The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
thrtsxchambers

A/C box?

My truck has a/c but not all hooked up but have a question. The other trucks I see have a box next to the blower motor with a canister but mine does not. As far as I know the a/c is stock but wondering why mine does not have the same components as others, are different years different, mine is an 83'. The only thing not hookes up is the compressor and hook the lines up, my lines feed through the firewall like others but no box and no hole like others where the box is at. This may sound dumb but I'm not familiar with the a/c setup in these trucks. I borrowed these pics from another post but this is the piece I don't have and wondering why but yet have a/c.
Attached Images

Last edited by thrtsxchambers; 02-28-2010 at 04:57 PM.
thrtsxchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: A/C box?

its prolly aftermarket or dealer installed AC please post pics so we can see for sure

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
thrtsxchambers

Here is a picture of mine. The previous owner had a crate motor put in and did not put the a/c compressor back on but I got the compressor when I bought the truck. I have the brackets to put it back on but not sure how it all goes together, especially since I don't have the same components as others. I would like to have it back on by summer and hopefully work on my engine compartment, as you can see it is not clean right now. I just noticed that the hoses on my firewall go in where others have the hole where the air box is at. Any info about this and what I need to get my a/c working is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by thrtsxchambers; 02-28-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Well,

By the looks of it, You have a non-AC truck. There's no evaporator, The hoses going to the firewall are for the heater core.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 02-28-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
thrtsxchambers

Thats what I though when I bought it but he gave me the compressor a few days after I bought it. He said he never put it back on, I wasn't sure if it was some aftermarket kit. So does that mean I have to buy a full kit to have air, I thought about getting one from vintage air anyway to replace mine but I guess the price just doubled?

Last edited by thrtsxchambers; 02-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

He must have been confused with what the compressor came off of ?

Look at your heater controls and see if they have any AC settings, If no then you may have to go with a vintage air type system. I've seen many guys go from/remove AC but don't recall seeing any going from heat only to AC as far as the firewall is concerned.

BTW, How's the doors coming ? Would still like info on that project !
97 GMC Ext. Cab

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Stitch
Account Suspended

maybe put some pics up of the driver's side and we can help you figure out what's going on ...sounds to me like you have an aftermarket setup on the truck
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 PM   #8
thrtsxchambers

I tried eariler but it was dark and the batteries died in my camera, I'll get one in the morning.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
winchster

I have a '78 Blazer that I'm scrapping that was an AC truck from the factory. If you need the Evaporator housing let me know in the next two weeks and I will pull it off. The evap is shot but the housing should save you some money by putting the factory stuff back in vs an aftermarket setup.

Support our troops, stand behind 'em or get in front of 'em.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?
winchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
thrtsxchambers

I have not forgot this, I have to get some batteries for my camera and then get some pics of the passenger side.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
Stitch
Account Suspended

pics of the driver's side...
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 AM   #12
thrtsxchambers

You are correct, the drivers side. Hopefully in the morning.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
thrtsxchambers

Finally got some batteries on the way home from class and have pictures. The hose on the left side comes through the firewall and the hose on the right goes throught the core support to what looks like a condensor. The hose then comes back through the core support and goes to nothing. The hose on the right bottom of the pic is the hose that comes back in, its tie wrapped in a loop and tucked out of the way.please tell me is a a/c system so I don't have to buy a whole new kit, I would like to replace the compnents under the dash b/c it does not work well b/c some criters chewed on it while it was in the barn.
Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by thrtsxchambers; 03-03-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:05 AM   #14
thrtsxchambers

Can someone look at this and tell me if the canister on the driver side is for a/c and if this is some kind of afermarket unit?
Thanks guys.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #15
Prong

Pull your glovebox out and you should be able to see the ducting/blower motor/evaporator behind it. I'll bet it's an ARA (went bankrupt several years ago) unit, which is very similar to Vintage Air. Should be a plate on there somewhere that'll tell you exactly what it is. If it's all there, rustle up a compressor, brackets, and go down to an A/C shop and see what happens.

Last edited by Prong; 03-07-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Prong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #16
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrtsxchambers View Post
Can someone look at this and tell me if the canister on the driver side is for a/c

Yes, That's the receiver dryer. It should be replaced AFTER you get the compressor/hoses and everything else all hooked back up, But JUST before you have the system evacuated (vacuum pulled) for re-charging.

You don't want a new dryer sitting on a non-evacuated system too long.
97 GMC Ext. Cab