The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
68crum
Proud owner of a P.O.S.

brand new silverado.... problems!!

I just bought a brand new 09 4x4 Tuesday. Rolled over 1000mi Thursday and i started hearing a grinding noise coming up through the 4wd stick along with vibration. Put it in 4wd and it sounds like rocks are in the t-case, turn the wheel a little and it stops dead in its tracks. I have already taken it back to the dealer and they gave me a POS loaner to drive. I know its all under warranty but WTF?! It seems to me that they put different gear ratios in the diffs. I have always been a chevy fan but I drive around 6000 miles a month, it needs to be dependable. The last 3 new chevys I have bought have had problems right from the get go. Sorry to whine but I needed to vent a little.
68crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
oomag12

Re: brand new silverado.... problems!!

I feel your pain.
oomag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Huck

Do they have LEMON laws in Tenn? I think I would demand a new truck from the dealer as they obviously built a POC and you bought it. They should take it back and keep it--give you a new truck that is perfect!That is what you agreeded to buy and that is what you paid for--no?
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
va_tlc

dang i hate to see this, i just bought one also, maybe i better try out the 4x4 since we just got snow today, good luck and hope it all comes out for the best, let us know what happens plz

2006gt

1972swb4x4
va_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
68crum
Proud owner of a P.O.S.

Huck: I live in Arkansas now and they do have a lemon law. But you have to give the dealer 3 chances to fix a single problem. Went through this on my wifes 06' cobalt. Believe me... I'm pissed! I thought I was buying a new "dependable" truck. $28,000 later I have something that was, to me, poorly built. Is it that the quality just isn't there anymore?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
66truckin

my last 2 brand new gm's were perfect, last one being a 07 sierra classic so it's not that every one of them are like that.
66truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
oomag12

My 06 classic has been nothing but a dog. I have owned many and mean many GM vehicles, and this one is by far the worst to date. It is a Mexican manufactured truck, and I believe thats where the trouble lies. I have always had real good luck with Canadian vehicles, I still own two, a 97 GMC and 75 Pontiac.

Last edited by oomag12; 03-02-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
68crum
Proud owner of a P.O.S.

Finally got my truck back after 2 weeks, a t-case and front diff rebuild. Still a little concerned though. Does anyone here have a newer 4wd with the manual stick? The front still seem to bind more than I'm used to. The dealer says its because it has al ocker in the front diff. I don't remember much if any binding from any others that I've owned.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
oomag12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68crum View Post
Finally got my truck back after 2 weeks, a t-case and front diff rebuild. Still a little concerned though. Does anyone here have a newer 4wd with the manual stick? The front still seem to bind more than I'm used to. The dealer says its because it has al ocker in the front diff. I don't remember much if any binding from any others that I've owned.
Binding in a tight turning radius???
Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
chevyfan87

if its binding in a tight turn, dont let them bull**** you...tell them you want them to look at your seals on the cv shaft, you can probably check yourself just by looking for wetness... im not 100 percent on how the 09's are set up but my 2000 binds in tight turns because like many others i have seen my axle seals went and my CV's are turning dry and they bind when you turn real sharp...lots of fun trying to park it when you never know where the front of the truck wants to go haha

2000 gmc sierra 1500 4.3 4x4

too poor for the projects
chevyfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
msgross

ask to test drive another truck and see how it turns..sucks to hear bad new with that much of an investment.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgross View Post
ask to test drive another truck and see how it turns..sucks to hear bad new with that much of an investment.
Exactly!

Some auditable gurgling and grinding noises from the tcase, vibrations going down the road and binding on a hard turn in 4wd is a normal characteristic of any 4x4 (a true 4x4, not an AWD or a GM truck with the NV 246 AutoCrap electric shift POS).

The manual shift 4wd system is actually the best and most dependable system GM offers. I have an ’01 and an ’05 with manual shift tcases for that reason. Got stuck with the electric shift Autocrap in my ’04 Hoe as it is standard equipment.

I would be interested in looking at the warranty history on your VIN to see what they really did. From what you said so far, I don’t hear anything that is unusual. And there is no “locker” in the front of any stock GM vehicle. Your dealer is scaring me. Especially, if they ripped open a new transfercase for a normal characteristic.

Keep in mind….GM didn’t make the transfercase. Actually GM doesn’t make anything! They are like any other manufacturer….they “Assemble” components made by suppliers to build vehicles. If you are upset at the transfercase (if it really did fail) be upset at New Venture Gear (Now Magna International).

Hope this turned out well for you 68crum
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote