The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Got my plates

After months of pondering. (19 to be exact) I decided to go with black/yellow as opposed to blue/yellow

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY

Last edited by KevsClassics; 08-02-2009 at 09:37 PM.
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: Got my plates

How 'bout explainin' to a Non-Calif guy what the plate thing is in CA. I see CA trucks on ebay and they mention what kind of plate is has. What's that all about?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Very nice! I plan to get mine back to black n' yellow pretty soon as well.

Who did the work? Did you just find a paint guy that would do it, or did you work with someone that specializes in this?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

So tell us how you did it...Let me take a stab at it...Did you order personal plates with 7D2 BLZ...and then license plate tv make you the plates in the old Black/Yellow style? ...Looks Cool...

Last edited by OldSkool71; 08-02-2009 at 08:52 PM.
OldSkool71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

They look killer and im wonderin how you had those plates done?

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
How 'bout explainin' to a Non-Calif guy what the plate thing is in CA. I see CA trucks on ebay and they mention what kind of plate is has. What's that all about?
We like to have vintage plates from the era of our vehicles as opposed to todays ugly plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Very nice! I plan to get mine back to black n' yellow pretty soon as well.

Who did the work? Did you just find a paint guy that would do it, or did you work with someone that specializes in this?
If you have plates with California stamped in contact C/10 King his wife does an excellent job repainting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool71 View Post
So tell us how you did it...Let me take a stab at it...Did you order personal plates with 7D2 BLZ...and then license plate tv make you the plates in the old Black/Yellow style? ...Looks Cool...
Oldschool71 you stabbed it right on the nose

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
chevybuldr

I love it Kevin!!! Looks right on and I think you were right to much blue with the others. How much were they? Did you hear that Cali started to ok the use of the black plate again if the year of the plate matched the car. You got me thinking maybe I will get some blacks for the 'burb.
chevybuldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
C/10 King

Thumbs up Re: Got my plates

Looking good Kevin,let me buy you a beer.
1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
vectorit
What?

My plates are the ugly whites, and the California is not raised letters. Am I still gonna be able to have em set up as black n' yellow's?
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
My plates are the ugly whites, and the California is not raised letters. Am I still gonna be able to have em set up as black n' yellow's?
You will not be able to repaint your existing ones in black/yellow. Since you have a 68, black/yellow is correct for your burb, and you can find a cleared set of black/yellow plates and use them. They turn up at Pomona and on feebay.

Kevin's look great, and better than the blue/yellow in my opinion but are not correct for 72. I seriously doubt that he will get hassled though, as I have seen a lot of other cars with non-correct plates driving around. I am contemplating changing my blue/yellow plates to black/yellow just because I think they look better.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 08-03-2009 at 01:48 AM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #11
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Kevin did you really get your plates at licenseplates.tv? How are they do they really look like the origianls did back then in person as they do in your pictures? My Orig Plates are thrashed,I have been wanting to order some through licenseplates.tv but haven't heard of anyone who accually bought some through them, and did't want to spent money on something if it were crap. How do you like them are they stamped out like the originals they look great.....Thanks Pablo
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 08-03-2009 at 04:41 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 AM   #12
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
leddzepp did you really get your plates at licenseplates.tv? How are they do they really look like the origianls did back then in person as they do in your pictures? My Orig Plates are thrashed,I have been wanting to order some through licenseplates.tv but haven't heard of anyone who accually bought some through them, and did't want to spent money on something if it were crap. How do you like them are they stamped out like the originals they look great.....Thanks Pablo
I did not get my plates at licenseplates.tv. The pictures above are of Kevin's Blazer. If you are referring to another thread with my plates, they are the original plates that I restored myself. I believe Kevin got his at licenseplates.tv, and they look fantastic!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
slosteve

Quote:
Way back when Calif. didn't have so many vehicles they would use just one color of plate for a few years, such as a yellow background with black letters. Then they would change to a different combination such as black background - yellow letters. Not sure but I think that's the only colors they used for many years. In the mid '70's they went to blue background - yellow letters. Then they had to start adding more #'s, etc. I think that it was the late '70's when they started with more color combo's offered in the same year.
So if you have a '56 Pickup, or a 32 coupe, it's more prestigious to have the period correct plate.
slosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 AM   #14
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I did not get my plates at licenseplates.tv. The pictures above are of Kevin's Blazer. If you are referring to another thread with my plates, they are the original plates that I restored myself. I believe Kevin got his at licenseplates.tv, and they look fantastic!
Oh My bad I did mean Kevins Blazer Sorry, It's ganna be a long night....
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 08-03-2009 at 04:42 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
California is a state where the tag stays with the vehicle as long as it is continually registered,which at some point required continuous insurance also.Aside from being neat to have the vintage tag that has been with the vehicle all along,it`s an indicator that the vehicle,most likely,has been in continuous service rather than sitting around for a long spell.

OH!!!!Cool plates on the Blazer,Kev.You picked the right color.it`s better to have them stand out rather than almost match up.And,they`re right for originals.I never liked almost matching blues.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-03-2009 at 05:25 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #16
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great plate on the Blazer Kevin, it definitely finishes the look.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey-pablo View Post
Kevin did you really get your plates at licenseplates.tv? How are they do they really look like the origianls did back then in person as they do in your pictures? My Orig Plates are thrashed,I have been wanting to order some through licenseplates.tv but haven't heard of anyone who accually bought some through them, and did't want to spent money on something if it were crap. How do you like them are they stamped out like the originals they look great.....Thanks Pablo
Yes thats where I got them. I got them for my Impala also with my original text the car came with. I put them side by side with my old plates and perfect match. I am very satisfied with them. Thanks for the nice compliments guys.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #18
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevsClassics View Post
After months of pondering. (19 to be exact) I decided to go with black/yellow as opposed to blue/yellow

I really like the plate ,,but ........... I might be sticking my foot in my mouth here and by saying it ..a lot of people ,espesially the ones that know our trucks will say ,,The truck isn't a 72.. by looking at the front clip.. not trying to affend you as I never would do that ,, just my opinon of what people will ask you .

Maybe I am wrong and if I am I will take a bite out of my hat ,,getting older and dont eat that much to eat the whole thing ..LOL

Again , I sure like the discription on the plate for a 72 blazer.. Gopapa Larry
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Kevin's look great, and better than the blue/yellow in my opinion but are not correct for 72.
There was a discussion on another thread, and it got a bit complicated... IIRC, there was some overlap as they used up the remaining supply of black plates as the blues were being introduced. My '72 has original black plates.

Kevin, I think you made the right choice, I love the look of those plates on your Blazer!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
There was a discussion on another thread, and it got a bit complicated... IIRC, there was some overlap as they used up the remaining supply of black plates as the blues were being introduced. My '72 has original black plates.
They were carried over from a previous vehicle, unless your truck is registered as a commercial vehicle. My 3/4 has the original commercial plates on them and are blue/yellow. It was first registered in 11-71. Black plates were stopped at the end of 1970, which is why a lot of 71's still had them.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #21
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
California is a state where the tag stays with the vehicle as long as it is continually registered,which at some point required continuous insurance also.Aside from being neat to have the vintage tag that has been with the vehicle all along,it`s an indicator that the vehicle,most likely,has been in continuous service rather than sitting around for a long spell.
Minnesota has similar plate rules (plate stays with the car even when sold) only we have a twist on it.
Remember 3M originally stood for MMM or Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing. The company was started here and is still based here. Since they have a strong lobbying group in St. Paul, we get to get new license plates every 7 years. You see 3M makes the reflective backing that is used on the plates so they lobbied our state to pass a law that we get to throw away perfectly good license plates every 7 years.

I've owned my 72 Chevelle since 1984 and I'm on my 4th set of plates. My truck since 1994 so I've only thrown 2 good sets away. Not only do I have to take off perfeclty good plates every 7 years, I get to pay extra for the privilege.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
They were carried over from a previous vehicle, unless your truck is registered as a commercial vehicle. My 3/4 has the original commercial plates on them and are blue/yellow. It was first registered in 11-71. Black plates were stopped at the end of 1970, which is why a lot of 71's still had them.
Well, now I'm confused all over again. Unless they are specialized plates, I thought the plates always stayed with the vehicle in California.

My K20 is -- has always been -- registered as a commercial vehicle, which is the way I understand virtually all pickups are in California. By your first sentence -- my black (commercial) plates are original.

Your next sentence says your original commercial plates are blue, which seems contradictory... or at least very confusing.

I'm not sure when my truck was first registered, but it was an early '72, built in August 1971.

Just to make sure, I am not arguing with you, just very confused at the moment. It happens more often at my age...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #23
mclairmo

I'm confused now, too. I have a 68 C10 with ugly white plates for some reason. How do I switch to black/yellow? Do I BUY new plates with same number I already have now? Do I paint my current plates black/yellow? Do I buy old original black/yellow plates and re-register with the new old tag number?
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #24
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Well, now I'm confused all over again. Unless they are specialized plates, I thought the plates always stayed with the vehicle in California.

My K20 is -- has always been -- registered as a commercial vehicle, which is the way I understand virtually all pickups are in California. By your first sentence -- my black (commercial) plates are original.

Your next sentence says your original commercial plates are blue, which seems contradictory... or at least very confusing.

I'm not sure when my truck was first registered, but it was an early '72, built in August 1971.

Just to make sure, I am not arguing with you, just very confused at the moment. It happens more often at my age...

My 3/4 ton is registered as a commercial vehicle; my 1/2 ton is not. One thing I have learned is never say "never" and never say "always" I have not in 30+ years here seen a 72 vehicle (commercial or otherwise) with black plates, but that does not mean some did not slip through at the end of the year in 71. According to the DMV website, black plates were used on some commercial vehicles in 72. Of course, if you look there, ask a DMV employee, and ask a CHP officer, you will get three different answers. All 72-up vehicles I have ever seen had blue plates. My 72 3/4 has blue plates, which were issued in 11-71.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 08-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #25
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairmo View Post
I'm confused now, too. I have a 68 C10 with ugly white plates for some reason. How do I switch to black/yellow? Do I BUY new plates with same number I already have now? Do I paint my current plates black/yellow? Do I buy old original black/yellow plates and re-register with the new old tag number?
Your truck has white plates because at some point one of the owners registered it with newer plates. This is very common as the old plates get lost, mutilated, etc. If you want to switch to black/yellow, you need to find a pair that has been cleared (not used to register a vehicle in the last 7 years) on feebay or Pomona swap meet, or you can buy new plates with your existing number from the company that Kevin had make his (it is not considered legal here, which is why the company won't ship them to a Calif address, but I doubt you will have any trouble) I personally would not do it with a newer number, as the sequence used now is different from that used in 68. Do not paint your existing plates because that is asking for trouble. Hope this helps.

Last edited by leddzepp; 08-03-2009 at 05:16 PM.