The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
mismith

'66 Project Truck (Power Brakes) ???

Hello,
New member here and a new owner of a "project and a half '66!" Big window Custom Cab. I must be crazy but here is my latest project. I saved this old beauty from the scrap yard by just a few days.

A friend spotted it way back off the road in a pasture on a fence line. I figured it would be the same old story from the owner. You know the one " No, I might fix it up one day, sorry." To my surprise the owner said "I was actually fixing to have it hauled to the scrap yard."

His 91 year old Father had owned it since 1971. It had been sitting in the pasture since 1999. The tires were off the rim, and the rest is obvious. I bought it for less than scrap price and have a clean NC title too! I got the same story we have all heard before, "It was running when we parked it."

I went to junk yard and got some tires to mount and got her rolling again. I did the usual tune up and changed the horrible black syrupy oil. The tank was clean as a whistle and empty. I put on a new fuel pump, added fresh 5 gallons, dumped a cap full in carb, hit the key and OH YES!! The sweet sound of resurrection! The old 250 six came back to life! The carb idles perfect, just a slight hesitation right when you hit the gas. Not bad for sitting that long. She smokes but runs very smooth. I have not gotten it warm yet because I had to find a replacement radiator. The PO had already taken the original out and sold it for scrap! Anyway, I need to do a compression check on all cylinders. It may clear up but she may need a rebuild?

My next step is to get the brakes up to par. I am leaving this truck original and intend on using it for small jobs here and there. Not using as a daily driver but I want to upgrade to a power booster and leave it as original drum/drum setup. I want as simple bolt on parts as you can get on this upgrade. I know it can be done many ways but here are my thoughts so far.

From my searches so far I think the best MC/Booster is:
1) stock Dual MC/Booster for a 1967 C10 such as this one on rockauto http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...=503715&p=rock
2) CaptainFabs Firewall Bracket (assuming this 67 C10 MC/Booster will bolt right up to it?)
3) New adjustable rod from pedal to new booster. (not real sure what I need here?)
4) split the front and rear brake lines somewhere to accommodate the new upgraded dual MC. (Not sure exactly where to do this or the best way?)

Thanks for any advice and pointers on this in advance! Here she is.

PS: If anyone has any extra good usable original chrome hubcaps laying around, I would be interested in them. Not looking for perfect ones, just not rusted through or split.

Thanks,
Mike

Update: Found a Nice Rust Free perfect hood from a '62 Fire Truck! Very lucky on that one! Also got a near perfect original Aluminum grill (not pictured) from a donor '66. I also bought a '66 parts truck that has a real nice bed and tail gate. It will be a long slow project.

Last edited by mismith; 08-21-2013 at 11:05 AM.
mismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
mr andrerson

Re: '66 Project Truck (Power Brakes) ???

welcome! you have a cool truck there with some genuine patina!!
mr andrerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
mismith

yep, one of my hot rod buddies gave me a FIT about changing out the hood. You can't tell from the pics. but that original hood was eat up with rust, sides near hinges and of course the front. I understand the whole patina rat rod look but I think I will restore this truck, it's in bad shape to leave as is. I think the biggest challenge is going to be the rust through under the roof lip above the windshield in the corners. I knew this was a bad spot on these trucks and this one is no exception. The parts truck I bought has a perfect cab but it is a small back window. I really want to save this Big back window cab.
mismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
padresag

there is a lot of info and answers to your questions in the following link
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559678
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
66 C10 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismith View Post
I think the biggest challenge is going to be the rust through under the roof lip above the windshield in the corners. I knew this was a bad spot on these trucks and this one is no exception. The parts truck I bought has a perfect cab but it is a small back window. I really want to save this Big back window cab.
My 66 has the same rust in the same place. With me not being a body man I was a bit concerned with how this was going to get repaired. Then I stumbled across a member (cortcomp) who was repairing his truck and it dawned on me, that's how I can fix my rust!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931

Starting on the 2nd page he literally removed the roof skin. Said it took him about 1 1/2 hours to drill out the spot welds to remove the skin. This will give you 2 options. Either repair the rust above the windshield PROPERLY and the related rust I'm sure you'll find or do as he did and replace his small back window for a large back window.

Read it and you'll see, it's sounds crazy but it don't really look like such a big job if you read thru his whole thread.
66 C10 383 is offline   Reply With Quote