The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
ajgriffin

Engine Troubleshooting

So I'm having some trouble with the truck. Whenever I put it in gear it idles down really low, stays running, but idles low. Then when I go to accelerate it shuts off. The only way I can keep it running is if I get it some gas before I put it in gear. My choke doesn't work so the clutch plate is always open, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-08-2009, 03:29 AM   #2
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Re: Engine Troubleshooting

There's alot of possibilities. Could be a bad vacum leak and a weak accelerator pump to go along with it. Sounds to me like the timing might be too slow and the idle screw set too high. What carb/distributor are you running and what type of choke does it have? Also, have you tried adjusting the idle jets?

Another thing to consider is the condition of the engine. Have you done a compression test on it?
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
There's alot of possibilities. Could be a bad vacum leak and a weak accelerator pump to go along with it. Sounds to me like the timing might be too slow and the idle screw set too high. What carb/distributor are you running and what type of choke does it have? Also, have you tried adjusting the idle jets?

Another thing to consider is the condition of the engine. Have you done a compression test on it?
I have the timing set at 8* before TDC if I remember straight. I'm not sure how I would know if my idle screw was set too high -- I don't have a tach on the truck. I don't know anything about the distributor but the carb is a Holley 4160 with an electric choke.

I haven't messed with the idle jets or done a compression test. I don't know how to do either of those.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 AM   #4
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

why is that vacuum port on the pass. rear of the carb open? that will do it. it should go to the PCV valve.
do I see a brake booster with no vacuum hose running to it? IIRC there should be another 3/8" port on the front of the carb. if so, run that to the brake booster.

what's the number on the front of the choke horn? 80457S?
the idle mix screws (idle jets) are on each side of the front metering block. ideal setting is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. a good carb guy could do a full tune on it for you.

Last edited by 68C15; 11-08-2009 at 06:33 AM.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
cdowns

you might want to change the rubber fuel line to a metal fuel line before the fire
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 11-08-2009 at 08:40 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
why is that vacuum port on the pass. rear of the carb open? that will do it. it should go to the PCV valve.
do I see a brake booster with no vacuum hose running to it? IIRC there should be another 3/8" port on the front of the carb. if so, run that to the brake booster.

what's the number on the front of the choke horn? 80457S?
the idle mix screws (idle jets) are on each side of the front metering block. ideal setting is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. a good carb guy could do a full tune on it for you.
This pretty much covers what I would suggest looking at. I can see the vacum hose for the pcv valve laying on the valve cover. That needs to be hooked back up to the carb. That may solve the problem.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote