The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2002, 10:54 PM   #1
greasemonkey

For those of you dash-hackers-

I have decided to cut the dash. I had the Custom Autosound cassette player but it didn't work well at all, cassette controls were weird and there was lots of static. Anyway, when I got my floor sandblasted, the radio died. I was researching the Kenwood from Chevy Duty, GMC Pauls etc with CD controller, but I would fork out $300 for the radio and then another $300 for the CD player when I can spend a few hours cutting the dash and installing a high-quality Pioneer or JVC with the CD player built in for $200-$300. My question- what setup do you hackers use, brand etc. Pics would be greatly appreciated. At my local truck shop, they have flip face JVC and Pioneer both.
P.S. I know there are a lot of threads on this subject, I did a search on it, but all the pictures were expired.
Thanks, John
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
mikep
Used to have a truck

I am a certified dash hacker who runs a Kenwood KDC-MP 8017. I can play conventional CD'd and CD's in an MP3 format that I record on my computer. Its nice being able to fit 180 or so songs on a single CD especially when I am going on long trips over the mountain passes or I just get tired of the same 12 songs getting repeated on the radio all the time. Its a 47 watt per channel and has Kenwoods typical clarity and lack of distortion at higher volumes.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:12 PM   #3
chevyforever
Some like em' long!

i have done alot of car stereo in my days, and i would greatly recommend buying Alpine brand equipment. Alpine is by far higher quality than anything else out there. Even the cheapest Alpine cd player would sound better, perform better, and last longer than the most expensive pioneer etc... they are really easy to install in any vehicle, the best way to hack at the metal dash is to use a jigsaw with a blade made for cutting thin metal. sorry but right now i don't have any pics on it, but if i remember right, i found a website with some good pics on it. if i find it i will let u know!
forever

1972 chevy k10 lwb- 350,4 spd, old and tired, dad bought brand new and is now mine

1968 chevy c20 lwb- 327, 4 spd, was originally a 50th anniversary truck

1990 GMC K1500-just my runaround truck

1982 Chevy K10 shortbed, new motor and new paint, another project in the mix of the others.

IMPORTS SUCK!
chevyforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:18 PM   #4
Ackattack

I've got a sony head unit, pioneer speakers, and a JBL 10" sub in the custom center console with a 160 W amp.

When I started to cut the dash, I was like "here goes nothing". I used a mini hack saw to do it.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
1968GMC
love my truck

I just instaled a JVC CD #KD-SX780 $260 tax in cd. I cut my dash with a air grinder, went verry well. I got the JVC cause of the rotery nob for the volume( I hate push-button) and the price is write.
1968GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #6
orange72

heres my dash..its a sorry pic but you get the idea..all i did was take a jig saw with metal blade and cut the dash the same size as the metal box that goes around the cd player..then slip that in the hole bend the tabs to keep it from coming back out and your set..also i put some maskin tap around the hole to protect my paint from the jig saw..

Old 11-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Measure twice...cut once.
Heck, better to need to remove more a second time. You don't wanna mess this up!
I did it on mine, and I gotta say, don't get a pioneer. They suck.
I used a hack saw blade to trim mine. There will be a little bit of original hole left after you trim for the DIN hole, I started by cutting along the top of the opening, that way the slight gap would be on the bottom, and therefor unnoticable.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 04:55 AM   #8
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Mine is cut out just like longhornmail's but I fabbed a piece of aluminum to cover up the gaps, spray-painted it black, looks nice...I'll snag a pic of it but it won't be up until Sunday night at the earliest.

I've got an Aiwa CDC-MP3 in mine. Replaced my CDC-X136 with it...it's absolutely awesome. Sounds great with my 2 Infinity 652i 6.5" speakers, and getting 140-180 songs on an MP3 disc is awesome.

My brother has their newer CDC-MP32, which looks even cooler (sounds about the same though) but also has a motorized, unremovable faceplate. He's had one stolen and I don't like the risk (which is VERY high, Aiwas tend to have gimpy motors) of a broken motor disabling the unit.
Old 11-15-2002, 09:04 AM   #9
dubie

Pioneer is a great brand if it's the premier line. I run a cheapo Kenwood on mine right noe because i Never drive it, but I would love to get an Alpine. They are the highest quality deck on the market and have come down considerably in price.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:11 AM   #10
Huck

Longhornmail, what is that behind the opening for radio? Looks like a vegatable garden or maybe that dope smoking old man left a few seeds laying around and they started to grow!!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 09:19 AM   #11
Woody

different approch

Well I got a 68 with a cut dash. Someone really butchered it. They had put an AM FORD Radio in the dash. Crap for brains for sure! I pulled it out of threw it in the trash!!!!!!!!

Anyway I needed a radio quickly for my hunting trip, 110 miles and no tunes sucks, so theres what I did. Sorry no pics but I had a bunch of kitchen cabnet drawer fronts. It was about 4" x 16" x 3/4" thick. I cut out a square hole by drilling the corners with a 1/2" drill then used a jig saw (Hack saw will work) to cut the 4 sides hole to hole. Then after shaping with a rasp/file a little Slid the metal box for a cd player right into the hole folded the tabs and slid in the cd player.

Next I got a pair of 'L' brackets and longer screws for the Heater controls and mounted the L brackets to the heater control screws onthe bottom of the dash. Then mounted the drawer front to the L brackets. Clears the heater box and everything nicely.

Next (I don't recommend this part), I mounted a short black antenna in the right radio knob hole in the dash. It doesn't pick up as good as it should but I was in a hurry and this was a quick fix without having to remove the cowl to run an antenna coax.

Anyway the Oak lower dash with the cd player really looks good. If I finish the wood it would look Great. I'll see if I can get a pic sometime next week..
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:08 AM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck
Longhornmail, what is that behind the opening for radio? Looks like a vegatable garden or maybe that dope smoking old man left a few seeds laying around and they started to grow!!
LOL! I'm so used to seeing it I don't even notice it.
That is the remains of some fiberglass insulation after a small fire the truck has lived through. I dunno who nor when, but they sure as heck didn't repair everything they way they should have.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 11:18 AM   #13
XXL
Seņor Member

Hack away...

As for equipment choices, that boils down to needs, personal preference, and budget here's what I'm using...

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:50 PM   #14
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Starting from scratch, good idea! Did you de-profile the front yourself or did you buy the blank from somewhere?

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 04:11 PM   #15
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Long Knight
Starting from scratch, good idea! Did you de-profile the front yourself or did you buy the blank from somewhere?
Most of the original steel is still under there. Follow the link under my sig for more progress pics on the dash. Unfortunately, the one I posted above is the "latest" progress pic

Kenneth
Old 11-15-2002, 09:18 PM   #16
Paul Clark

I got a Sanyo. It's a single din (the only one I could find) size unit that has both a CD and a cassette.
The install guys at Best Buy sold me a plastic/rubber piece that fits around the opening that I cut. It covers up the round indentations you still have on each side after you cut the opening for the single din head unit.
I used a jig (saber?) saw to cut out the longest sections of the opening. I put duct tape on the bottom runners of the saw.
I also used a broken off hack saw blade held with a pair of vise grips for the corners.
Be careful if you use the saber saw. If you pull it out too far from where you are cutting, the blade will kick out and snarf up the dash.
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 09:27 AM   #17
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My son wanted a CD unit in his '69. I agonized about cutting the dash for him, but used a Dremel tool. I recommend using one, over any other tool mentioned in this thread.

I used the mouning sleeve from his JVC for a template and cut the opening to match it. The sleeve slid in perfectly (much tighter than putting a golf ball in a cup). The radio unit mounted in it and the face plate covered the edges very nicely.

I am now considering the same with my '69. Besides, if I ever sell it, it will be to someone else who shares my feelings. If it ain't butchered, it will be okay. All that really has to be cut is the corners. The height of the opening is fine for the DIN mountings.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:26 PM   #18
MellowYellow70

Quote:
I like the looks of that smooth dash, Have any of you ever tried the glovebox install, I used to do those all the time in our trucks and early fords, it adds security and keeps the factory dash intact, other wise you end up with something like this, the previous owner was a little bit of an eager beaver.
Attached Images

MellowYellow70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 07:43 PM   #19
WORNBRAKES

The dash in my 68 was cut when I bought it so i filled it with a Pioneer. He cut a bit much out so I made a backing plate out of pine and stained it to match my console.
Attached Images

69 C10 305/350
71 K5 Basket case
75 K10 Rescue **Parting out**
77 MG Midget **Parting out**
15 6.7L Cummins
WORNBRAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #20
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

Wornbrakes - that looks JUST like mine, with the exception that mine is held on by two allen-head bolts, one on either side of the radio.

One good thing for additional security - hook up the metal strap to the back of the radio to somewhere under the dash. Someone tried to steal my old headunit once...they bent that strap, dinged up the case, and scratched the filler plate, but they didn't get the stereo...
Old 11-19-2002, 10:46 AM   #21
oldcarbuff

I currently have a radio delete in my truck, but plan to cut it to add a head unit later. If I can figure out how, I am going to hinge the radio delete plate and mount the stereo deep enough that it will still look like there is not radio. Then I can flip down the plate and turn it on.

OCB
oldcarbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:50 AM   #22
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Radio cover blanks are great.

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick

Last edited by Long Knight; 11-19-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:22 PM   #23
chevy2racr
So Many Ideas, So Little Money

old car buff I've thought that same thing up, I have a couple radio deletes and I think to hold teh radio in behind the dash a bit I will use my faceplate adapter for my 93 cutlass supreme, i sticks out from the dash some so I figur, mount t backwards and there I go!
09 Malibu

Marshalltown, Iowa
chevy2racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:00 PM   #24
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcarbuff
I currently have a radio delete in my truck, but plan to cut it to add a head unit later. If I can figure out how, I am going to hinge the radio delete plate and mount the stereo deep enough that it will still look like there is not radio. Then I can flip down the plate and turn it on.

OCB
There is a company called Blitz-Safe that used to make a motorized sleeve that pulled your radio forward and back and flipped a door up over it. The standard install was to attach the sawed-off face of a cheapo or stock radio or a block-off plate to the door so it would look stock when closed. I'm not sure if they still make the item though. I actually ran across a motor for one of these the other day in my parts bin but I don't have the sleeves for it. They have a web site if you want to see if they're still available.

Kenneth
Old 11-19-2002, 10:36 PM   #25
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

WornBrakes. Love the look on your dash. Love the look of your glove box door. What did you do to the glove box door to get that effect?

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote