The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #1
Hcb3200

55-59 kingpin/spindle plug/caps/welch/dust cover source

Does anyone know the "modern" part number or source for the plugs/caps/welch dust plugs that are on top and bottom of king pin that you stake in after a king pin service?
Or have a few laying around they want to get rid of?

I have the full kit but need a couple of replacements and don't want to buy a whole new king pin kit just to get a couple of caps.

Exact model is a 1956 3200 Chevrolet.
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
burnin oil

Re: 55-59 kingpin/spindle plug/caps/welch/dust cover source

I got the king pins through our local mom and pop. They use orieleys parts network.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:40 AM   #3
mr48chev

They are just an expansion plug. Size might be an issue for quick sourcing but They are out there in singles.

McMaster Carr has a page of them https://www.mcmaster.com/welch-plugs/

They will do small orders without an issue.

I'd say that if you have a NAPA store or old school parts house locally the best way is to take one of the new ones you have in, lay it on the counter and ask if they can get you two like this. It's probably best to not even say what they fit, just that you are looking for X number of them. I'm thinking that Welch plug is the right name for them though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Hcb3200

Great idea taking a new one to store and I am lucky I have a Napa warehouse with store front a few miles away. It’s my go to when the locals don’t have it In stock
Hcb3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
mr48chev

That's the best bet.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #6
dsraven

if you have an engine rebuilder close by they may also have one as well as an older front end shop that does a lot of trucks/4x4's or spring shop that does front end work. simply a frost plug/freeze plug/expansion plug/welch plug/core plug. a sheet metal place could possibly punch one out for you as well. it starts out dish shaped so a flat plug could be easily made dish shaped if you really get stuck for one. stick it in the hole with the high side facing out and then give it a couple hits with a ball pein hammer in the center of the high spot. just enough to make the cup fit the hole. use a little sealant when installing. a cup shaped plug may also work and could be shaved off after to look proper and not stick out. it is supposed to seal weather out of the kingpin bushing.
remember that when greasing the front end needs to be "hung" so the wear surfaces will get lubed properly. personally I try to install the grease nipples so they are easily reached from one side of the axle-like in front or behind- as that makes less crawling around and if they point towards the rer they are less apt to get damaged on the gun attachemnt part.
here is a link that may help somebody looking for the correct assembly of the retainer pin for the kingpin. somebody here was inquiring about that a little bit ago.
did your kit come with the brass bushings or the teflon covered bushings? brass usually needs to be reamed to fit the pin.
https://www.trifive.com/threads/56-t...diagram.66295/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #7
BBPanel

All else fails try the link in this article:
https://www.britishcarweek.org/welch_plug.html
BBPanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
mr48chev

Napa should have or be able to get them but on things like this that are actually a common item quite often it is best to not confuse the parts person with extra details.

As I said earlier just walking in and laying them on the counter and asking if they have or can get two of them is most likely the best route. They aren't listed in any front-end parts listings even on The Filling Station site.

The other thing is dig out the digital caliper, measure them and search online for that size. That would give you a brand and part number to go to Napa with to cross.