The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

RH inner fender removal/install - can anyone fill in the gaps?

71 C-10 with A/C: Former gaps answered, but turns out there's a new mystery hole, see post 12.

RH Inner Fender
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-18-2016 at 02:19 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: RH inner fender removal/install - can anyone fill in the gaps?

-
The ground strap is for grounding the front sheet metal.

Not sure where you mean on this one. A picture would certainly help.

All but a very few of the front sheet metal screws/bolts are the tapered style. If 90% of the screws/bolts that hold a certain piece on are tapered you can pretty much bet they all should be..... As far as I know none of the original screws/bolts were self tapping (notched thread)

Not sure what you are wanting to know about the other stuff.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-09-2016 at 03:14 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks again for response Doc. I agree, they're likely all supposed to be self-tapping. As for the other info., it gives someone a chance to point out any errors........... Edit: Just thought to look. Happy to say my RH fender is far better than expected. Just surface rust. I was a bit concerned about battery acid/rust factor. Battery box is shot, as well as the vapor can.

Two Images:

The first shows the two mystery holes in the RH inner fender. The 3rd hole in the image is for the core support nearest the radiator.

The second shows the two holes into the "pocket" (for lack of better term) of the fender. The LH hole is where the self-tapping screw was used. The RH is where a tapered screw is supposed to go into a fixed nut..........................................Perhaps they were lazy and I should weld it up? Worst case scenario is I have to re drill. That said as the image demonstrates, I wouldn't say it was off by a little. Then again, these fenders are a lot lighter than expected, so may have some room for flex. A few of the holes in the fender had been opened up a bit as well.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-09-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
hdff

I believe the small hole is for a ground strap to the frame and the hole closest to it is where the radiator overflow tube goes thru

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #5
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
I believe the small hole is for a ground strap to the frame and the hole closest to it is where the radiator overflow tube goes thru
+1, radiator overflow tube.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Thanks again for response Doc. I agree, they're likely all supposed to be self-tapping. As for the other info., it gives someone a chance to point out any errors........... Edit: Just thought to look. Happy to say my RH fender is far better than expected. Just surface rust. I was a bit concerned about battery acid/rust factor. Battery box is shot, as well as the vapor can.

Two Images:

The first shows the two mystery holes in the RH inner fender. The 3rd hole in the image is for the core support nearest the radiator.

The second shows the two holes into the "pocket" (for lack of better term) of the fender. The LH hole is where the self-tapping screw was used. The RH is where a tapered screw is supposed to go into a fixed nut..........................................Perhaps they were lazy and I should weld it up? Worst case scenario is I have to re drill. That said as the image demonstrates, I wouldn't say it was off by a little. Then again, these fenders are a lot lighter than expected, so may have some room for flex. A few of the holes in the fender had been opened up a bit as well.

You mis-read my post. I stated "As far as I know none of the original screws/bolts were self tapping (notched thread)"

I'm wondering if the inner panels are older aftermarket units. That hole is off quite a bit and that would explain the light weight.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post

Makes perfect sense, overflow tube. Thought the hole might be for drainage, but I didn't think about the radiator. As for the ground strap, I can only say the one on mine was located elsewhere on the fender, about 2" rear the lower radiator hose.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-09-2016 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
You mis-read my post. I stated "As far as I know none of the original screws/bolts were self tapping (notched thread)"

I'm wondering if the inner panels are older aftermarket units. That hole is off quite a bit and that would explain the light weight.....

LockDoc
Only one was notched, which was for the hole per the second image. This was done because the hole in the "pocket" didn't line up with the hole in the inner fender, for whatever reason. Your message is all but a very few aren't tapered, or all should be tapered? If some not, do you know what else is used and where?

Not sure on those being aftermarkets. Even if they were replaced, I've owned the truck since 1989. I'd think OEM would still be available prior to that, though you did say "old repro". I suppose a shop could have done me wrong, but nobody other than myself has touched this in 10-15 years.

Primary reason I said it was light is I expected more weight. I've never moved one before. Perhaps an image of the entire fender is in order? I wonder what an OEM RH inner fender weighs? Mine is 9-10 pounds.

Edit: I haven't removed the LH fender yet. Will do so this weekend. For whatever it's worth, it has an emissions sticker. Some bubbling underneath. Probably need to replace, if that's possible

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-09-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

No guesses for the small mystery hole in this image? It's the small dude on the right.........The image is of the front LH side of the RH inner fender.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #10
70STOVEBOLT

That should be the hole where the ground strap connects to the inner fender. i think someone moved it on you. See the pic.
Attached Images

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
hdff

ditto.. with the radiator drain in this pic
Attached Images

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
That should be the hole where the ground strap connects to the inner fender. i think someone moved it on you. See the pic.
Ah those guys! Thanks..................Perhaps the hole that was used for the ground strap is for another purpose? . Seems like a good spot for a retainer, for the hose line between the gas tank and vapor canister. Here's a picture of all three holes, (drain hose, intended ground strap and "real" mystery hole):

There's also a mystery hole in between the two holes for the water valve, nearly parallel with the other holes. Couldn't tell you. I suppose it's possible the fender is repro...Maybe came off something else. Just removed the LH fender, nothing unusual.

I've discovered the most difficult parts of this project are areas not factory when I got to it.

Last edited by kcsa75; 02-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:57 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Let me ask it another way. Does anyone have a 1971 or similar truck in original condition? If so, do you/don't you have that hole I'm pointing to on the RH inner fender, per the photo above? If so, what's it used for? I think it might be for the vapor line to the canister..........Could be an "error" too.

Thank you
Old 02-18-2016, 08:42 AM   #14
70STOVEBOLT

Not a factory hole.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
Davidf

Weld it up and be done with it. If you find out you need it later, drill a new hole.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #16
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks for the responses, and true story David.