The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Yammerhammer

New here with a farm find

First time poster, wanted to show of my farm find. I got it from the farmer who bought it brand new in 1983. I dont have a dime in it, Someone gave me a laptop, I traded that for a vintage snomobile, which I traded for a vintage boat, which, I traded for this.... It has not ran for ten years. We put fresh fuel in it, hooked a tractor to the front and popped the clutch, after 10 feet or so, she was runnin like a top. Sat idle for about 10 min then shut it down. after the hand shake and trade, I jumped in, he pulled another 10' and she took to life again. I then started the 30 mile trek home with the wife following me in the ol Super Dodge cummins. After a bit down the road, she quit just as if I turned the key off. I went ahead, hook up the chain and drug it the rest of the way home. Got home, put fresh batteries in it just to find the starter didnt want to function. I removed the starter and bench tested to find it engaging but not spinning. Guess Im on the prowl for a used starter now....

1982 C30 3+3 4x4 Dually Silverado
6.2L Diesel
4spd
She is a little rough but a good canidate to make a decent pick up. My plans, as of now are to keep the 6.2 which ran really good until the starter went out yesterday. I was hoping to add a 2-1/2 body lift and put a stock bed back on it in addition to all the long list of parts it will need....
Attached Images

Yammerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
AllenMC10

Re: New here with a farm find

hey man, just wishin ya good luck, and keep er goin!
AllenMC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
chevysmithz71

I vote a big Fat NO on the body lift. Fresh set of springs will give you that. good luck
chevysmithz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
AllenMC10

I agree with chevysmithz71, if you go with with the body lift, you will be able to see too much of the chassis, and youll have to raise the bumper, etc. and plus a true lift will give you much more ground clearance.. But its up to you man! Git r don!!
Posted via Mobile Device
AllenMC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Yammerhammer

I agree... new springs. I have a bigger problem now, I noticed she was a little low on oil so, trying to add it while it was running was not a good idea. She began to spit the oil right back in my face, then a little blue smoke, then.... RUNAWAY!!!! Damn thing shut itself down before it tossed a rod. Looks like I might be doing a barnyard rebuild. I wouldnt mind changing over to a 454 but my boys and I are kida of partial to diesels... maybe a 4V53T? LOL
Yammerhammer is offline   Reply With Quote