The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
'70_402

I put an alternative fuel in my truck...oops..

I ran out of gas saturday. i was at my buddies shop. he said i got some gas, so he went to get it. i just put a little in there (no even a gallon) and tryed to start it up. (I think the can had been used for both diesel and kerosene and might have still had resedue from both) it took a bit and backfired though the carb and shot ton of white smoke out of the carb.. and so i tryed again and got her running and it started smoking like a son of a gun out of the exaust. (it looked like i was smoking the tires) so i shut it off. we got a new gas can filled it up to delute whatever was in that can and she evened out and started to idle again. (still smoking a little) so i went and filled the rest of the way up with gas (15 gallons) and she is still running fine but the thing that scares me is that when i start it up it still smokes a little till it warms up some.. So, (whew) i guess my question is.. does diesel burn white when in a gas motor? what other kindof fuel could it have been? i am really stumped by this one.. we poured the first can out later and it was yellow and had a hint of diesel but mostly smelled like gas.

do i need to drain the tank and purge the system or just run this tank through with some b-12 or additive in it?

anyone ever done this?

Thanks

Rick
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:32 PM   #2
incoma

I got diesel in my truck once, and it was the entire tank. I just drained most of it out, and then filled it with gas. It took about 2 tanks to run through, but it cleaned itself out. No need for additives. You'll just be burning a bit of oil for a little while. You may want to change your plugs a bit sooner than you would otherwise.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
'70_402

Why Would I Be Burning Oil? Does Diesel Have Oil In It? (higher percentage than gas)

Last edited by '70_402; 05-03-2005 at 08:49 PM.
'70_402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
724wdcopper
graphic designer

diesel IS oil. it shouldn't do anything harmful to your engine, but as noted, you may check your plugs after a few tanks for fouling. shouldnt be any, but it's cheap insurance.
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

In years gone by some would add a quart of diesel to their tank of fresh gas. Helped lube the valves, some even claimed it kept the carbon buildup down.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote