The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
eric_banks32

New to forum and interested in a truck

Hello all,

New to the forums and looking at buying a truck. Right now all I have is a couple of pictures to go by. Wanted to get your opinions before I drive a couple hours to look at it. Here is what the add says.

1952 3/4 TON CHEVY WITH A FACTORY FLATBED IT HAS BEEN SITTING A WHILE ALL THE TIRES ARE STILL UP - 216 ENGINE -3 SPEED TRANS. TRUCK IS STILL A VERY SOLID FOR ITS AGE - BED HAS GOOD WOOD WITH A LITTLE WORK THIS TRUCK COULD BE ON THE ROAD.

Seller has a title and says on window is broke. I'm unsure about the factory flatbed. Is the way the frame is under the bed correct? Also the rear end is not original to the truck though thats not a big deal for me. Any input would be appreciated as I have very limited knowledge with these old trucks.

Last edited by AceX; 02-27-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Screwed up and got confused on a ruling. post restored.
eric_banks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Re: New to forum and interested in a truck

At first glance I noticed the hood emblems are missing. That might indicate someone has been "customizing". Sometimes they take a can opener to the sheet metal so be circumspect as you inspect. You can expect some rust, the more the more trouble. The best advice I can give is to make several comparisons to find the one with the least rust and "customizing". A good rule of thumb is that each rust area can cost you $200.00+. Sometimes it's best to pay more for a less rusted truck.
Good luck!

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
eric_banks32

ok.....post got edited and the pics are gone?.........

Lets try again.
Attached Images

eric_banks32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

That looks like a 3/4 ton flatbed from here. Wood mounts with long U bolts are the way they done. If you want a p/u you can swap the longbed sides on or you'll have to cut the frame to shorten it for shortbed sides. You're looking at something that will have like 5.17 gears and shake your fillings at 49 mph maximum. Looks like short running boards as well (to be expected).

Glass is flat glass and not more than about $50 a pane to fix. Cab corners look good enough for now. Get floor shots and also where the cowls meet the fenders. They tend to rot there.

And with a little work, any truck can be on the road. Just up to what the definition of "little" is!
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
OrrieG

pop the front hub cap to make sure its 3/4 ton (8 lug) if that is what you are after.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Also, you might want to run the VIN through one of the search functions like the ones on Stovebolt.com

I'm assuming there are links around here as well but I know the ones at SB

It'll tell you year, make, and model pretty well.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote