The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
gmclonghorn

72 blazer

I have looked all over for carpet strips for my blazer rebuild, and all I can find are rusted or sub par strips. where can I find these strips? how come none of the restoration catalogs have these replacements. I can't be the only one looking for replacements?
gmclonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
1972_K5

Re: 72 blazer

A quick search yielded this.....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485293
Hope it helps
Old 11-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
gmclonghorn

Thanks. That gives me an alternative. but I prefer an original set.
gmclonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
viking427

Not sure why the parts houses haven't begun repopping the carpet retaining strips long ago. Maybe the convoluted shape makes them not cost effective to manufacture ? I believe the the 69/70 used a simple (roughly) 75 degree angle piece made out of stainless for the front retainer and the more detailed doubled-back piece made of thin flash-chromed steel for the rear retainer, whereas the 71/72 used the same doubled-back chrome piece for both front and rear. In any case, you'll be hard pressed to find any doubled-back pieces in decent shape, since they're all rusted and gouged from being screwed down to (perpetually) wet carpet and getting banged up by cargo/tools dragging over them for decades.
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
BBrendal
Recalculating.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
Not sure why the parts houses haven't begun repopping the carpet retaining strips long ago. Maybe the convoluted shape makes them not cost effective to manufacture ? I believe the the 69/70 used a simple (roughly) 75 degree angle piece made out of stainless for the front retainer and the more detailed doubled-back piece made of thin flash-chromed steel for the rear retainer, whereas the 71/72 used the same doubled-back chrome piece for both front and rear. In any case, you'll be hard pressed to find any doubled-back pieces in decent shape, since they're all rusted and gouged from being screwed down to (perpetually) wet carpet and getting banged up by cargo/tools dragging over them for decades.
My first 72 had the detailed double hump and the 72 I have now has the 75 degree flat strip. Both had original carpet and unmolesed interior. Must be one of those mysteries will will never know the reason behind. Like why some trucks have single wall tops and some have double. Lots of theories but no solid answer.

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/

Last edited by BBrendal; 11-22-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: correction
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclonghorn View Post
Thanks. That gives me an alternative. but I prefer an original set.
Keep an eye out on the ads on the board...they pop up once in a while but you have to be quick. You could also subscribe to the board and then post a WTB (Want To Buy) ad. The only problem will be that you will pay a pretty penny for them if they are nice, or you'll have to try and restore them if not.

I don't have hold downs, but will be doing the posted link trim instead since it's cheap and easy. The one thing I wish they did repop was the rubber mat to make the floor level in the back...that would be nice...
Old 11-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrendal View Post
My first 72 had the detailed double hump and the 72 I have now has the 75 degree flat strip. Both had original carpet and unmolesed interior. Must be one of those mysteries will will never know the reason behind. Like why some trucks have single wall tops and some have double. Lots of theories but no solid answer.
Mine also being a 72 with original interior also has the double hump strip in the back with a smooth strip in the front.
Actually, I've never seen an original unmolested one that had a double hump in the front. I would think that would look kind of strange as if it's not a finished look, and a possible hazzard for those climbing in and out of the back....
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote