The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #1
Doghouse

Rear axle u-bolts

I'm removing the rear lift blocks from my 71' Jimmy. Looking at some of the pictures on the board, I've noticed the u-bolts mounted nuts down and some are mounted nuts up? Also the u-bolts are mounted front to back on the front axle, beside the leaf springs, and side to side on the back axle, stradlling the leaf springs? Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks, Bob.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Rear axle u-bolts

Yeah, I just replaced mine. The front axle has completely different mounting. The rears are supposed to be nuts down, through a backing plate. GM changed this in 73 I think. Depending on the style of backing plates used on yours, is how you would mount it. If the lift used the newer style backing plate, then you can use them with the correct bolts. The originals were square bent, newer are U bent. Just bring the current bolts to the parts store so they can measure them for what you need. BTW, I went to NAPA and they wanted $15 for each U bolt. I later went to an Auto Value store and got a complete set for $20.

Hope this helps.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #3
florida4x4

If you're going to do ANY offroad then you want the U bolts with the plate above the springs. Imagine dragging the threads over obsticles on the square bolt / thread down design. R.I.P.
florida4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida4x4 View Post
If you're going to do ANY offroad then you want the U bolts with the plate above the springs. Imagine dragging the threads over obsticles on the square bolt / thread down design. R.I.P.
Good point. I will probably be switching mine once I actually start using it. I needed bolts at the time because they were cut and I needed to move it out of the junkyard. I'll probably do a lift of some sort and switch them then.

If he wants it back to original though, I wanted him to know which way was correct.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Doghouse

Thanks guys. Went to the local tire/spring shop yesterday afternoon with the backing plate and lifted u-bolt. He confirmed what you said. The plate sits on top (nuts up). The u-bolt was a square type, mounted nuts up, so the PO had them mounted upside down. The spring guy set me up with some shorter rouned ones. Thanks again, Bob.
Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote