The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Jimbotronics
YA YA

Cab replacement progress

Is it weird to say that I've enjoyed the hell outta tearing my truck completely apart? I've come to understand things that only heard you guys talk about previously. It all started with "JUST" changing out the PS inner fender and the rad support. After getting the PS fender off I realized that it was 65% bondo so I ordered a new fender. Then I got to looking at the cab over and it's got serious issues - floors - gone, rockers - gone, cab corners - gone, cab supports - shot, and door post pillars - argh gone! So I bought all the replacement parts and started calling body shops, out of about 8 different shops only two came by and gave me an estimate and were really close in price. $60 dollars and hour and both said 30 to 45 hours. What makes it bad is that a good portion is trying to figure out the PO hacked up job. A board member offered me one of his cabs that seems to be in decent shape though still needed to work. Then I came across this deal in the paper and called the guy. He said the cab was completely redone ready to go for $500, plus he threw in a 5 gauge cluster, a good windhield (mine's cracked) two doors - one finished the other needs a bottom panel welded in. Oh ya, I figured since I've came this far I might as well go all the way down to the frame and have it sanded and coated.

Sorry about the long story, just haven't been on much and thought I'd catch everyone up...lol If anyone recognized this cab and knows anything about it (good or bad) please let me know.

Cheers,
Jim

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
matthufham

you're just happy because you got a great deal. if you would have been fixing the cab yourself, it wouldn't be as fun. that's a factory AC cab so it's a 71-72 chevy, or some other year gmc, i'm not familiar with them. good luck with that.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:46 PM   #3
Jimbotronics
YA YA

lol - well I do hafta motor eight hours one way to get it so I just hope it looks as good in person as it does in the photos. Yes the cab is a 72 as is the doors, which is what mine is so I'm extremely happy with that.

'72 SWB - 350 (frame-off resto in progress - donations accepted)

'04 Chevy Avalanche

'03 Cadillac CTS (wife's ride)

Restoration progress - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335707
Jimbotronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:41 PM   #4
joelboxt
71 Cheyenne SWB Fleetside

man, that cab looks mint.

id love to get my hands on a good cab for that kinda money.

Joel