The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Andyboy

Torsion bar bolt

Dumb question but never worked with torsion bars before. I want to lower my 62 and wanted to make sure If these were the right bolts to loosen? Thanks
Attached Images

Andyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
PAPA KENT

Re: Torsion bar bolt

yes,those are the correct bolts,on mine the square upper nuts turn also so you will have to put a wrench on them so they don't turn otherwise it wont change your height.when i bring mine up close to stock height the upper square nuts don't turn but when the pressure starts to come off mine do turn.

good luck!
PAPA KENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
forestb

make sure you count how many times you turn the bolts
forestb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA KENT View Post
yes,those are the correct bolts,on mine the square upper nuts turn also so you will have to put a wrench on them so they don't turn otherwise it wont change your height.when i bring mine up close to stock height the upper square nuts don't turn but when the pressure starts to come off mine do turn.

good luck!

I rode the LOLO Motorway a couple of years ago on my 625 KTM dirt/street bike, it was really a neat ride. Hard to believe Lewis and Clark went over it in the 1800's....Really pretty country. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
PAPA KENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
I rode the LOLO Motorway a couple of years ago on my 625 KTM dirt/street bike, it was really a neat ride. Hard to believe Lewis and Clark went over it in the 1800's....Really pretty country. Kieth
they had to be some tough guys,they sure separated the men from the boys,in the last 30 years i (think)i have ridden every trail and old logging road around here it is beautiful country. thanks kieth!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Andyboy

Thanks guys, I'll post pics when I do it.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Andyboy

Is 4" to much to lower with torsion bars? How many inches is safe? Or how much did you guys lower the frontend? Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
forestb

I lowered mine 2 with the torsion bars and 2.5 with drop spindles. I don't know what is safe and what is not. But I have heard that if you undo them to much the heads of the bolts can scrape on the ground.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Andyboy

hey forestb, with the drop spindels how much did it drop. also with the drop spindels, did you have to run disc brakes?
Old 10-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #10
forestb

2.5 inches and yes I did have to run disks.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
PAPA KENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyboy View Post
Is 4" to much to lower with torsion bars? How many inches is safe? Or how much did you guys lower the frontend? Thanks
i think you need to post a picture of yours first before anyone can answer your question.what i mean is does your truck sit at stock height now?or has it been cranked down sometime in the last 50 years,or anywwhere in between? i don't remember right now and i threw away my measurements but i beleive after i took it up to stock height and brought it back down again that i lowered it 2 1/2" - 3". it all depends on how much you are trying to gain from where it is now.

here is a picture of mine with stock suspenion and i think i still have 2" before it hits the snubers.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
Andyboy

Heres mine all stock. I dont think the PO lowered it at all. I just want to get rid of the gap up front and level it out.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
PAPA KENT

Ok,you can easily lower yours as far as mine is with your stock suspension,but remember to lower each bolt the same amount of turns to keep it even.by the looks of yours i would take each one down about 4 turns,then roll the truck back and forth while turning the wheels.the truck will drop just a little bit more and you can get a accurate height.you will have to get the truck aligned after that because your camber should be off quite a bit but if you don't go lower than mine a front end shop will be able to set your camber with no problem.just be sure to use a front end man that that knows the older rigs.there is a big difference between a man that aligns a truck to specs and a good one who aligns it to the vehicle.