The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
wyattglock

1989 R3500 brake lines

Are the brake lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve the same on all the 81-87 trucks?
Posted via Mobile Device
wyattglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
dropd80s

Re: 1989 R3500 brake lines

The only trucks that I know would be different would be the newer trucks with the RWAL system. Im not sure when that started, maybe 88? I can't say if all the others are the same or not.

Dropped and LS Swapped SWB 87 Build Thread
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #3
wyattglock

Thanks! I kind of thought that, but before I order new lines I wanted to be sure that I was getting the right thing.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
wyattglock

Thought I would give an update on this topic. I ordered pre-formed lines from Classic Industries on Thursday June 30. The total with 2 day air was $109.44, not to bad. So I get an email on Saturday July 2 stating that the shipping charges were a little different and I needed to call them. A little different is an understatement! The new shipping charges went to $57.54, almost exactly double what they quoted originally. Not sure what the four front brake lines weigh in ounces, but I am sure they aren't that heavy. I will see how the lines look before making a final decision on future business with them, but I will also say that the customer service rep I talked to was extremely helpful and apologetic for the incorrect quote.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattglock View Post
Thought I would give an update on this topic. I ordered pre-formed lines from Classic Industries on Thursday June 30. The total with 2 day air was $109.44, not to bad. So I get an email on Saturday July 2 stating that the shipping charges were a little different and I needed to call them. A little different is an understatement! The new shipping charges went to $57.54, almost exactly double what they quoted originally. Not sure what the four front brake lines weigh in ounces, but I am sure they aren't that heavy. I will see how the lines look before making a final decision on future business with them, but I will also say that the customer service rep I talked to was extremely helpful and apologetic for the incorrect quote.
Weight isn't the main reason for the shipping expense on pre-formed brake lines; the 'over-sized' packaging they come in is.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
wyattglock

I am hoping that is the reason for the charges. My whole complaint about it is that I am sure this isnt the first set of pre-formed brake lines they have shipped. So I would assume that they would have a more accurate picture of what the shipping charges should be. But if the product is good, it could outweigh the negatives.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
wyattglock

Update: I got the lines today. They look pretty good and they fit pretty well during my little mock up that I did. I have started rebuilding the brakes, got the driver's side done. Fixing the crossmember I screwed up before I run the lines. Had to stop working on the passenger side due to rain, but I should be able to get that finished up tomorrow night.
As far as dealing with Classic Industries again, I would have to think real hard before doing that. I guess everyone deserves a second chance, so maybe the next go around will be a little smoother.