The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2020, 11:21 PM   #1
Richard2112

Alternative to fuel tank behind seat:Speakers

This is a kit I built for my 70 C-30. Starting out I assigned myself some criteria
1) It had to use pre-existing hardware and contours of the cab No drilling/cutting
2) It had to have some acoustical properties Sound insulation/attenuation.
3) Once built, it had to be easy to install
4) It had to be multipurpose such that if I wanted to mount tools, hunting gear, stereo or whatever, I could easily choose.
5) It would have to made so it could be upholstered.
6) No visible mounting hardware
7) It couldn't be allowed to interfere with the seat travel
8) It couldn't interfere with seat belts (in my case, lap belts)

I chose to mount a stereo system. Built speaker boxes, bought amps and wired the whole thing before install. There are just three bolts needed to hold it in and those are the pre-existing bolts which once held the gas tank.
Attached Images

Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:57 PM   #2
gmc684x4

Re: Alternative to fuel tank behind seat:Speakers

Looks very nice cleaner then what i had done in my youth to my 68

I tossed in big kickers behind the seat put the amp and 6x9 speakers under the seat
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc684x4 View Post
Looks very nice cleaner then what i had done in my youth to my 68

I tossed in big kickers behind the seat put the amp and 6x9 speakers under the seat
Thank you gmc68. I've had the my tank moved for a few years and had gone over alotta options for a sound system. That system is made of 3/4 mdf. Nearly anything can be mounted on it. Gun racks would look nice too.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Alternative to fuel tank behind seat:Speakers

A lot of work went into that. Well done sir!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
A lot of work went into that. Well done sir!
Thank you Andy4639. It was a considerable more work than I originally thought. A couple features that aren't immediately evident is there is still storage space behind the speakers in the cab corners and the speakers operate on a hinge. These speakers are attached to the system with 8 feet of speaker wire and can be taken out of the cab and placed into/onto the bed or a table. If you're out doors alot, that might be handy.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
REDROCKER652002

Would love to see a list of items you used. My son's 69 will eventually have the tank relocated and that would be a pretty sweet setup.
REDROCKER652002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #7
Chevys4life

Man.......that is a very nice set-up you have!!!
Chevys4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #8
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDROCKER652002 View Post
Would love to see a list of items you used. My son's 69 will eventually have the tank relocated and that would be a pretty sweet setup.
Thank you REDROCKER. I could probably post pics of the process. Briefly, the speakers are made of 7 ply, 1/2 inch blondewood with a walnut veneer. Inside the speakers are lined with acoustical foam. The speaker boxes are then wrapped with vinyl for moisture protection (though I'd recommend peel and stick contact type). There are three components to the kit: a backing board, a shelf board and what I call a valence board. The valance board is the strip across the top which bolts in where the tank once bolted in. The upholstery which covers that valance board is stapled along the back edge and allowed to hang down freely (like a curtain) while it is being bolted in. Then a thin strip is tucked up under the lower edge of the valance which is cut to receive it. That thin strip holds the vinyl in place.

Don't know if any of that makes sense. Maybe some pictures will help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard2112; 09-04-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #9
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevys4life View Post
Man.......that is a very nice set-up you have!!!
Thank you Chevy4life I still have to install the head unit. Ran power and ground today. I'll see if I find some more pics of the process.

The back board has 3/4 in styrofoam board attached for a few reasons. One is to deaden outside sound. Another is so I could through-bolt components and not have the bolts contact the wall of the cab. Plus it gives a place to route wiring. Has some thermal value also the back window wont sweat as much.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Richard2112

Tried it out yesterday. Sounds like sitting in a theater. Great acoustics. Can't wait for an opportunity to test the top end of that system.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

In all the 67-72 trucks Ive owned I dont remember a single one having a working radio. If I was ever going to go with a "system" Im defiantly going to shoot you a PM, yours looks great, nicely done.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
In all the 67-72 trucks Ive owned I dont remember a single one having a working radio. If I was ever going to go with a "system" Im defiantly going to shoot you a PM, yours looks great, nicely done.
Thank you CG. I thought it was only my truck that came without a radio. lol!. I tried to install the actual classic units but they were generally too deep and would contact the firewall before seating in the dash. Also, the knobs were at different locations than the holes in the dash. After years of debating this, I finally got tired of having no music available and installed an after market unit.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

My ramp truck has no radio. It's not a big deal yet on having one.
My 71 on the other hand has one and I also did the rear of cab speaker route after removing the tank.
Not near as bad ass as your's though but it does sound good. Mine has gone through several changes over the past 37 years of owning it. I had the amps mounted on the board at first then moved them into the center console. I used a 4" whole saw to drill the back side of the console to add a fan to keep the amps cool. I have tweeters up over the seat belts and some day I will do some into the dash if I ever have it painted again are need the windshield replaced.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #14
Richard2112

Quote:
My ramp truck has no radio. It's not a big deal yet on having one.
My 71 on the other hand has one and I also did the rear of cab speaker route after removing the tank.
Not near as bad ass as your's though but it does sound good. Mine has gone through several changes over the past 37 years of owning it. I had the amps mounted on the board at first then moved them into the center console. I used a 4" whole saw to drill the back side of the console to add a fan to keep the amps cool. I have tweeters up over the seat belts and some day I will do some into the dash if I ever have it painted again are need the windshield replaced.
I like your idea of running a fan to cool the amps. When I mounted the amps to the board, I used nylon bushings to stand off the amps from the board. There is a bushing at each bolt that holds the amp 1/2 inch away from the vinyl. No fan, but air passage
Old 09-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

My seat hit the amps when I got everything finally hard mounted. I didn't want them hitting so I moved them inside the console.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 09-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #16
ltdmstr

Going to be a while before I get around to doing mine, but think I'm going to recess the amps so they don't stick out. Also, going to get the outer surface sprayed with Line-X.
ltdmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #17
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdmstr View Post
Going to be a while before I get around to doing mine, but think I'm going to recess the amps so they don't stick out. Also, going to get the outer surface sprayed with Line-X.
I ran a peel and stick sound deadener inside my cab before the install. It works sorta like dynomat but far cheaper. My amps get fairly warm so I needed to be sure they had good air flow. I don't know if they have an internal fan but they should have.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #18
Richard2112

Quote:
My seat hit the amps when I got everything finally hard mounted. I didn't want them hitting so I moved them inside the console.
My amps clear the seat but my original speaker boxes were taller and they hit the top of the seat. I had to shorten them a couple inches. I also built a nice set of oak grills with Marshal amp speaker cloth but the grills stuck out a bit too much. Can't use'm.
Attached Images