The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2016, 04:05 PM   #1
cgster

6.0 swap question

Fixing to buy a 2004 2500 hd truck and use the engine and transmission out of it for my 68 truck. Im no mechanic and have a lot of homework to do on the subject but had a question that I see when looking at others post. Will I still have to worry about wiring harness issues if I buy the whole truck? I see a lot of post that relate to wiring harness issues and wanted to get some clarification on this. Thanks.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
truckster

Re: 6.0 swap question

That's definitely a good option, but you'll still deal with issues. You'll want to clean up the wiring harness to remove everything you don't need.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
gottattooz

I stripped a 2004 gmc savana 2500 and put the engine, transmission, complete wiring harness, dash cluster steering column and fuel pump into my 68 short/wide. C10 swap headers and some motor mount adapters and you're set.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468341

- Josh
2017 Suzuki M109R
gottattooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
kehstr

Really all you need is the motor mount adapter plates ($45 on ebay), a little bit of basic wiring knowledge to adapt the wiring harness, a few extra power steering lines to adapt the different lines together, and a little bit of time, basic tools, and the knowledge to do it. Then later a passenger side trail blazer exhaust manifold, and a little bit of tweaking on the driver side, and then you have an ls truck.
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
snipescastle2

Talking Re: 6.0 swap question

There are several places that will modify your engine harness and omit unwanted features such as the rear oxygen sensors, VATS (vehicle anti-theft)etc..they can make it emissions compliant (all pollution controls in place) or bare bones for performance use. Most only require 4 wire hook up, there is one guy who even provides the "pin outs" so you can modify
your own harness, however, you would be better off letting somebody else to do this, as they can
arrange the harness to save space and make it a neat appearance.
Next, you have to install a high pressure fuel pump, either in tank, or external mount.
Also, unless you are going to a "return less" fuel system (most newer cars and trucks have them now) you will need to run a fuel return line back to the fuel tank.
I have a few pictures of a modification one person did on their corvette for a return less system I can send you later,(its at my work, and I'm not going to be there till Sunday)
it was really simple to do also, but you have to have the fuel rail setup on The intake for
A return -less fuel system. So really, asides from the engine mount adapters, the wiring harness rework / aftermarket replacement harness and fuel system, everything else is pretty straight forward. The PCM (power train Control Module) also controls the automatic transmission, if you intend on using the factory transmission from the 2500 HD, you will need that harness from the transmission as well. If your not going to modify the engine, you can use the stock program, if you plan to modify the engine, you'll have to have it reprogrammed for your mods ( delete of the rear oxygen sensors, non essential sensors,etc) they can also modify your shift points, harder shifts, etc... most pcm tuners can explain this in greater detail.
Hope this helps, didn't want to make this to detailed., but give you some .Basic info.
Ben Smith

http://www.lt1swap.com/wiringharness.htm. there is a ton of information relating to these swaps here.

Last edited by snipescastle2; 02-17-2016 at 10:05 AM. Reason: adding
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #6
cgster

Thanks for all the great information guys! That helped clarify the wiring harness issues I was wondering about.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #7
Daman

I'm looking at this kit.

Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQ3rQXco4k

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/300...k5NhoCM-Dw_wcB
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
wannabefastcrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman View Post
This is to carb a ls motor. Super simple to use. (I run this kit on a 5.3 I use for demollition derby). It's not for fuel injection applications.
wannabefastcrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Daman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabefastcrf View Post
This is to carb a ls motor. Super simple to use. (I run this kit on a 5.3 I use for demollition derby). It's not for fuel injection applications.
Yep, original poster said he wasn't a mechanic. Pretty straight forward with no headaches.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

My biggest wiring problems were related to being a 50 year old truck, almost none were related to the LS engine. I've always run harnesses made by FuelInjectionConnection, simply out of my gratitude for their quality and customer service. Iirc its 4-6 wires, all +12v, that need to be connected to effectively run.

Now....what the wiring looks like in the truck is a different story. Things like steering column swaps, led lights, and other body and dash wiring was far more cumbersome.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

OP Where in Texas are you? IM in Ft Worth and I know someone who can help you with the swap or harness help.

I am a computer tech that did this swap in my car port over time on my 65. So this is a completely doable project if you choose the right products and do things yourself when you can.

Good luck!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:45 AM   #12
cgster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
OP Where in Texas are you? IM in Ft Worth and I know someone who can help you with the swap or harness help.

I am a computer tech that did this swap in my car port over time on my 65. So this is a completely doable project if you choose the right products and do things yourself when you can.

Good luck!
Clyde, im in the Beaumont area.