The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
cvalcore

pulling to the right when brakeing

i have a problem with my 1990 4x4 suburban pulling to the right when i brake i have changed the axles i whent from 1/2 to 3/4 ton and it had the same problem before i changed them out i also bleed the crap out of the brakes and i replaced the calipers and pads i also checked the wheel bearings. i also have a brake light on in the dash it was blinking before i changed the axles and now it just stays on all the time.
cvalcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
CamaroChris

Re: pulling to the right when brakeing

I have the same problem. '86 3/4 4x4 I'm thinking its the proportioning valve. I'm not sure yet though because I'm still working on my engine swap. Also, If I don't drive my burb for a week, when I take it for a drive the first mile or so the rear breaks lock up as soon as you touch the breaks. do you have this problem also?
1987 Jimmy Build, Project Cheap A$$ Build Link
CamaroChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
cvalcore

my rears dont lock up me but i was leaning toward the proportioning valve also but i cant seem to find a new one im going to go to the junk yard next weekend and see if i can get one and try it out ill let you no if that solves the problem or not.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
tobiahr

i had the same problem on a blazer. check for a leaking or stuck cylinder. mine turned out to be a leaking slave cylinder on one of the rear drums
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
BlackZ

I recently had this same problem, only it pulls extremely hard to the left. After replacing the pads, rotors, bearings, and calipers, it still pulled to the left. Come to find out the RF soft line from the frame to the caliper was collapsed internally. Replaced both for about $20 and it stops straight as an arrow. Hope this helps!
BlackZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
cvalcore

i already changed all my brake lines to braided stainless steel one's when i swapped the axles and i already checked the rear wheel cylinders and they look good.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
tobiahr

wheel bearings?
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #8
cvalcore

they where a little loose but i looked at them and they looked good and i repacked them and i can drive it for a while and feel the hub and they don't feel any hotter than they should. i really don't think its anything to do with axles because like i said i changed both the front and rear axles two 3/4 ton and im having the same problem as the half ton axles did.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #9
cvalcore

OK i have not figured out the brake light issue just yet but i did find out why it was pulling to the right when braking the drivers side leaf spring center pin was busted in the middle of the spring pack and it was allowing the axle to shift forward about 6" when braking and as soon as i drove forward it centered it self again. so it must have busted almost right after i put the lift on.