The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
jdl71

NOS cab corners

Is there such a thing? I guessing not, since this wasn't part of the assembly process like a rocker. I've read that the repop cab corners all have to be split and put back together as they are made to slip over instead of replace the original, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: NOS cab corners

The rear corners are part of the cab back panel. I have used decent fitting corners, but not sure who made them. There are different companies making them. When a panel is the correct dimensions, same size as what you are replacing, the thing to do is step flange. That makes the better job than cheap slip over patches

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:48 AM   #3
hatzie

I butt weld stuff like this stitched up with MIG and copper body spoons where I can get to the backside. It's a skill. Take a scrap fender and slice it with your plasma cutter or cutoff tool then practice workholding and stitch butt welding the seams back together without warping them.

I only lap weld where the factory seam was a lap weld.

If you're using body panel adhesives then flanged panels may be the way to go. I'd rather butt weld em. Less filler to smooth it off so less chance of coming back to do it again later after it rusts and bubbles off the paint.

Look at the Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein threads.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.

Last edited by hatzie; 07-10-2016 at 01:54 AM.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
jdl71

Butt welding would be my first choice, but I had read somewhere that all the repop cab corners are made to be slip on and so they won't fit without considerable work. Can't remember where I saw that but I thought it was on here somewhere.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 07-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
oldpurple

I can't answer your question but I just recently fixed my cab corners and was pretty disappointed with the fit. I've never purchased patch panels before and didn't realize they were designed to be a slip on....

Splitting them is what I ended up doing.

I have pictures of my work if you're interested. Might give you some insight to what you're in for if you need to split them.
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpurple View Post
I can't answer your question but I just recently fixed my cab corners and was pretty disappointed with the fit. I've never purchased patch panels before and didn't realize they were designed to be a slip on....

Splitting them is what I ended up doing.

I have pictures of my work if you're interested. Might give you some insight to what you're in for if you need to split them.
Yes I would like to see them. Did you do the inners as well? I'm trying to decide whether to try this myself or send it to a body shop. I've done some minimal sheet metal work before, and it turned out ok for a driver, but I want this to be a bit better than that.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 07-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
oldpurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
Yes I would like to see them. Did you do the inners as well? I'm trying to decide whether to try this myself or send it to a body shop. I've done some minimal sheet metal work before, and it turned out ok for a driver, but I want this to be a bit better than that.
Yep I did the inner as well. I think it was a bit of a better fit. It didn't have the 1" drain hole but I added one. Here's some pics.

Inner fit good. It didn't have the hole for the drain but I added one. I didn't feel like drilling all these spotwelds out so I butted it in.
http://i.imgur.com/sYUqz6s.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yZh1eln.jpg

Here you can see how big the patch was...
http://i.imgur.com/UiU64g2.jpg

Here's where I decided to split it. I did it here because it's right over top of the inner seam of the inner cab corner. Also it was the width of a piece of masking tape from the edge...
http://i.imgur.com/M16x9rW.jpg

Tacked in. Took several hours but this thing fit extremely well in the end.
http://i.imgur.com/W3ZK8YX.jpg

Welded up.
http://i.imgur.com/ArBwxJg.jpg

Just before filler went on.
http://i.imgur.com/io159gD.jpg

Here's where I'm at. You can see the filler on the edge that I mention below.
http://i.imgur.com/vrHZgr3.jpg

I also had to trim a good 1/4" off the lip where it spot welds into the door jamb. I also had to remove a lot where it butts against the rocker.

I am a welder but I haven't done a whole lot of body repair but I believe this turned out quite well. Take your time fitting things up and it will go a lot smoother. I used a hand file to really fine tune my seams. I would say the thickest filler is around 1/16", except for on the back corner. The radius is not the same as OEM so I had to blend the patch to the cab with a bit of filler. I tried to get it to match but just didn't have the tools to do so.

I got the panels from RockAuto and they were listed as "Goodmark" which I had read good things about, but upon arrival they were "Keystone".

The drivers cab corner wasn't as bad so I didn't repair the inside. The patch also seemed to be almost the correct width at the seam, but the bottom was huge. I don't have many pics of this but I split the back of it but only half way just to make it curve like it's supposed to. I split the front a bit to get it to line up a bit better but decided to not go the whole way. As a result it isn't quite straight across the front but it's only where it meets the rocker and I will seam seal that anyways.
http://i.imgur.com/VYJ2ars.jpg

I hope all that makes some sense. My cellphone camera is pretty bad but you should get the idea
Old 07-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
jdl71

That helps a ton, thanks. I was also wondering if you can repair the inner without pulling the carpet, trim, and seat out and it appears that you can. Thanks again.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 07-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #9
oldpurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
That helps a ton, thanks. I was also wondering if you can repair the inner without pulling the carpet, trim, and seat out and it appears that you can.
Yep I didn't remove any interior pieces. I didn't pull the tank either because I figured I could get away with leaving it in... then I ended up just removing the tank anyways. Wish I had just removed it from the start.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #10
barry1982

I recently installed new inner/outer cab corners on my 82. You have to be careful because there are a lot of cheap/thin replacement parts out there. I got my corners from a company called "Key Parts". They are located in the US. I don't think you can get stuff right from Key Parts, you have to find a distributor. I was very impressed with the fit, and the parts were as thick, or slightly thicker than OEM. I butt welded mine in with a Lincoln Mig welder.
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote