubleU

I6 250 Power Steering Pump Alignment

I am in the middle of a power steering conversion on a 68 with a 250. I have used Shiftys How To in the FAQ section and numerous other posts to get the the point I am at now.

All that I have left is to properly align the power steering pulley.

My Issue: The pump pulley is off around 1/4 inch from the other pulleys causing the belt to want to align directly in the center of the double pulley I have.

I have shimmed with washers without much luck due to the limits of the early 250 mounting brackets. I believe pulley offsets are going to be my fix but not sure.

Can anyone advise an idea to align the pump with the current setup I have:
  1. Would this be possible to fix with a different offset pulley?
  2. Possibly a single pulley? With a different offset or will it be that much of a effect
  3. Are there any other shimming suggestions or tricks I may be overlooking?

Would this be possible to fix with a different offset pulley? Possibly a single pulley
Are there any other shimming suggestions or tricks I may be overlooking?

There are some good ideas mentioned in the threads below but no conclusions.

Looking for some advisement to continue with all the great help this site has proved me so far

Reference articles: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=354622
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...power+steering
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408991
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=216886
RdoubleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Re: I6 250 Power Steering Pump Alignment

If rest of the brackets are correct and you can't find answers here, I would try at one of the Chevelle forums.

I don't know what size 6 cyl he ran, but Brad (board name "Brad") had PS on his old '67 C-10 (I believe) plus on his 6 cyl stock Camaro.
If you don't find your answer, perhaps shoot Brad a PM and ask him.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
NC67Chev

It would be helpful if you would post some pics. There are different PS set-ups, so it's hard to tell what you're working with without seeing. Where did you get your set-up? Was it complete or did you piece it together?

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
RdoubleU

I actually bought it off a board member here. It came with all brackets, pump and a double V-pulley.

I was able to snap a few quick pictures out the door this morning, but this should give a better idea of what I am working with currently.

Also I looked it over again last night for possible solutions and it seems the easiest and most logical would be a different pump pulley to correct the offset.

What I don't know is if the offsets really exist or if they are just different belt designs. Someone mentioned to me the offset wouldn't be effected much by just a different pump pulley
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have two pumps sitting on the shelf in my garage.They are different pulleys.I think one came from a 69-70 truck and the other from an unknown source(but is from a 250/6 probably a Nova).They are both single groove pulleys,but have different offsets.One is dished deeper than the other.I have one complete sets of brackets and a partial.They are also different.I think I have enought to install and align the set-up but haven't had a chance to install yet.From a semi-mockup,it looks like one pulley will align but the other would be half a belt or like yours fall in the center of the two groove HB pulley.I also picked up about 5-6 different pulleys for the 250 to have on hand to work out alignment.Most I have talked to say it is hit or miss unless you buy a complete setup from a truck including HB and all pulleys.There were several different bracket/pulley combos for the 250 from what I can determine but I've only seen a couple styles on the trucks(factory style).IIRC the differences are dependent on whether the truck had A/C or not.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 06-17-2011 at 07:45 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
RdoubleU

Exactly what I wanted to hear lol

Looks like some trial and error with pulleys is in my near future, the pump and pulley itself are the same style for v8 motors as well correct? Believe I may have greater luck finding those

Any other pulley source ideas is appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
NC67Chev

I wish you were close by.......We could throw one of my pumps with a single pulley on it and see if it lines up. One thing that might be an issue for you is the truck that this came off of before you got it might have had the crank & water pump pulleys changed at the time that PS was added to it.

Upgrades: Power steering, Offset air cleaner, Rear Sport bumper, 3 point safety belts, HEI, -1/-2 springs, 16x5 wheels, McGaughy's disc brake conversion, Sway bar
NC67Chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #8
RdoubleU

Late update for future people looking for ideas

I was able to dial in the final alignment of the pulley by adjusting the brackets as much as possible and then created some keyed washers to go inbetween the power steering pump and the pulley itself. they fit over the pumps shaft and match the shafts built in key so they spin with the whole assembly.

Just make sure you have plenty of thread to securely hold the pulley on the shaft when your done aligning
Attached Images