The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
C10Sam

LMC or Classic Parts reproduction steering wheels?

I recently got the 15" Grant 3-spoke wood grain wheel and, after waiting a month for it (the wheel adapter was on back order, of course), I now realize that it's not for me... a little too small and I just don't like the feel of it. Now thinking that I'll go with an OE style repro from Classic Parts but was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with these wheels from Classic and/or LMC (I'm assuming they're the same but maybe I'm wrong??)... quality? feel? and color match to original paint? My interior is medium olive and I'm wondering if I roll the dice and buy their "green" wheel or play it safe and just get the black. Anyone purchased a green repro wheel to match a med olive interior. A long shot but thought I would ask... Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
cla511

Re: LMC or Classic Parts reproduction steering wheels?

I recently put in a Blk one from classic parts and like it. It's not as heavy as an OEM. It also has a little "sharper" feel but that should wear down in time.
1986 K20 Sub 406/TH400

"Life's tough.....It's enough tougher if your stupid." John Wayne
cla511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Elliot949

LMC and Classic Parts of America basically sell the same parts for the most part... I go with the best customer service and that is Classic Parts Hands down between those two...

But you really should check with Wes at Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts... Here is his website... http://www.classicheartbeat.com/

Wes is a great guy... and has superior Customer Service...

This is just my opinion somebody else may have a different opinion...

Dan

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
C10Sam

Thanks to you both! I've bought a lot from both LMC and Classic Parts and have to agree, Classic Parts has great customer service. In fact, the picture above was taken by one of their reps who went down to the warehouse, pulled the wheel and text me a couple of pics. That's service!

So, cla511, does that mean you would recommend it, as far as quality is concerned?

I did check with Classic Heartbeat and GMC Pauls too and will def be trying to send some business their way in the future.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

The repo wheels have a much weaker inner band and tend to flex more than the originals. If you have spent any time behind an OEM wheel the difference is very noticeable.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
C10Sam

I had the OEM wheel in my 63 but not my 70. So, no, I wouldn't know the difference but from what I can gather my options would be to search and wait for an original green wheel that is in good condition (which I'm sure would not be cheap) or purchase one of these aftermarket repros. Does anyone know of another supplier that has a higher quality repro? More to the point, are these repros poor quality or are they just not as good as the originals? I'm fine with "not as good as original" but would think twice if it is a $250 dollar wheel that is of poor quality. This is a low(ish) budget truck so I'm just looking for an original look and 'decent' quality...
Old 02-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #7
cla511

I would recommend it unless you can find an OEM in great shape.

I've spent a lot of time in a 69 and the steering wheeling in my 86 dump truck is the basically the same as the CS trucks. The repo is not the same but with the options we have I'm happy.

If I found and NOS in a box tomorrow I'd change it out in a heart beat.
1986 K20 Sub 406/TH400

"Life's tough.....It's enough tougher if your stupid." John Wayne
cla511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
C10Sam

Thanks cla511, I think I'll go for it! It's a power steering truck and I just replaced coils, shocks, body mounts, ball joints, etc so maybe I won't feel much of the flex that RenoKeene mentioned.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
srvivor71

I bought a reproduction wheel. It was a year or 2 ago and I don't remember who I got it from (probably LMC). I am not at all happy with it because it's so light weight and flimsy feeling. It kinda feels like there's no steel ring inside. It's hanging on my garage wall now and I'm driving with a basic Grant wheel until I can (hopefully) find a good OEM wheel. (I found that I like the smaller diameter of the Grant).
srvivor71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
Jimjific

I got a brand new reproduction wheel at Christmas. I got if off of e-bay since it was a little cheaper and free shipping and I assumed they are all the same manufacturer. Mine it brown and the color seems to look good. It's a little hard to tell how accurate it is since you are comparing something brand new with other parts that are 45 years old. I love the new wheel. True it has a little more flex than the OEM but I am already used to it. It is nice to have a wheel that returns to centers without feeling all of the cracks of the old one. I was also able to just repaint the horn button.

Jim

Jim - 69 Short Step CST 350 AC/PB/PS
- 69 Short Step 307 Man Column/PS
Jimjific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #11
Jimjific

p.s. I also love the large diameter and thinness of the original wheels. To me, it is part of the charm of driving an old vehicle.

Jim

Jim - 69 Short Step CST 350 AC/PB/PS
- 69 Short Step 307 Man Column/PS
Jimjific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
1972BlueC20

I bought a light blue reproduction steering wheel from LMC. It's pretty nice but it did seem a little more flimsy than I thought it would be, but just at first. I'm used to it now and it feels fine. It made a huge difference on turning since I don't have power steering. The truck had a crappy tiny grant wheel when I bought it and it looked horrible and was hard to turn.

If I could do it all over again I would of bought the steering wheel from Classic Parts. I found out after ordering and installing the new wheel that the price difference between LMC and Classic was MAJOR!

LMC - $269.95
Classic - $199.95

I think they're the exact same, but I may be wrong.

Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
C10Sam

I know that LMC is more expensive on most items (compared to Classic) but I wondered, with that big of a price difference, if the LMC was from a different manufacturer and of better quality... or just marked up that much more.

I'm a little concerned by some of the opinions but it also seems that a lot of guys that have purchased these repros are happy with them. Really though... what choice do I have? I don't feel like waiting for an indeterminate amount of time in the hopes that I run across a NOS green wheel (that may be priced above my pain threshold anyway).

Regardless, thanks for all of the input. This site is great!