The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Grimm76

250- integrated or non-integrated head? Quick opinions needed...

Well, i am about to pull the trigger on a gently used 250 six through a yard in Vancouver- he tells me that it will take a day or so to get there. Should I ask for a non-integrated head or replace what was in there? I believe that the non-integrated head (separate intake from head, right?) needs some kind of plumbing to heat the intake- does that usually come with or would I need to scrounge some more parts? I will be asking the guy at the yard the same questions, just wanted some more experienced opinions.

I have seen/read enough about these motors that I will appreciate the 'old school' factor and once it is clean and painted up, it will be cool.

Opinions are welcome and appreciated
thx
Grimm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Re: 250- integrated or non-integrated head? Quick opinions needed...

To me, it all depends on what you are doing with the motor once you get it.

If you are looking to throw and go, basically just swap accessories, drop in a truck, and drive, then I'd leave it with the integrated head and save pennies to buy a rebuilt non-integrated down the line, and do the full swap at that point.

If you're tearing the motor apart to regasket anyways, or possibly a mild rebuild, then by all means ask for the head.

Benefits to leaving the integrated set up in my opinion: No worry of getting a gently used short block with a crud filled, possibly cracked, or possibly warped head which may not seat well to the block and give headaches down the road. On the re-gasket side, you are not buying a head gasket, an intake gasket, or an exhaust gasket with the integrated head design. You save money.

Cons to the integrated head: well, is the integrated head. Can't use a performance header, cant use a performance intake, and you lost the ability to, for now, get the cool factor those things can provide with the opportunity for higher performance in the future held up until you do a head swap.

Part of it comes down to how quickly you want the truck to be a dependable daily driver again, and how much time you want to spend (and money) before getting it to that point. If it was me, I'd run the complete long block as it came for a bit and plan a weekend project in the spring to change the top end over once you accumulate performance accessories....
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
rollin thunder

i agree. i ran the 250 with integrated head for 100k no problems but once i hit 160k it cracked the head but with my case the engine had a knock from previous owner not taking care of it which broke (whatever was making the noise) and superheated the engine going down the highway.. and i am goin back with integrated head 250 good strong motors and great for everyday use just make sure you can get the correct exhaust manifold aftermarket wont work most cases cuz the emissions hles are pointed down and not out the side like non integrated heads you can check my build and find the pic of the six with no head to see the manifold and how its poined upward to meet the emission holes.. just performance wise or serious hauling... go non-integrated. for sure
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd

Last edited by rollin thunder; 02-01-2013 at 01:29 AM.
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
rollin thunder

here i`ll save the trouble, This is out of an 84 c10 btw
Attached Images

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Grimm76

Thanks for the input. Integrated for now, bolt it all together and get rolling asap. Still want to do a bit of detailing, though.
Grimm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
cattlecrossing

How's she running now, Grimm? I was curious how things turned out.

The reason I ask is that someone got me an integrated head and I'm thinking of installing it. I've just had it with vacuum leaks, and my Monojet is shot, so I'm gonna look for a 2bbl. However, I hear negative things about the integrated manifolds. In this thread, people mentioned that they can't be modified with aftermarket stuff, and cracking has been an issue. Am I missing anything?
cattlecrossing is offline   Reply With Quote