The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Managed to control myself....

I'm putting the truck back together now and really want to get that done soon. However, I keep finding things I missed but could have done if I had tried a bit harder. One thing is sandblasting and repainting the bumper brackets.

I don't have a sand blaster or cabinet and no room to store one so I'd have to farm that out (no desire to run electrolysis this summer). I've decided to wire brush and paint the ends and then do those brackets when I have room for a blasting cabinet.

When reassembling, do you keep slowing yourself down like I was tempted to?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
toolboxchev

Re: Managed to control myself....

Yes that happens, I need a tool to fix my tools. Been there done that. Now I just work at the little things making progress. As the old adage goes Progress Not Perfection.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
When reassembling, do you keep slowing yourself down like I was tempted to?
My entire truck was like this. Get something put on, decided I wanted something better or different and just kept upgrading/changing it until I finally got it drive able.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
weim55

25 years ago I assembled my 65 SWB from a bare frame to a painted, running and driving truck in one month. Because of life, space and time constraints it just had to get done NOW! I did nothing more then was absolutely necessary to do a quick quality build. I detailed nothing unless it truly needed it. The paint job is just a quickie, a little rough here n there but presentable and durable. I cringed through many parts of the process as it just wasn't the quality of work I wanted to be doing. 25 years later this truck represents my absolute favorite build that I've ever done. I can use it as a truck, tow my car trailer, Drive the dirt roads by my house, little dings and scratches....... You get the idea. It's still completely presentable all these years later and gets thumbs up everywhere. Never been to a show with it and never will be. It's a fair weather driver that I take good care of and enjoy using more than any of my other old cars. The full resto that sits next to it in the garage took years to complete and just sits there because every driving experience is just a pain in the butt to execute and worry about. I guess it all depends on what turns your crank in the end, but I learned the bottom line for me is to drive and enjoy.
So yeah, I too have been in the same places you speak of that want your extra effort, that bumper will still look just fine with some dirty old brackets behind it. And you'll never have to worry about them getting dirt and road crud all over them.........

Steve weim55 Colorado

Last edited by weim55; 07-26-2017 at 03:45 PM.
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim55 View Post
25 years ago I assembled my 65 SWB from a bare frame to a painted, running and driving truck in one month. Because of life, space and time constraints it just had to get done NOW! I did nothing more then was absolutely necessary to do a quick quality build. I detailed nothing unless it truly needed it. The paint job is just a quickie, a little rough here n there but presentable and durable. I cringed through many parts of the process as it just wasn't the quality of work I wanted to be doing. 25 years later this truck represents my absolute favorite build that I've ever done. I can use it as a truck, tow my car trailer, Drive the dirt roads by my house, little dings and scratches....... You get the idea. It's still completely presentable all these years later and gets thumbs up everywhere. Never been to a show with it and never will be. It's a fair weather driver that I take good care of and enjoy using more than any of my other old cars. The full resto that sits next to it in the garage took years to complete and just sits there because every driving experience is just a pain in the butt to execute and worry about. I guess it all depends on what turns your crank in the end, but I learned the bottom line for me is to drive and enjoy.
So yeah, I too have been in the same places you speak of that want your extra effort, that bumper will still look just fine with some dirty old brackets behind it. And you'll never have to worry about them getting dirt and road crud all over them.........

Steve weim55 Colorado

That describes me to a "T". Not to mention you saved me a lot of typing... Thanks...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Leonard1

Evidently I have no control, mine's been apart for over a decade...
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I use a cup brush on my grinder when I don't sandblast. Works great. This truck is something special you'll still want to tinker with once you are driving it. You can refine as you go. The way to build a hot rod is built it to run and drive till you shake out all the issues blow back apart, and paint.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Maximus

my K5 has brand new rear upholstry and refreshed brackets, my front seats are brand new, the rubber floor mat is new and the dang front seat brackets are dingy and original. it annoys me that I didnt take the 2 or 3 hours to sand em down and paint em, but I would rather spend those 2 or 3 hours driving in the K5 with my family at this point.... in 10 years when I have had enough, I will pull the seats and paint the brackets. no biggie...

Get that truck on the road and enjoy it!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote