The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
stunna

Question Budget Brake Build

Has anyone on here built their own front disc brake system kit, using some of the auto parts chain stores? i know i would have to probably buy aftermarket or used spindles.
stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
724x4a/cchevy
Self-proclaimed LED man

Re: Budget Brake Build

is your truck 3/4 ton? If not it would be way easier to just swap a 5-lug 71-72 disk brake setup. Get the benefits of better wheel choices too.
I also do LED:
-Third Brake/Cargo
-Brake (truck and burb)
-Reverse (truck and burb)
-67-68 Front Turn Signals
-69-70 Front Turn Signals
-71-72 Front Turn Signals
-GMC Front Turn Signals
I can also do custom lights for other vehicles....i did a set for a AMC Gremlin once
Norwood Survivor
724x4a/cchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724x4a/cchevy View Post
is your truck 3/4 ton? If not it would be way easier to just swap a 5-lug 71-72 disk brake setup. Get the benefits of better wheel choices too.
its a 1/2 ton. was wanting all new parts, just wanting to know has anyone done this with success.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
jorgensensc

Change over the front crossmember to a 73 + square body front crossmember, then go to the parts store and buy replacement front end parts. The crossmember will probably run you about 50-100.00, then all the replacement parts if needed. It is probably the cheapest way to go.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgensensc View Post
Change over the front crossmember to a 73 + square body front crossmember, then go to the parts store and buy replacement front end parts. The crossmember will probably run you about 50-100.00, then all the replacement parts if needed. It is probably the cheapest way to go.
Shawn
what about a 72 front end, then buying all replacement parts, i thought this would work, am i wrong?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
SS68

if you put the front crossmember off of a 73+ what about the brake booster would you need to change that also or will the old one be able to use it. will the brakes lines go right in? what about the rear how do you change those to disk?
SS68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I don't know if you are familiar with the FAQ forum or not. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll down to the "Brakes and Suspension related FAQ's". In that section you should find some information.

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the new people that read this thread will know how to get to it. Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
I don't know if you are familiar with the FAQ forum or not. Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you will see the "Forum Jump" box. Click on the little down arrow on the right side of the box and scroll down to "FAQ Truck Tech". On that page go down to "Thread / Thread Starter: FAQ Index thread". When you get into that scroll down to the "Brakes and Suspension related FAQ's". In that section you should find some information.

I could have just posted a direct link but there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section and now the new people that read this thread will know how to get to it. Thanks to Krue for indexing the FAQ's.

LockDoc
thanks man, i had never used that section! Does anybody know if the 73-87 thing will work with a porter drop member? would there be issues with that?