The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #1
Zoerb

700R4 2nd gear....

Ok I bought a 89 Suburban 4x4 to strip and put FI in my 86, and I bought it knowing that the trans was toast.

Now doing some research, I dont think this is the case but I am looking for your guys input.

Trans fluid looks/ smells dirty but not burnt.
Trans has rev, 1st, 2nd. When driving it, it just acts like you have the gear selector in 2 instead of drive. doesnt rev up or slip in any gear.

Any ideas?

also, while disecting the wireing harness, I found that the ground from the wiring harness was disconnected from the rear of the right side head.

Wife's whip- 2020 Equinox Premier
Zoerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: 700R4 2nd gear....

The 700r4 does not shift electronically. The wiring your talking about is likely for the lockup. Your saying it doesnt shift out of 2nd gear at all? I would have to lean toward a bunch of trash in the valve body. Does the trans make any noise? generally 700r4's break hard parts. 3rd and 4th gear are the first to burn out. the overdrive clutches in a 700r4 are tiny.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #3
Zoerb

the trans shifts from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 1st fine, just does not shift to third or fourth. (I brought it up to 45mph on the highway, and it just acts like you have it in 2nd manualy.)

Do you think taking the valve body out and cleanning it out might make a difference?

I know I'll have to rebuild it some day, just hoping that its later than sooner!

Wife's whip- 2020 Equinox Premier
Zoerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
cableguy0

I would try having the tranny flushed. The only problem is it can open a whole new can of worms. you have 1st and 2nd now after a flush or a cleaning you might not have any gears. if the trans is on its way out typically a flush or cleaning will finish it off. the problem is a lot of time the thick fluid and the trash and clutch material in it is actually why the trans is still working. Once all the trash is out and fluid is clean it might not work anymore.Its a roll of the dice.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote