The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Does anyone know anything about Sound Systems????

I am looking at 2 10" Subwoofers...How much of an amp would it take to run these??? (watts, Brand etc.

If you have any reccomendations on the brand that would be of great help too.

Thanks
Jason
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 03:03 PM   #2
meathead95
computer illiterate

it has been so long since i have messed with them but i have had some awesome setups back then JL Audio was the sub of choice if they still make them thats what i would buy again. as far as wattage check and see what the subs you buy are rated for and when you pick an amp see what the rms wattage is that is its true power it may say 300 watts but the rms may only be 50x2 and thats what you are actually getting.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #3
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Meathead is right, JL's are excellent subs. You can't go wrong with them, Polk, or Boston. They're my favorites. I like the Polk and Bostons for speakers too-- which line depends on your budget. Head units -- I like Alpine and Eclipse. Amps -- this one is key. First off, get a quality brand. Here's the ones I would and have bought. McIntosh, a/d/s , PPI, Alpine, Xtant, Fosgate. I looove my current a/d/s the p640.2. They have great amps for one amp systems - compact, clean, powerful, accurate, the whole bit. Mc's are top notch and top dollar but you should never have to buy another amp. Similar with a/d/s. For the money, I like Alpines for mids/highs and Fosgates for subs. Phoenix GOld amps are good, especially for subs. PPI is made by the same folks as a/d/s just a notch down the price pole. Excellent amps for all speakers. Xtant, also top notch for any application. I like EQs by Alpine, Kenwood, and Audiocontrol (if you're going all out).

Match your amp's RMS output to RMS output of your speakers/subs. Using the above brands assures that rated power = real power. NOT true with all brands. Clean power is more important than max rated watts -- marketing hype. Figure out how much volume you need (preferences, loudness of truck, tightnes of cab, etc.) and choose power accordingly. Few folks need more than 100 watts per front speaker (get components for the front). Wattage for subs depends on selection of sub and enclosure. Sealed boxes tend to be more accurate and "tight" but require more power. Vented and esp. bandpass are more efficient and louder but more narrow in their abilities. A quality enclosure makes a HUGE difference as does sound deadening in the cabin.

Bottom line -- figure out your budget and priorities (loud, clear and accurate, balanced, bass, bare bones) and how much crap you're willing to do yourself and willing to put up with. If you go ebay and do lots yourself, you should be ablt to assemble a wonderful system for $1000 - $1500, possibly quite a bit less.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:23 PM   #4
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

By the way, with a quality sub, box, and amp -- one sub is all you need. I like a single 12 setup. I had one 10 in my truck a one point and it was great. I have one 12 in my Rodeo now and loove it.

Also, lots of this is preference. Listen to lots of sound setups and components and see what you like. Also try to remember that things will sound different in your vehicle than in someone else's or a sound room but it will give you an idea of the "personality" of a speaker or component.

Will you be listening more with windows up or down? Our cabs have less airspace to fill but more holes to leak from and more things tend to vibrate in 30 year old vehicles. Spend money on dynamat or something similar, you'll be glad you did for lots of reasons.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:40 PM   #5
meathead95
computer illiterate

I think boston acoustic make wonderful midrange and high speakers as well
Old 10-09-2002, 06:25 PM   #6
Alexis
Member since 2000

Quote:
Originally posted by meathead95
I think boston acoustic make wonderful midrange and high speakers as well
ditto but i would look into Focal,
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:13 PM   #7
BrianStep72

I just finished installing a new system in my truck. Here's the details.

Jensen 6 CD changer in the glovebox, changer control in the ashtry (it fits perfectly)
2 Kenwood 4" speakers installed in center dash stock location(invisible).
2 Sony Xypiod 6x9 200Watt speakers in 4" boxes installed UNDER the seat facing forward (one on each side).
I was able to use a Kenwood head unit which required NO CUTTING to my truck at all.

I'm delighted how good it sounds & how little work it was to put it. Of course, my setup cost around $500 --much less that you are proposing, but it works for me. If I ever want to pump it up, i'll put an amp under the seat.

The key was the 2 pole kenwood head unit KRC-1007. I am having to use FM for the CDs, BUT any other direct connect system would require dash cutting. I used the 'power on' wire from the headunit, so when I turn on my unit the whole system comes online.
I'm pretty happy about this setup.

Brian
1972 Chevy C10 Stepside Pickup
1987 Chevy IROC Z28 Camaro 1LE+TPI - racecar
2004 Chevy Tahoe
2013 Chevy Silverado Tow Rig
--------------------------------------
http://www.bowtieracing.org
BrianStep72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:11 AM   #8
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

Hey, it all depends on what subs you got IMO. You should get some good help over at Bunkley's on the south side of town, but they are a little high on prices. I bought most of my stuff at Audio Magic on N. 1st, but there are a couple of know it all d!cks there, just watch their sales, I had got some really good deals, but that was about 3 yrs ago when I was in college.

and I second the insulation, dynomat is good stuff.
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:17 AM   #9
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

How would/could you fit a 12 or 10 in the truck, I could not figure out a way...

My Current plans include getting the 6x9s under the seats and the replacments in the stock location under the dash... But I cant figure out how to fit the sub in it... will it fit behind the seat if I get rid of the tank?
Old 10-10-2002, 03:52 AM   #10
Mudder

Hmmmm

I was the first one around here that had a cassette car stereo. Craig FM under dash/ a 35 watt amp and two craig 6x9's with 90 oz magnets. Kicked ass in its day. LOL.....Got 2 10 in Kickers and 2 six inch horns behind the seats now with a 6x9 in each door. Ya it kicks pretty decent for an old man.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:36 AM   #11
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

YOu can make a custom box for under the seat that will hold one 10 or 12 if you have the factory seat. This box should fill both sides for enough airspace. There's a guy on the board who has drawings for one, might try a search. You can remove the tank and go single or dual subs pretty easily. I have 6x9s in my door also and plan on adding a set of 6.5" components with kickpanels from gmcpauls though I'll probably put the tweeter higher in the door. Depends on how original you want to keep your cab. Cutting bothers me not, I want functionality far more than original appearance. Definitely use an additional amp or you'll likely blow your speakers in short order (at least if you like it loud on the road like me). I currently have just the Boston 6x9s and a 40x40 Alpine amp and it's sounds quite acceptable for a setup with no subs. Don't skimp on the gear, get the name brands I mentioned and you can't go wrong. If you do ebay, you can get premium stuff at mid-level prices. You won't be sorry. Also, get good quality wiring like monster or fosgate.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:22 AM   #12
Tracy Focht

If you don't mind using Kicker, shoot me an email since that's where I work.

I'll see if I can't help or shed some light for you.

tfocht@kicker.com
Tracy Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:42 AM   #13
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Ahh, thanks Tracy. Didn't mean to leave you out. Kicker is a great brand, especially if you want dBs! I hear those square jobbies really move some air.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:56 AM   #14
Tracy Focht

Quote:
Originally posted by jmil1974
Ahh, thanks Tracy. Didn't mean to leave you out. Kicker is a great brand, especially if you want dBs! I hear those square jobbies really move some air.
no problem...that's why I just threw that in, didn't want to step on anyone toes either. Great advice being given.

Yea, the L7's seem to be doing pretty good with the numbers...
Old 10-10-2002, 12:16 PM   #15
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

I was posting because I'm VERY interested in getting some speakers into my truck, but I have the GasTank behind the seat, and I have a Truck Box with A Sub in it, but I don't think it'll fit under the seat. I was just looking for my options so I can make a good decision when I have the money to do so...

BTW, I hear those square Kickers are great speakers
Old 10-10-2002, 12:21 PM   #16
brennecke

Don't forget that subs are not fullrange speakers. They'll sound much cleaner if you get a crossover and cut out the highs trying to go to your subs.
I used to have a sub amp bridged mono (2 ohms) at 90W RMS feeding two ten inch Cerwin Vegas in a sealed box. It sounded great, and was plenty lound for such a small enclosure.
Never tire of doing what is right II Thess. 3:13
Northeast Missouri
71 LWB original 350 3/speed
Soon to be 500
brennecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 12:21 PM   #17
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

If I were you, Nark, I'd buy a used blazer/burb tank and go that route. That's what I'll be doing when the time comes.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:25 PM   #18
Narkoleptik
69 GMC LWB FLEET

Well, I was thinking...

My Truck Basically has 3 Tanks on it now...

I have the original gehind the seat and I believe it was sold with the two extra tanks on the sides of the truck... I Have the three way switch in the cab and all, just don't know if the extra two tanks are clean and able to carry and feed gas to the truck... Any info on cleaning them out and getting them up and running?
Old 10-10-2002, 01:28 PM   #19
Tracy Focht

Quote:
Originally posted by Narkoleptik
I was posting because I'm VERY interested in getting some speakers into my truck, but I have the GasTank behind the seat, and I have a Truck Box with A Sub in it, but I don't think it'll fit under the seat. I was just looking for my options so I can make a good decision when I have the money to do so...

BTW, I hear those square Kickers are great speakers
Yea, the L7's or square as some call them do very well.
We also make a 8" subwoofer that will play plenty low, and only requires a .33 sealed box per driver. Those would fit under the seat......it's the solobaric D series.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:30 PM   #20
wnc mountain
More hobbies than money!

IMO, it makes a diference what type of music you will be listening to also. I used to install systems when I was in college and made some killer systems. I have a single 10 in my burb run off a small amp bridged, and a fourway amp running the rest(both alpine) and it sounds great to me. I am not interested in shaking the ground though, just clairity.

It is best in my opinion also to go with a multi amp system,or a high power head and one amp with an preamp electronic crossover to make the most of the power that can be made. Well worth the extra money.
'72 Blazer project
wnc mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:10 PM   #21
oldyeller
Captain CAAAVVVMMMAAANNN!

man, you guys got me itchin for a system again! I have tried to stay away for the past 2 years, ever since I sold my rice grinder from college, but damn, I miss the sound of good tunes on a kick ass system.

hmm, now for an excuse for the ol'lady... any ideas??
check out the project old yeller
oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote