The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
DrtyJack75

uhhh "In Over My Head" build - PB/Accuair Parts

Well I've finally started a build thread....Ive titled it "In Over My Head" because Im probably just that! (First part of this will have alotta my story but it'll slow down once I get to the present day)

Little background....dad never taught me sh*t about working on cars. I dont think I knew you had to change the oil till I joined the AF and had my own car. About 5 yrs ago, I started dating a girl and her uncle Pete owned Third St. Auto Repair in Napa, CA and ran in demolition derbys! One year of watching him, I was like...screw this, I can build a derby car! Remember I didnt know sh*t, so I did all the grunt work...stripped cars, CRUDE fabrication, learned to weld (good enough for derby cars), and slowly start helping with the motors. Still cant diagnose sh*t but tell me whats wrong with it and I'll change that part kinda stuff.

Well in doing this, we kicked the idea around of getting a old car/truck and fixin it up.....he said he'd help me learn to work on it. So that's what I did, I hit craigslist and found a 67 C-10.....

was a good starting project. The POx2 had it painted and left it sit in his garage for 7-8 yrs. He sold it to the PO, and he dropped a ZZ4 350 in it and it sat in his garage for 3 yrs. Then I got it! The PO put the motor in place but didnt hook anything up...no wire/hoses/lines nothing. So it was a brand new motor just sitting in the motor mounts.

Slowly we started hooking parts up and replacing things here and there.

Decided I couldnt drive it at the stock height so I called down to Early Classic Enterprises and talked to Stan (I hope Im not mixing these names up its been a while) and he was AWESOME! I called to order springs and ended up getting off the phone with Springs, Spindles, Track bar, Pwr Disk Brake Conversion! haha I was really busy with work, so I had a buddy (Derrick)install all that stuff for a little extra cash. Then I had the truck sent over to get some exhaust hooked up.......and my first chance to drive the truck came! Man I was like a kid at X-mas or maybe a 16 yr old that just got his license. I was so damn excited!! Still had some things I had to do, so it went back in the garage as Derby Season was upon us again and that takes alotta time when Im not doing my real job.

DrtyJack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
DrtyJack75

uhhh "In Over My Head" build - PB/Accuair Parts

(Meant to put these in the past post)

My other love....67 Lincoln 2 door!

After the season ended and I started thinking about my truck again, I got non-volunteer orders to move to another airframe and move down to Mississippi. Not happy, I followed the orders and that brings me to the present. I went to Scrapin' the Coast, which is a car show down here in Gulfport/Biloxi MS.....I saw a couple frame draggin C10s and it fueled my fire. I had talked to Nate at Porterbuilt a few times because I was always interested in his product but just didnt think I could do that kinda work. I again called Nate and we went back and forth thru a couple emails and he sent me a email to call him. We talked about what I wanted and what he could do for me........you know, hold my hand (thru the phone), answer all the stupid a$$ questions I'd have installing his products, and then he made me an offer on a complete set-up. I had went out drinking the night prior and think I was still a little drunk, but I said the hell with it. I've seen his products on these on trucks, it's the look I want and my truck aint going no where anytime soon. Might as well GO FOR IT! I called him back, dropped the CC number.....

So why did I tell you all this.....because Im gonna need ya'lls help! I'm sure I'll ask some stupid questions and I'm sure I'll do some dumb things. I'm open to constructive critisim....so let me have it!

This guy showed up the other day....

and he left these...

I was down with the flu this last week...but enough of all that....this is where the fun/frustration/blood/sweat/tears starts!! Im STOKED!!

Last edited by DrtyJack75; 08-21-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
DrtyJack75

Re: uhhh "In Over My Head" build - PB/Accuair Parts

8am today, I hit the garage! Jesus, this humidity in MS will KILL YOU!!

93 degrees, 59% humidity (low today), HEAT INDEX 106!

Ok, so I started my research online...and Ill give credit where credit is due! Im not one to re-invent the wheel. I found this post and man it's great! Step by Step taking the Front Clip Off

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=194094

Clips ready to come off, but I need some help! So Im at a stand still....

Im gonna start with the rear, but since Im lazy and dont want to turn my truck around....I'm going to pull the front clip off, then the cab, then the bed. Since I was kinda stuck till I can get some help over here, I unbolted the bed. Its ready to go when I ge to that part.

Here's the rear PB Components

Man this stuff is SWEEEET! Thanks Nate!! I hope I make you proud and not F this up!! hahaha

Last edited by DrtyJack75; 08-21-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
smbrouss70

Looks like a nice project! Nice Bike too! I should have found a truck that already had the paint and body done like you did. My truck has been redone mechanically a couple of times al ready, but it still looks like crap!

I'll be in your neck of the woods in a month and a half for Cruisin' the Coast! If you like hot rods, you'll love this event.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build

Last edited by smbrouss70; 08-22-2010 at 10:53 AM.
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
DrtyJack75

yeah for the most part it's pretty solid. Going to have to replace one of the rocker panels so Im going to shave everything else while Im at it. Gotta repaint it, might as well do all the other stuff to.

Im looking forward to Crusin' the Coast, I really enjoyed Scrapin' the Coast...I heard Crusin' the Coast was way better! I cant wait!!

Today is beautiful so I did my version of Crusin' the Coast since the truck wont be on the road for a while!

Hopefully this week, I can get someone over here to help me lift everything off the frame.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
1sik52
Account Suspended

Where about in OS are you? I'm building my Blazer with all Porterbuilt and Accuair also.
Posted via Mobile Device
1sik52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking forward to updates...
Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
DrtyJack75

Well I found a Mechanic/Painter looking for work that made me a deal I couldnt refuse....Should be picking it up tomorrow!

She needs a good cleaning, waxing, and wheels! I cant stop looking at the pictures...

here's a picture out in the sun....Chevrolet Vega Blue....I LOVE IT!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
VA72C10
VA72C10

Very nice!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
DrtyJack75

Thank You!!

It's getting buttoned up tonight....hopefully have it back tomorrow! (but Ive heard that for weeks)

Im so damn excited to get it back...still needs a few things before she hits the road but it's close!
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Raguemoe

Wow you work fast, some details would be nice. BTW nice bike!
Posted via Mobile Device
Raguemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #12
DrtyJack75

THX!!

Well I never could of done it this fast....I would of been working on it for the next 2 yrs so I went ahead and had it done!

When I pick it up, Ill get a bunch of pictures.....he supposedly took pictures throughout the build.

It's not a show truck but it should be a damn nice daily driver.....we took it down to the frame, cleaned it and painted with Rustoleum (like another board member), installed PB dropmember and trailing arm kit, Shaved alotta stuff and painted.

I still need to get a steering wheel, exhaust, driveline, stereo, etc etc....but it's getting close!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
67cheby
67cheby

nice progress... now get us some pics !! LOL
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
DrtyJack75

Weather is crappy today...Im gonna pick her up tomorrow! Hopefully have some pictures tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
mrhino
Account Suspended

looks good, Love the porter-built stuff too.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
BigShoe24
True Addiction

Very nice, super clean truck!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Okay, we got to see the stance but we need to see the installed components that get it there.

Great build!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
belowme51

ttt
belowme51 is offline   Reply With Quote