The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

Crossmember install help.

Went to mount my crossmember (double hump) and I'm having a weird problem. I'm replacing the stock one (with catylatic conv) so I'm going to have to drill some holes in the frame but my crossmember isn't sitting flat on the frame. It's like where the stock crossmember was bolted down is warped or something. If I line it up with two holes on the passenger side the passenger side fits flush but I can stick my finger under it on the driver side. Hard to explain in words, here are some pics.

Is this normal? I would hope not.

My first thought was maybe it's in the wrong holes on the passenger side (because there are many) but the vertical support lines up with it bolted in it's current spot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
donut

Re: Crossmember install help.

Is the passenger side bolted down? Does it sit somewhat flat just placed in position?
Saw something similar in my 1 ton, had to work both sides somewhat together. A slight warp/bend in the frame flange will amount to a bunch 3-1/2 foot later.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
88Jimmy4x4

your trans isnt bolted to mount/crossmember in pics is it?

looks like ebrake cable holding it up, I have same crossmember and my cable is above not below
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
Is the passenger side bolted down? Does it sit somewhat flat just placed in position?
Saw something similar in my 1 ton, had to work both sides somewhat together. A slight warp/bend in the frame flange will amount to a bunch 3-1/2 foot later.
The passenger side is flat where it is at. It just has bolts run through to keep it in place, not bolted. The bolts are in two large holes that I believe the previous crossmember was in because the top brace lines up perfectly.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post
your trans isnt bolted to mount/crossmember in pics is it?

looks like ebrake cable holding it up, I have same crossmember and my cable is above not below
The e-brake is not put together. The exhaust was in the way so I removed the ebrake line to lower the pipes. Would you happen to have a picture of your crossmember would you? And no, trans isn't in the truck right now (or engine for that matter ). I have to get this crossmember situated before I can re-install everything.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
88Jimmy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
The e-brake is not put together. The exhaust was in the way so I removed the ebrake line to lower the pipes. Would you happen to have a picture of your crossmember would you? And no, trans isn't in the truck right now (or engine for that matter ). I have to get this crossmember situated before I can re-install everything.
no pic, if I were you I would put bolts in and wrench it down, clamp it down if needed to install bolts/nuts
88Jimmy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jimmy4x4 View Post
no pic, if I were you I would put bolts in and wrench it down, clamp it down if needed to install bolts/nuts
Problem is, there are no holes there. Since my truck didn't come with this type of crossmember I've got to drill the two holes on the drivers side. Only problem is I don't know where to drill because of the bend in the frame there.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
J Knight

Flip the crossmember over and bolt it to the bottom of the frame on the right side and use the hole on the driver side as a template to mark the bottom of the frame so you will know where to drill your holes. Masking tape is good for this so you can better see your marks.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
THE "10" SILVERADO

Figured out the problem guys. All I had to do was look from the front of the truck instead of the back. Apparently the e-brake bracket is in the way. The rivet on the side (not bottom) needs to be right above the hole I have to drill, and as you can see the bracket is in the way.

I think I can chisel the rivets out and cut a notch in the bracket so I can install the crossmember and then bolt the bracket back up. This a good plan?
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
J Knight

Your probably going to have to relocate the e-brake cable mount higher or lower to clear your exhaust.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
Your probably going to have to relocate the e-brake cable mount higher or lower to clear your exhaust.
I was a little afraid someone would say that. I was having doubts myself. I'm actually considering junking my entire e-brake setup and getting one off the newer year style that just goes down the driver side.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #12
huahuamick

Gush, this is just perfect!

huahuamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
I was a little afraid someone would say that. I was having doubts myself. I'm actually considering junking my entire e-brake setup and getting one off the newer year style that just goes down the driver side.
Im going to do the same crossmember conversion on my 82 and Im also contemplating going to the 84-87 e-brake set up. I believe they are required for inspection.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #14
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
Im going to do the same crossmember conversion on my 82 and Im also contemplating going to the 84-87 e-brake set up. I believe they are required for inspection.
Yeah, I had seen some people mention it but I havne't come across a thread on how to. I assume the brackets are rivited to the frame and then somehow there is a bracket on the axle. Still trying to figure out how to make/reuse that bracket on my 12 bolt but going to the new setup from what I've seen is a cleaner looking setup and I won't have my problem anymore. I do beleive they are required for inspection.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #15
THE "10" SILVERADO

Had some help today from my dad and we got this in. Used a air hammer to get the rivits and bracket out. Had to drill one hole. Frame was indeed bent there but after bolting it down with some grade 88by hardware it actually bent back into shape. Nice and flat now. Thanks Jknight, bolting up on bottom helped a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device