The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
imillionmax

where to put speakers?

I read a lot of threads, but still don’t know what to do. I have a very original looking 70 GMC, with a pretty clean interior with no holes. I really want a shaft style radio that’ll fit but have read the terrible reviews. I think I will try the www.retrosoundusa.com one even though no one has reviewed it on here it seems like it couldn’t be worse then the custom autosound? I also like the mini usb output, and can get a cheep Audiovox, or Jensen changer on eBay.

My problem is where to put the speakers? I don’t need anything amazing, just to be able to hear some country music over the small block 400, and the windows rolled down. I figure I could get a nice 4x10 under the dash, and was thinking about some 6x9’s in a box under the seat? I know many of you have said it’s not a good place at all to put speakers, but I don’t like the look of kick panels. If I get two nice 6x9’s and maybe an amp along with the 4x10 and a possibly crapy radio would it suffice my basic need?
[ATTACH]Name:  side view.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  89.0 KB[/ATTACH]
Attached Images

imillionmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
larry may

Re: where to put speakers?

Forget the Radio and speakers. Install a big ole Hairy camshaft , mello exhaust and listen to that music. Carry a Boom box for when not driving around, btw nice truck

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
72 cheyenne pdx

For a basic set up, I think you are on the right track. Instead of the 4x10 in the dash, I would recommend a pair of 3.5's. You can buy a pre-made set up at Brothers and other vendors, or you can make one yourself (pretty easy to do) that will go in its place.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

^^^ Correct!

Also, speakers under the seat sound like garbage and hardly put out anything audible besides a little bass, something that you really won't need.

Not doing kick panels complicates things. What I would try is getting a pair of tweeters from Boston Accoustic and have a local shop make some small pods to go under the dash. They could be place in several places where they really won't be noticeable, won't need to have the dash cut/drilled, and can be removed if you want. I'm going to take this same approach in my dad's El Camino only I'm doing some custom kick panels to hold a mid-bass speaker.

Go with one/two pair of Boston Accoustic tweeters and the 4x10 under the dash.

Personally, I would amp the tweeters using an ARC Audio kS125.2 Mini amp, or wait for the new Mini 4 channel amp which should be available soon, and use it to power the tweeters and the 4x10.

You can add a sub under your seat as well and power it with another amp. The only limit is how much you want to spend.

If you need any further explanation, I'm always available. I'll see if I can get some pics of the pods like I'm talking about.

EDIT: That's a dam clean truck BTW. I understand why you don't want to "molest" anything.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.

Last edited by AceX; 09-25-2008 at 06:24 PM.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
imillionmax

Thanks for the advice AceX, and 72 cheyenne, I went ahead and ordered the retro sound usa radio with the new all chrome knobs, so it should look good, but we will see how it sounds. I really like the idea of getting the Boston Acoustic tweeters under the dash, when the radio gets here I'll take it down to a custom install place and see what they can do. See if they can fit two pairs and an amp under the dash.
But I am wondering, if the head unit is not that great, then will the nice speakers and amp make a difference, or would something cheeper be just as good, I don't mind spending the money as long as I will be able to get what I pay for!
thanks again, and I have a somewhat mild cam in there and flowmasters coming out the rear, and it sounds pretty good
Old 09-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I'd go with the nice speakers and amps regardless of the head unit. Even if the radio isn't the best, it should still give out a clean signal.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #7
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Subscribed I'd like to see those Pic's!!!!!!!
Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net

Last edited by petey-pablo; 10-03-2008 at 05:19 AM.
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
imillionmax

I got the retro usa radio in and it looks good, also I got a new audiovox slim 6 disc changer on ebay for $50, and there will be a lot of room left in the glovebox.
I took it to a place and the guy said he didn't like 4x10's, but could just put two 6.5" in some wood under the dash and a mini amp. I liked AceX's tweeter idea, so should I just get him to hook up a nice component set? I'm gonna take it in on tuesday!
Old 10-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Hook up a component set for sure. If the guy can make it work, go for it.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
imillionmax

well it got finished, but I never got a chance to hear it or even see it before it got shipped here to Norway, so it'll take 4 weeks before I can give a review.
the installer fit two pioneer d series 6x9's under the dash though(non ac truck), he mounted them in some wood and covered it with some black felt and my dad said it looked real professional, but you can't see it at all sitting in the truck, and he put the amp under the seat.
All in all it was more than I wanted to spend, but stuff here cost about 3 times more, and anything I added to the truck I wouldn't have to pay taxes on so I went ahead and spent some money. Can't wait to get the truck here, it's really gonna turn some heads, and I'll get some pics asap!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
imillionmax

Finally got my truck after about 2 months! As for the radio...
First off as you can see in the pic it's installed all wrong and looks pretty bad, second they guy put 6.5's in after telling me not to get a component set, and instead get two 6x9's , so I said great, now I get it and without notice there's 6.5's in there, so even with the amp there is very little bass. The sound is incredibly clear, as it should be after getting the best speakers pioneer makes hooked up to an amp, but I guess I will have to get a shallow 8" sub under the drivers side. Will I have to get another amp for that, the amp now is just a 2 channel 600w running the 6.5's?

The CD changer works great, just $50 on ebay, and the radio controls for it are very easy, and fast! Plus there is still plenty of room.
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

The inputs of the amp are forward and back...right? It has places for 4 speakers coming out of the amp.
Hook the two 6.5 to the front and the sub to the back.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote