The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
sixnine
Longtime Member

Talking I'm gonna beat this subject to DEATH!!! (Pics incl.)

I've done a search, I 've even checked out the FAQ board. Ended up being more confused afterwards than before, so bear with me.
I'm TRYING to do the one-wire alt. upgrade. The problem with mine is that I don't seem to have that battery junction block that came original on the truck. All of the wires were crimped together like so.........
Attached Images

1972 C10 Short Step -http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=261405

Last edited by sixnine; 12-17-2002 at 08:29 PM.
sixnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 11:50 AM   #2
sixnine
Longtime Member

..............so, I cut everything and made what I thought were the right connections. Turned the key......and NOTHING. So, If I attatch the red wire from the ALT. to the batery, and the white wire from the ALT. to the brown wire going to the guage, Where do the red wire and the black inline fuse go? Sorry to beat this subject to death. I'd sincerely appreciate the help though. I'll post a few pics to help visualize................
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 AM   #3
sixnine
Longtime Member

and one more.......................
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2002, 12:30 PM   #4
73stepside

the wire coming from the fuse block and thru the fender is what powers everything, so hook that wire to the other red wire coming from the radiator support, that is also where the black with white wire attaches. the red wire running from the alternator to the ext regulator should be cut out, or you can splice it and run it to the battery. that sould be about it. if you need more, i will draw you a diagram of how i ran mine, but it's not a one wire. hope this helps.
73stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 08:39 PM   #5
sixnine
Longtime Member

So I should connect the one red wire from the alt. to the battery post as well as the red wire coming from the bottom of the fuse block? Where is the factory junction block supposed to be located? And where is the red wire exiting out the TOP of the fuse block supposed to be hooked up? I know questions,questions,questions.......................

Old 12-17-2002, 08:52 PM   #6
john
member #16

wiring diagrams

These might help if you dont have them. http://www.geocities.com/chevroletc1070/wiringdias.html
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 11:48 PM   #7
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

sixnine i have a file that might be of some use to you, some members were passing it around its all about one wire alternator installations, email me at jhickson6@shaw.ca for it.

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 PM   #8
humbulay
1971 C10 LWB under const.

if you haven't got if working yet I went through the same **** w/ mine a few months ago. I had to make a jumper wire from one terminal to another on the back of the alternator to get working. I'll check it out tomorrow and give you more details if'n you still need help. aggravat'n a'int tit!?