The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
Dapper Dan

vacuum advance

Hey guys need a little help. My truck has never had the vacuum advance on the distributor hooked up. The truck runs great but I heard it is not good to run without it. The problem is the fitting on my carb is already hooked up to the canister. Sorry if i confused everyone I'll post some pics to try and show it.

Also once I find a vacuum source is it as simple as plugging a line in? Or is there adjustments to make?
Attached Images

Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: vacuum advance

What is a truck with a points distributor and a Holley carb doing with a carbon canister any way?

I would just go the rest of the way to smog free and disconnect the carbon can and use the vacuum line for the vacuum advance.

If your base timing is OK now then hooking up the vacuum advance will not require any changes to the tune.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
Dapper Dan

Thanks for the info. I never knew what that canister was. That's how it was hooked up when I got it and I am just learning as I go. I don't have any emissions or smog to worry about so I can just pull that canister out then?
Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

You could remove it.

Don't forget to plug the line coming into the carbon canister. It may leak fuel vapors or even liquid fuel.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Libertad
No Nonsense

I still have the canister in my 75'. Have been wanting to remove it also but truck has been running great and didnt want to mess with it. So taking it off will not change anything with how the truck runs?
Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
I still have the canister in my 75'. Have been wanting to remove it also but truck has been running great and didnt want to mess with it. So taking it off will not change anything with how the truck runs?
It only filters the fuel vapors so as long as you don't have a computer controlled vehicle that interacts with the canister then it shouldn't make the engine act any different if you remove it.

I have removed quite a few and never noticed any change in the way the engine worked. It just cleaned things up a bit.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Libertad
No Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
It only filters the fuel vapors so as long as you don't have a computer controlled vehicle that interacts with the canister then it shouldn't make the engine act any different if you remove it.

I have removed quite a few and never noticed any change in the way the engine worked. It just cleaned things up a bit.

Thanks looks like I will be removing it today. When you say "cleans things up a bit" you mean less clutter in the engine bay or does it actually clean up how the motor runs (breathes better)?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertad View Post
Thanks looks like I will be removing it today. When you say "cleans things up a bit" you mean less clutter in the engine bay or does it actually clean up how the motor runs (breathes better)?
Just cleans up a little clutter in the engine compartment.