The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
Southern Rebel
70' blazer

Unhappy Rehashn an old problem (shifter conversion)

Previous owners put a 2 wheel-drive conversion from tree to the floor shift installation kit (3-speed) into a 4 wheel drive blazer, bracket busted as soon as I got it home. Through a board member and summit racing, I ordered the mastershift shifter and installation kit which is the correct application for doing this. I rec'd the shifter, but the installation kit never came, 1.5 months later now. I contacted summit, who in turn contacted Hurst. Hurst is discontinuing making the application kit. Now I have a shifter and no way to attach it. I can return it, but they suggested I try to find one from a company who might still have one on the shelf? Any help or any other shifter options would be tremendously appreciated. I have only got to drive her one time since I bought her, and that was on the way home. Helpppp
Southern Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:14 AM   #2
jhow66

Can you get a picture of what you need? ( the bracket that broke)
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Southern Rebel
70' blazer

no camera

The bracket that originally broke was about 7 - 10 inces long, flat, except at the end where it made a right turn about an inch where it bolted to the left side of the tranny. The shifters box bolted up to it. It broke right where the bolt goes thru into the tranny. I have gotten another one. But, like the original had to cut off the back 2 inches because it is for a 2 wheeldrive and mine is 4 wheeldrive (it was too long) and had to drill other holes for linkage box to bolt to. Another problem with it is where the stick itself bolts to the stick coming out of the linkage is straight, putting it far to left of the tranny, almost at the corner of my seat. I just don't want to drive it without the highhump tranny cover off.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
michigank5

Sorry to hear that Southern, I'll try to get a picture of my Mastershift mounting bracket tonight and maybe something could be made to fit it. Hurst also makes the Indy 3-speed truck shifter: http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/hurst2001indy.pdf . I think Summit has it for around $120 for the whole kit including mounting brackets. You can usually find one on Ebay for around $70 or so. Not as good as the Mastershift, but I know it will work,
Jed

Last edited by michigank5; 06-21-2004 at 12:40 PM.
michigank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
gabet40

is there a way that you could take your broken bracket down to the local fabricator and have him make up a strong one for you, using the broken one as a guide?

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:21 AM   #6
Southern Rebel
70' blazer

shifter being fixed

I just had it towed to a shop, hopefully they will be able to fix something up. I'll still be able to use my mastershifter. I just don't have they tools to fabricate it myself. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:42 AM   #7
michigank5

Glad you're able to get it fixed, for reference, here are pictures of the mastershift brackets installed.
Attached Images

michigank5 is offline   Reply With Quote