The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
WCHLVR

Intro: Project Brutus

Been lurking in the shadows for a few weeks gaining knowledge and inspiration for my new toy. My name is Terry and I run a small custom fab shop (Old Skool VulcanWerks) in Central Oregon mainly focusing on MK1 VW's but open to just about anything.

I recently sold the blue Datsun 620 pictured above and turned around and bought "Brutus". He is a 64 1/2 ton LWB Custom. From what I understand, he was last used to haul a camper and gear up to the firelines during forest fire season (I live in Central Oregon). He is rocking some surface rust here and there but no rot. He seems to have been fairly well maintained too. All new brakes. Fairly new all terrain tires. I believe it was a 283/3spd truck but it is now propelled with a 327 and 4spd (granny). He actually runs quite well but I have been having a few reliability issues. Though the HEI was acting up. After replacing all the much needed pieces it still cuts out heavily under a load. I think it is running the carb bowl dry. So either the float is too low or the fuel pump is going out. Could be a clogged filter though the tank had zero crap in it. Yeah... I had to pull the tank because one of the rub pads had slipped and the tank bracket rubbed a hole in the tank. [sigh]

Well... enough with chatting and more with the pics. Here are few from when I got him-

It appears he is a red seat truck. I wish it was in better shape-

Did a little clean up. The bottom the truck is covered in dried mud. Gonna be a while before I can get all that out. Luckily nothing rots here. Ditched the all terrain tires for some used passenger car tires. Installed some 64 Cadillac hub caps (seemed appropriate). There was some serious creative engineering involved to pull that off! LOL

Here is how he sits today. Fresh 235/70R15 tires. 3" Portawalls (got a little tucking I need to address).

WCHLVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Mint68

Re: Intro: Project Brutus

I think the green vw pickup it awesome. I had an mk4 tdi jetta that was victim to some nasty hail damage. I so wanted to dismember it and create a sweet vw pickup with a tdi drivetrain, but lack of skill and money along with no vw pickup prevented me from do it, but maybe someday..
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
scottofksu

So when's the truck getting slammed? I hate to be presumptuous, but you even slammed the wagon!

As an MKV Jetta owner I've really learned to appreciate the VW brand, and especially the earlier models. You do some really nice work! What's the plan for the truck?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
jdoisher

I too have a thing for vws!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
66Submarine

Nice truck! Do you have any pictures from underneath showing how that four speed fits in there with the standard floor hump?
66Submarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
oem4me

Solid truck there. I think I spy a factory red seat. Is it intact under the blanket? If what you do to this truck is equal to your work on the rabbit pickup, this will be fun to watch. Bro got some sheet metal game!
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
donthekawguy

The blue Datsun is awesome! What did you get for it if you don't mind saying? One of those is on my must have list.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
gofastnut

Hey WCHLVR,
Thanks for coming out of the shadows and showing Brutus to us. Looking forward to see what you've got in store.
C-10 Club
My achingly slow build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=508345
gofastnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
WCHLVR

Thanks for all the props folks. Glad to be back into some American Iron. My last chunk of US Steel was a 64 Impala Wagon named Isabel-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint68 View Post
I think the green vw pickup it awesome. I had an mk4 tdi jetta that was victim to some nasty hail damage. I so wanted to dismember it and create a sweet vw pickup with a tdi drivetrain, but lack of skill and money along with no vw pickup prevented me from do it, but maybe someday..
Keep up the hunt my friend. They are out there. The PNW is still littered with rust free pickups. Let me know if you need help finding one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
So when's the truck getting slammed? I hate to be presumptuous, but you even slammed the wagon!

As an MKV Jetta owner I've really learned to appreciate the VW brand, and especially the earlier models. You do some really nice work! What's the plan for the truck?
Well Scott you hit the nail on the head. Yes, the truck will be laying rail as soon as time and $ allows. I am a one man show so as you might imagine both of these are quite the commodity. LOL I do have the bags already but I really need to get under it and pressure wash all the remaining dirt off before I start tackling anything under there. It's pretty nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Submarine View Post
Nice truck! Do you have any pictures from underneath showing how that four speed fits in there with the standard floor hump?
Ironically Sub, today (for the first time) I actually got a chance to stand under the truck while it was on the rack getting new dual side exit exhaust installed. I did take a good hard look at what they had going on... sorry no pics. It seems they took the tunnel section from another truck and made an access panel out. They cut a fairly large hole in the existing tunnel then simple laid the new tunnel section over top and used sheetmetal screws to attach it. At first I was a little upset but they actually did a fairly decent job and as you can see from interior pics, you can't even tell. The up side is it is removable. This will make my swap to floor shift automatic a snap. I did also note that they chopped away a large portion of the crossmember that runs under the trans, just behind the bellhousing. They didn't do a pretty job on this. Something tend to later. It works just fine for now! Let me know if you have additional questions. I will do my best to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
Solid truck there. I think I spy a factory red seat. Is it intact under the blanket? If what you do to this truck is equal to your work on the rabbit pickup, this will be fun to watch. Bro got some sheet metal game!
Thanks OEM. Yes, it is a red seat truck but unfortunately at quick glance it seems to have taken quite the beating over the years. Haven't been brave enough to take the cover completely off to see what I am working with yet. I would like to do my best to restore it as close to OE as possible. I really like the red with the back and gold inserts. Super classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
The blue Datsun is awesome! What did you get for it if you don't mind saying? One of those is on my must have list.
Thanks Don! I got it on trade for some work I did on a friends 53 Belair. It started out life with me very well battered-

After a bunch of clean up, dialing in the stance, the wheels/tires and fixing all the "old man" issues I got it to the point you saw in the first post. I sold it for $3200.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
WCHLVR

Curiosity got the best of me. Took the seat cover off the back of my bench and found a pleasant surprise-

Then I just had to pull the bottom cover. Struck gold. It was dirty as hell. Did one quick shampoo. Really started to shape up. Both the back and bottom are still a little damp in these shots. A few more cleanings and it will quite nice.

"Brutus" just keeps getting better and better!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
WCHLVR

No serious updates. Finally got tired of not having a place to set a drink so I whipped this up. Got the adjustable holder from Autozone for $7 and I just made up a backing plate for it out of some 14ga sheet shock I had laying around. It is rock solid and works like a champ. The best part is it is invisible at a glance.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
McMurphy

Well and to the site!!

Sounds like you are going to have a ton of fun with this build, I hope you keep us in photos of your progress !!

What year was that Datsun, 1974-76ish? I remember they had a 2door coupe with that same grille (we call them the cheese grater grilles when I was a kid) and if I were going to build a small sports coupe, that would be it!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
pdxhall

Looks like a great truck to start with. Lots of great options. Always nice to welcome another Oregonian. Good luck.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
WCHLVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Well and to the site!!

Sounds like you are going to have a ton of fun with this build, I hope you keep us in photos of your progress !!

What year was that Datsun, 1974-76ish? I remember they had a 2door coupe with that same grille (we call them the cheese grater grilles when I was a kid) and if I were going to build a small sports coupe, that would be it!!
Thanks McMurphy! He has been a great truck for sure. It was a 77. First year for the Kingcab. Also a great truck... I just had the draw to have something American again. And glad I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Looks like a great truck to start with. Lots of great options. Always nice to welcome another Oregonian. Good luck.
Thanks Hall!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
65c10restomod

Not used to seeing people refer to there truck as he.
65c10restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
69 chevy 1

hey cool truck nice find with no rot cool, i to love vw's here is mine also have 66 suburban
Attached Images

69 chevy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobbykey View Post
How odd is that?
I always refer to cars as she, and trucks as he.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
WCHLVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobbykey View Post
Yeah... almost every one of my vehicles in the past have been referred to as a "her" but on the trip home from purchasing it I come to realize there is nothing "girl like" about this truck. I felt it would have almost been an insult to call it a "her"! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 chevy 1 View Post
hey cool truck nice find with no rot cool, i to love vw's here is mine also have 66 suburban
Bad ass Single my friend. What year is it?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Bomp

Welcome to the forum
Nice solid truck. You mentioned layin' frame.

What route do you plan on taking?
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
1963c-10

Welcome and great looking project.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #21
WCHLVR

Thanks again for the props folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Welcome to the forum
Nice solid truck. You mentioned layin' frame.

What route do you plan on taking?
Not entirely sure yet. Thought about Z-ing it but we'll have to see how time and money plays out. Most of my projects are "seat of the pants" builds! LOL

Neat shot from today. I swear I could load my buddies 67 520 into the bed of my C10.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #22
WCHLVR

Couldn't take the nose bleeds anymore. So I fired up the plasma and brought Brutus down to a respectable height. I will likely bring the rear down a little more but this is a good start. I think it should ride fairly well once I get the shorter shocks mounted.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #23
WCHLVR

After relocated front shock mounts and another 1" out of the back (and a fresh bath). This is where Brutus sits now-

Was at the dump and spotted this on the way out. What a fatty LOL-

Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #24
WCHLVR

Got tired of the terrible lighting. Swapped out the incandescent sealed beams for some Ecode H4 lenses. These ones I fitted also have city lights built in. Think it makes it look super classy!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #25
kgmunro

What did you do to lower it?
kgmunro is offline   Reply With Quote