The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

HEI Help!

Hi guys, helping a friend get together his 383 stroker for his '80 TTA upgrade (pulled the weak, pathetic, tired 301 that was NA even though its a turbo motor and the TH400 that went with it, dropping in a 383 stroker, eventually going to be blown, with a M21 4-speed and some real sticky tires on the posi rear)

Anyways, went to a junkyard the other day and he got a HEI distro from a late 70's GM truck with a 350 SBC. I can make out the standard wires that are the same as mine - the 3 that come from the position sensor and go to the coil, tach, positive from ignition, however, there is also another plug with 4 wires that went back thru the firewall. So he pulled that out too and it was hacked off so he couldn't find out where they went. We haven't tried testing it yet but at the same time don't want to burn it out. It came from a truck with a 4-bbl, so it wasn't an EFI truck. Where do these wires attach to, and will we be safe simply hooking up the positive and tachometer wires and leaving the rest alone?
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
hanssolo

How many pins are on the module? You need a 4-pin module if you're not using a computer. I tried and could'nt get a 5 or 7 pin module to work on my truck even when I tried grounding appropriate pins.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
tomsC10R

botboy,

Does the plug look like it would go into the plug below? If so, I bet someone swapped in a computer controlled HEI. Is there a vacuum advance canister? Does it turn freely, in good shaped? I've got a vacuum advance HEI I'd trade you

Oh yeah, this is a plug from my Holley MPI.

1968 C10 LWB. 402 BB, Holley MPI, 700R4. 4wheel Hydroboost Disk Brakes.
tomsC10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:51 PM   #4
botboy
Account Suspended

Yes the HEI we got does have a plug that would go into that. It also has a vacuum canister and does turn freely - truck it got ripped out of had been hit or something. Anybody know how to hook one of these babies up?
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 01:34 AM   #5
tomsC10R

Ummm...
The only distributors I'm aware of that have a plug to go onto the one in my picture are electronically controlled distributors out of mid 80 Camaros etc that are totally controlled by the computer. These don't have a vacuum canister. So now I'm confused, I'm not sure what you have there. I've never seen one with that plug and a vacuum canister, but I'm by far no expert... I need one without the vacuum canister -- looks like I'll be going to napa after all
Good luck!!!

1968 C10 LWB. 402 BB, Holley MPI, 700R4. 4wheel Hydroboost Disk Brakes.
tomsC10R is offline   Reply With Quote