The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2002, 07:51 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Trying to ID this repair panel

I just bought a big load of sheetmetal, and I can't for the life of me figure out just where the piece below is supposed to go. I realize it's the "inner rocker backing plate." I just can figure out its orientation and relation to other parts down there. Anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
chevy2racr
So Many Ideas, So Little Money

I thought it just capped on the back of the rocker to close it in
Bryce
09 Malibu

Marshalltown, Iowa
chevy2racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

Kenneth.....if you also purchased the floor panel repair pieces, that piece is not used. The floor pan panels have the rocker backing plate made on them........hope this makes sense...
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:16 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

That is the inner rocker panel.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks for the comments so far. Maybe if I put this another way... in what manner would I _install_ these pieces? I have a cab, and it has NO rocker panels on it at present. I have new rockers. They are in one hand, and the piece above is in the other. What do I do? Do they touch one another in some way? Are they welded together and then the resulting piece grafted onto the truck?

When I took the old rockers off...

... did I also take this inner rocker piece off and not know it? Or is it still on the truck?

(BTW, the new rockers pictured above are NOT welded on yet)

Helllllllp!

Thanks,

Kenneth
Old 07-16-2002, 09:57 PM   #6
ebfabman

heres where it goes
Attached Images

ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:17 PM   #7
ebfabman

The outer rocker goes over the inner ( sounds simple but can be confusing)
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2002, 11:31 PM   #8
Shane
Account Suspended

the red outlined section is the spot where the replacement rocker in your first pic goes.
Attached Images

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 07:10 AM   #9
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks again all! I think you've got me pointed in the right direction now.

Kenneth
Old 07-17-2002, 07:39 PM   #10
XXL
Seņor Member

OK gang...

I took Shane's marked up photo of my rocker area and added some quick scribblies. The yellow represents a cross sectional view of the floor pan as it transitions down to the metal under my original rockers-- basically the rusty steel in in the pic. The green represents a cross sectional view of the piece I am trying to figure out how to install. I'm ripping hair out of my head faster than it can turn gray Where, oh where does this piece fit? The holes near the ends are also puzzling. They don't appear to have anything to do with anything. I can say the same for the whole piece, for that matter.

It doesn't appear to align with anything on the back of the rocker, and if it did, it would surely run into the vertical piece of steel still on the cab. If it _is_ that piece, it is the wrong size, shape, length, etc., to work.

I just don't get it... and I'm actually a pretty smart guy (or maybe not!).

Kenneth
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2002, 08:03 PM   #11
Southpa

Howdy, I've modified your picture, giving you an idea of how things fit together. Basically, the original rockers were all spot welded to the floor and on flanges on either side. In order to get at the top edge area you have to predrill the top surface of your rocker and weld onto the floor pan thru the holes. Sorta like a spot weld, then grind them smooth.

You are in the exact same place I am, lol. Only thing is, I'm doing it with a stick welder. Gonna be real fun.

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 08:04 PM   #12
ebfabman

Kenneth, you're right, the inner rocker piece isnt a perfect fit. If you look at your floor area you'll see where the floor breaks into the inner rocker, as it gets close to the door jam areas, the break in the replacment inner rocker panel does not "blend out" to a single break like the original floor area does. You may need to trim off the upper "lip" of the replacement panel and trim the lower "step" on your trucks original inner rocker. Then lay the replacement part on the trimmed area to recreate the original "step" in the inner rocker area.
You may also need to fab the Blended areas near the doors jams.

Does this confuse the h@ll of of you? sorry, I can get pics if you still need more help.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:16 PM   #13
XXL
Seņor Member

Thanks all again for the help. I think I'm going to toss the "inner rocker backing plates" in the corner and forget about them. They simply do not fit under any circumstances as they are, and to get them to go where most of you are saying requires me to cut about 1/2" x 24" of sheetmetal off one side, cut close to 2" off either end, and then bang it into place. That doesn't sound like much of a patch panel... at least not any more than a big flat square piece of steel and a few thousand dollars worth of sheetmetal working tools

<---<< has won. I'm just going to put the outer rocker on and remember not to step on them too hard. And you guys remember not to buy a truck from me some time down the road

Kenneth