The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #1
hobbz

harbor frieght mixed review

i ordered one of their el cheepo timing lights, 12.99. i got it and went out to time the truck and nothing, no light at all, i tried it on 3 differend plug wires thinking maybe i was missing on a cyl. but still nothing.

i called cust service and they asked what the prob was with it. i told them and they asked if i wanted my money back or wanted it replaced. i replaced it and they said repackage it and sit it on the front porch and ups will be there to get it to return it free of charge and then they would send the new one out.

hopefully the new one i get will work. i will update when i get it.

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
cableguy0

a timing light isnt something i would buy from harbor freight or even sears for that matter. the plugs constantly fall out of the end and dont make good connection becomes a real pita. you dont wanna ask how much i payed for mine though
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
masterbeavis
Having issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
a timing light isnt something i would buy from harbor freight or even sears for that matter. the plugs constantly fall out of the end and dont make good connection becomes a real pita. you dont wanna ask how much i payed for mine though
I agree. Tools that are important to be accurate I do not buy from HF. I buy alot from them, but not these kinds of tools. On the ot her hand, I will not spend $500 on a snap-on or mac timing light, despite the fact they have pretty red LEDs and numbers on them. I settle on a light with the good ol dial on the back for figuring out where your advance is.

The Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
masterbeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

I love Harbor Freight. But it's a conditional love. You have to understand upfront that there is a reason they are so cheap, their stuff is not great quality. But if there is some tool you need for a project, only expect to use it a few times, and accuracy is not a factor, go to Harbor Freight. If you expect to make a living using it, or use it for a lifetime, forget it. I'm lucky enough to have a store near my house and whenever there is some project where I need a specific tool for that project only I'll head to HF. I don't want to shell out the $$ for something that will last forever, I don't need it that long. My brother-in-law got married and moved into his own place and needed some of the everyday tools, but had no money. Go to HF buy a tape, hammer, some wrenches and a plier set for under $25. Is it great stuff, no, is it good enough for some one who might use it 1-2 times in the next 5 years, yes. Just know what it is before going into it...cheap crap, then you won't be disappointed when it lets you down.
augie is offline   Reply With Quote