The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
casterbuster
Mejor Que Nada

I am miffed at the way people are treated these days.

My coworker comes in this morning and asks me today, if I know anyone who sells newer style engines. I ask him why and he tells me this.

His son drives a 2000 model S10, with a 4.3 v6. The engine had an intake manifold leaking a little coolant. So, with the limited time we have my coworker who is an excellant mechanic himself on industrial engines, decides to send it into a shop for repair. Okay, this is where it gets fishy. About, a week goes by and truck is still in shop. So, coworker calls to get update. Owner says intake is warped he will need to replace it, $150 for used or $600 from chevy house. Coworker says go with used.

Another week goes by he calls back up there, Mechanic says they are having a problem with HIGH compression. Coworker says forget it he will come get it. So, he has a wrecker drag it to his house. Don, starts it up and the thing is knocking horribly and fogging for mosquitos so he shuts it back down and pulls heads. The shop let a nut fall down on top of one of the valve in a head and it got into the cylinder and beat the hell out of the heads. Don, took pictures and went back up to the shop and confronted owner, he starts backpedeling as fast a possible. He tells Don that when they got the truck it was hammering and blowing smoke. And, all of the this other guff and it is Don's fault for the condition. Well, after all of that the guy doesn't even offer any kind of refund or anything.

To top it all off the original intake got broke at there shop, you can tell where they hammered a prybar in between it and the block to pry it off and cracked it doing so.

The nut ruined the head, piston and bent the rod in the engine. Don, replaced all three and cranked it back up, but it must have cracked the liner or cylinder because is still knocking like hell and burning lots of antifreeze.

It just sucks that people have to be that way about things.

Last edited by casterbuster; 04-23-2007 at 03:57 PM.
casterbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Re: I am miffed at the way people are treated these days.

It sucks yes, but this is where small claims court come into play. Tell your friend to take his documentation to the judge and file a suit. This is basically a "Peoples Court" type deal. He should be able to represent himself and persuade a judge to find the mechanic guilty.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

If he gets away with it he's free to do it to someone else.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

Don't let your buddy stand for that crap -- Take that shop to court, and make them pay for a brand new crate engine, and your buddy's time to install it, not to mention his wasted time while waiting for the shop.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
grinch4om
dang its hot

as a master ase mechanic I am always so ticked and offended when a shop treats customers like this. The knucklehead doing the work should be schooled. The days of hiring Joe lawnmower mechanic to work on sofisticated new hardware is over. Buyer beware! Check out the shop and the reputation it has. Don't let them walk on you or bull you about your vehicle. Mistakes happen and that's why a good shop has insurance. A good shop also looks at the vehicle with the customer and notes any"did it when it came in" type of things. Greed and lack of training is the killer of a shop.
grinch4om is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
leftcoast66

thats rediculous that they won't stand behind the issues they created and own up to their mistakes.
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

grinch4om is absolutely right, the shop should have documented the fact that it smoked/hammered/knocked (which it didn't because the car didn't).
This is definately a court issue.

We delt with this type of thing at the bodyshop where I used to work. We went so far as to have a check-list that covered the most common things and the boss did a personal "walk-around" with the customer when the vehicle was dropped off.

Rental car places do it every time as do U-haul type stores. It's as much for thier own protection as well as yours.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
shortbed70

I don't own a shop but when I do work for someone I always tell them the ins and outs of how it started and show them as I go and keep the old parts for them to dispose so they can see I'm not doing work unjustified for money. I cant stand people that run good people into thinking all mechanics/bodymen etc, are a holes and such. I would take them to court in a SECOND and get back what is yours...AND THEN SOME. Good luck.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274

Last edited by shortbed70; 04-23-2007 at 07:47 PM.
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
PhilaTruck
Right on the line, baby!

Don't forget to report this to the local BBB. Won't make a difference in your case, but maybe the next one.

Click and scroll down for site vendors!

Subscribe here!
PhilaTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
biglou55

I agree take them to court and maybe they will think twice on the next guy. I have seen A.S.E. and other long time mechanics that I wouldnt let through my shop door. When I work on a piece of equipment I talk with the owner and write down everything he says. If I find something else I call them and explain what is going on and let them make the decision or come and look. And yes I am a CERTIFIED Joe lawnmower mechanic. EPA. and C.A.R.B. certified.

Last edited by biglou55; 04-24-2007 at 12:35 PM.
biglou55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
Pyrotechnic

I agree, small claims court and BBB.

Find out quotes at a REPUTABLE shop for how much a 4.3 crate engine will cost as well as how much labor will be to install it so you can get your refund PLUS enough money to return the truck to it's original state before this mess happened. I have a good feeling that if you build a solid case and argument, you have a very good chance of winning.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #12
grinch4om
dang its hot

biglou55, did not mean to offend you. the point was the guy without training in these new computer systems and automobiles should not work on them any more than the car mechanic should give manicures.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
grinch4om
dang its hot

oh and by the way, I've met those mechanics you speak of, makes Me look bad. That's why I preach to my customers ,find one you trust and go there. Hopefully it's me. I also don't have a problem refering my customers to a better wrench or one that specializes
Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #14
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

It's hard to find good work nowdays.
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #15
biglou55

No offense taken. I dont work on computerized cars . If somebody asked me to I tell them to take it too a garage and have it plugged in first.