The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Jeffvega

73 up motor mount location on '70

I read the FAQ section on the mods required for the '73 up mounts on the '67-'72 frame but I was wondering if it locates the engine in the stock location forward/back as stock. I guess what I mean is if I were to do this would my engine drop back in and connect to the bellhousing of the trans like stock?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
shadetree

Re: 73 up motor mount location on '70

The swaps I've done, the engine was in roughly the same place (front to rear). I say "roughly", as any change of mounts ect can cause a slight (1/4" or so) shift.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
70rs/ss

Re: 73 up motor mount location on '70

Yes, and no, I think if you use the top two holes on the frame, the 73 and up is pretty close to those two holes then you redrill the bottom mount hole into the crossmember, but you may have to do the "install" twice, like once with the motor to locate the mounts where they need to be in order to match up to everything else, then pull it out (or try to drill the holes with the engine in there, but usually pulling the engine back out gives you lots of room) then reinstall the engine.

When I pull a motor, it is usually easier to me to pull the engine and trans at once, as it is a lot easier for me to mate the motor/trans together outside the vehicle and then install together as one big peice. If the mounts for the motor are a little forward of the stock location, you could just slide the trans crossmember forward and redrill those holes??
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote