The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Chada

New Member with a few questions

Hi all I have been reading the board for about a week now. I got a 1970 Custom/10 long bed off craigslist here in Richmond, Virginia about a week ago. I paid 1500 for it. It is a non a/c truck with a 350 and an automatic th-350 trans with power steering. We could drive it home but it ran like crap and it turned out to have a bad cam and zero compression on one cylinder. We disassembled the motor and it had burned valves and bad pistons. Amazing that it ran at all. Since the motor was toast I am not sure whether I got a good deal or not but its too late to worry about now. The good news is that the frame is totally solid. We have found almost no rust other than the inner rockers and the inner fender under the battery and some surface rust on the body. Cab, cab floor and bed are all very nice. My friend and I are doing the restoration.

In the last few days we have removed the engine and transmission and sent them to the machine shop and the transmission shop. She is up on jackstands now and the tear down is about done. Transmission condition was unknown but I figure I might as well do it to while we are at it. Mechanically the truck needs just about everything our parts list is already 2 1/2 pages. I figure if its borderline we replace it so I dont have to worry about it later. Our plan is to replace all the mechanicals while we wait for the engine and tranny then install engine and tranny and an ac kit, headers and exhaust then move on to the body work.

I have been using the search function for days trying to answer some questions I have and have read tons of posts but I have not been able to find the answer. Can someone tell me or point me to a post that explains the difference between the c/10 and the custom/10? I assume just different option packages? Also could someone tell me how to determine what the factory colors were for the truck? I am pretty sure the original color was a yellow green color but I am trying to figure out if it was all this yellow green or if it was part white like the top of the cab? Also what is the difference between the regular and a Cheyenne package?

Anyway, I will post some pictures soon and thanks for all the information.

Richard

Last edited by Chada; 06-25-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Chada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Re: New Member with a few questions

Richard,

to the board from Mid-MO!!

It sounds like you picked up a decent project; working on these things is half the fun of owing it.... well sometimes.

I'll chime in on the color for your truck. If you refer to the SPID (label on the backside of the glovebox) it should mention the color combination. For instance, mine reads white/light green.

Click here for to view the color options available for a 1970 Chevrolet Pickup.

Best of luck on your project, and I'm sure you will have a few other members chime in here shortly for the options available under the C/10 and Custom/10.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 06-25-2009 at 02:05 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Chada

Thanks for the info. I definitely enjoy working on it. I have also have a 37 foot wood cabin cruiser so I guess I am already a sucker for punishment. I just finished that project to the extent that it is ever finished. Instead of take a break I started on this truck. I guess I just can't keep still.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
VA72C10
VA72C10

Hey from down the road. The SPID on the inside of the glovebox is the first place to check of course and you can also decode the vin online. Can't wait to check out the project. You should start taking some pictures and posting them in a build thread on the projects page here. We all like to check each other's rides out and enjoy seeing progress. Plus, if you ever end up selling the truck it would be good to have the evidence of your work and upgrades.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Chada

Thanks for the info. You are welcome to check it out the truck is currently at my friend's in Hopewell. I am gonna get ready to place a couple of large parts orders in the next couple of days and then we are gonna start the massive parts replacement.