The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
sdotrivers15

What do you recommend for this rust?

Looking over this '67 small window I recently picked up and noticed some rust that I'm not too sure how to take care of it. The roof above & inside the cab all seem pretty solid around this area. This is up on the front of the cab above the doors. Suggestions?

sdotrivers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
big bad orange

Re: What do you recommend for this rust?

I would sand down the rusty area, then go like an inch farther in all directions to make sure the rust has not spread. I would then coat it in a rust converter and paint it. You may want to think about re caulking the drip rail too.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
sdotrivers15

It's rusted through, so was more curious if I need to go into the roof to see if its spread through between the shell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #4
hugger6933

First off welcome to the site. there is lots of great help on here. Now to the body rot. The thing to do is drill out the welds holding the drip rail on. Then drill that sucker out [the spot welds] then remove and replace the drip rails. they can be purchased through any number of parts vendors for say less than $25 per side. Now once you get the drip rail off and there is more rot underneath the rail this is when you cut out the rust [an couple of inches past is usually a good idea]and make some patch panels yourself. you can get the areas prepped for the panels being that all the rust is cut out then if you need to make small cardboard plugs to fill the holes that have been left after the cut outs then make then just a little smaller and transfer that on to the sheet metal then cut that out and weld in the new panels. Bam you just learned how to patch trucks. Once the panel is welded in [now take your time here as not to heat up the metal and the metal around it or else it will warp and be much harder to finish out for paint] grind down the weld and then place the new drip rail on then plug weld it to the cab. you can do that by first placing the drip rail where it best fits then mark the places for the holes to go. Then take it back down and drill you some holes to plug weld the rail on. Once you get that far grind those welds down and fill the spots left by grinding if needed. then your ready to take on the next and bigger project. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
sdotrivers15

Hugger, that's good info. Thank you.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:22 AM   #6
Thorkle Rod

It's cancer I would cut it out and replace
Thorkle Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
franken

I think I'd dig the seam sealer out of the entire gutter and blast the rust away to see how bad things are.
Chances are the rust is caused by the seam sealer failing long ago and water getting in. That means everything in the area and below may be rusted from the inside. There's a good chance there's rust under the windshield as well.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #8
sdotrivers15

After doing a little reading, I think I may end up getting rid of the drip rail all together & weld in a piece of 1/8 bar stock, that's further down the road though.

Figure'd I should start on something a little easier to get my feet wet (This is my first resto). What do you guys think about the direction I should take on the hood? I've looked around, not really much are far as hood patches, so I'll be stuck with cutting out that cancer from the hood lip and welding in a new piece of steel. What I was also curious about is how do I make sure the rust on the insides of the hood supports is taken care of?

Here's a picture of the truck I picked up.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
volksworld

see the major difference between the hood and roof is that the hood unbolts...that allows you to throw it out and start with a much better one
Old 07-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Overall, that looks like a nice truck!

Unfortunately, with these hoods, especially the 67-68, they tend to hold moisture along that front lip and rot out. If it was just a small spot I'd say to try to repair it, but it looks like the entire lip is shot. The good news is if you keep looking on craigslist and maybe hit up the Charlotte Autofair or some other swap meets you'll find a good one. I bought a near perfect original paint hood from the Autofair a couple years ago for $100, so they're out there.

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #11
sdotrivers15

Gotcha. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for a better condition hood. I still think I'm going to repair it to see what I can do with it, if I mess up, I'm just out some time & a little metal. Was gonna try to hit up the super chevy show in October with a list of parts to be on the look out for. I'll check out Charlotte early next year also.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #12
slikside

sub'd for Jim's tutorial!