The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Just For Fun... GMC vs CHEVY

Im sure this has been asked before.. but I'm curious about whats the real difference between the GMC and Chevy's... besides some trim and grilles... I've heard that GMC's we're built a bit more tougher than Chevy's... any expert opinions out there??

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
JohnC

Re: Just For Fun... GMC vs CHEVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude76 View Post
Im sure this has been asked before.. but I'm curious about whats the real difference between the GMC and Chevy's... besides some trim and grilles... I've heard that GMC's we're built a bit more tougher than Chevy's... any expert opinions out there??
Nope that's pretty much it...trim, and grilles. Other than that they are pretty much the same.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
dammitmitchell
the pollock

GMC
Godly
Man
Charriot..
heheheh

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Nope that's pretty much it...trim, and grilles. Other than that they are pretty much the same.
They went down the same assembly line, one right after another.

(In fact, sometimes the same truck was a Chevy on one side and a GMC on the other!).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
BigBlocksRule

Not in the old days - '72 and prior. GMC was the better of the two. They had more creature comforts and generally got stronger engines/trannies. Cabs, fenders and grills were all different on the '47 - '54's and some parts of the '55 - '59. There were several engines that were exclusive to GMC, couldn't get 'em in a Chevy. After '73, the only differences were the badging.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

A GMC is basically a Chevrolet with lock washers!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
wedgemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
My Dad used to tell me that!

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
GMC Guy

Quote:
haha i like that!
L33 5.3/4l65e

.................__
............._____l __\__
..............l_(O)_ l___(O)]
GMC Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

LOL..... Chevy with Lock-washers... Haven't heard that one.. i like it! I guess it's a matter of taste then, between the two makes.. I always thought GMC's looked a bit fancier.. but thats me... Junk-yard here has a 90 'Burb.. and the guy said he would sell me the front for the conversion on my truck for $225.. you all think thats a fair deal?? Thing is though.. its a GMC... wanted the Chevy front grille for that... but the GMC's not lookin too bad, I can pull the lettering off the grill i suppose.. Can anybody post pics of GMC front conversions????

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."

Last edited by CaliDude76; 06-11-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

(In fact, sometimes the same truck was a Chevy on one side and a GMC on the other!).

K
Ya my dads first '78 was a chevy on the outside and had a GMC horn button and dash insert inside. He got it new.

Quote:
LOL..... Chevy with Lock-washers... Haven't heard that one.. i like it! I guess it's a matter of taste then, between the two makes.. I always thought GMC's looked a bit fancier.. but thats me... Junk-yard here has a 90 'Burb.. and the guy said he would sell me the front for the conversion on my truck for $225.. you all think thats a fair deal?? Thing is though.. its a GMC... wanted the Chevy front grille for that... but the GMC's not lookin too bad, I can pull the lettering off the grill i suppose.. Can anybody post pics of GMC front conversions????
Sounds like a good deal to me, get the clip and sell/swap for a chevy grill. It will bolt in.

And since it was asked, personally I perfer GMC. I have always thought they were better looking...
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #11
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:

K
Hey Mr Seymore, been reading some of your assembly line stories.. pretty kool stuff. Just curious though... I'm assuming not all of the trucks were specifically ordered by customers... but how did G.M. determine how many, and what trim packages to make (Silverado's, Sierra Classics, Custom Deluxe...and such..). There had to be hundreds of configurations on these trucks....

Old 06-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
bharrison1

i have been pulling parts off my grandpas old 86 GMC 1/2 ton longbed and have been surprised at the differences between it and my 87 Chevy 1/2 ton longbed his truck has the 1 inch rotors which is wierd because that truck has a V8 so you would think it would be more heavy duty than my truck which has a V6 his truck also had a one piece driveshaft while mine had the two piece til i swapped the one piece on it
bharrison1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
I LIKE that black Chevy you got there!!! That's real clean, my friend. That's the look I'm trying to go for with the front and trim. I have painted rally's on mine... but diggin on the rims and wheels.. what are those rims?

Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
another question.... how hard was it to do that conversion? Can I get away with not draining my radiator, and A/C condensor.. to put the radiator support in? also.. is that the stock size air-dam? THANKS

Old 06-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #15
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

i think the interesting thing was that GMC had their own 60 degree v-6 engine prior to 73ish; This was, i think, the first v-6 in a domestic brand---305, 351, 401, 478 etc.

1) This engine was gradually, around 68ish or something, then completely replaced by the chevy straight 6 in the gmc line.

a) Why was this? Was it because the staight six was the better engine? Or just cheaper?

2) The straight six was, in turn, replaced by the 90degree v-6---basically a small block minus 2 cylinders.

a) Why was this? Is the v-6 better than the straight six in light truck applications?

b) Even today, this v-6 is the basic engine for bare bones/stripper new silverados/sierras; i don't think you can get a straight six in a new gm pickup.

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 06-12-2010 at 05:09 PM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
Ya my dads first '78 was a chevy on the outside and had a GMC horn button and dash insert inside. He got it new.
Some of you may have heard me tell the story of the "little white race truck" - it was actually built as a GMC.

We used to take it to Super Chevy events by swapping the grille and tailgate, but we left the exterior fender emblems, horn button and IP emblem as GMC just to see if anybody would notice!

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #17
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Hey Mr Seymore, been reading some of your assembly line stories.. pretty kool stuff. Just curious though... I'm assuming not all of the trucks were specifically ordered by customers... but how did G.M. determine how many, and what trim packages to make (Silverado's, Sierra Classics, Custom Deluxe...and such..). There had to be hundreds of configurations on these trucks....
Thank you; trucks that were not specifically ordered by customers were ordered by the dealers themselves, for their inventory or to sit on their lot. As such, GM didn't really care how many of any particular combination were made, just as long as they all got sold!

(This was in the days before CAFE ratings, and swapping vehicle sales around to try to maximize corporate fleet fuel economy numbers).

The combinations were almost infinite. In order to do Powertrain calibration, emissions and noise "pass by" testing we had to make sure every engine, trans and axle combination was covered and accounted for.

By the time you took into consideration: series (1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton), wheelbase (short, long and cab chassis), 2 vs 4wd, engine, trans, rear axle and tire options the combinations were in the tens of thousands...

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-12-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
i think the interesting thing was that GMC had their own 60 degree v-6 engine prior to 73ish; This was, i think, the first v-6 in a domestic brand---305, 351, 401, 478 etc.

1) This engine was gradually, around 68ish or something, then completely replaced by the chevy straight 6 in the gmc line.

a) Why was this? Was it because the staight six was the better engine? Or just cheaper?

2) The straight six was, in turn, replaced by the 90degree v-6---basically a small block minus 2 cylinders.

a) Why was this? Is the v-6 better than the straight six in light truck applications?

b) Even today, this v-6 is the basic engine for bare bones/stripper new silverados/sierras; i don't think you can get a straight six in a new gm pickup.
1a) Probably (because it was cheaper) by basically being a passenger car engine. It certainly wasn't better.

2a) No, it was driven by development and tooling cost. As you say, the V6 was basically a V8 with the front two cylinders lopped off. As such, any tooling relative to the back of the engine could be shared with V8, offsetting some of the cost. Similarly, any learnings from the V8 relative to air flow, fuel control, etc. could be rolled over to the V6. It also was shorter, making it easier to package (and could share some of the mounting provisions, if not by part number at least in concept).

I should mention that a straight 6 is inherently balanced, in terms of both weight and firing frequency. The V6, on the other hand, is inherently imbalanced in both regards, causing shaking and vibration transfered into the vehicle (mine really "lights up" around 1500 rpm). As a result, there were a number of attempts to fix this through added hardware, like balance shafts or special engine mounts, which drove additional cost and eroded some of the previous savings.

K
1986 - 2019

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-12-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

Keith, here's another one for you. I don't know how factual it is, but someone told me that Chevy and GMC 3/4 tons differed in wheel size. Chevy ran a 16.5 while GMC ran 17.5? Can you clear this one up for me?

Also heard GMC spring packs had 1 extra leaf more than Chevy springs.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
OJOE
Crew Cut

GMC = german made cadillac
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK

Last edited by OJOE; 06-13-2010 at 12:13 PM.
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Thank you; trucks that were not specifically ordered by customers were ordered by the dealers themselves, for their inventory or to sit on their lot. As such, GM didn't really care how many of any particular combination were made, just as long as they all got sold!

(This was in the days before CAFE ratings, and swapping vehicle sales around to try to maximize corporate fleet fuel economy numbers).

The combinations were almost infinite. In order to do Powertrain calibration, emissions and noise "pass by" testing we had to make sure every engine, trans and axle combination was covered and accounted for.

By the time you took into consideration: series (1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton), wheelbase (short, long and cab chassis), 2 vs 4wd, engine, trans, rear axle and tire options the combinations were in the tens of thousands...

K
Right On!... Thanks Keith, for the info. It's pretty awesome of ya to share your knowledge with the rest of the class!! I'm pretty sure I can speak for quite a few on this site... that it's greatly appreciated!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #22
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootin 81 C20 View Post
Keith, here's another one for you. I don't know how factual it is, but someone told me that Chevy and GMC 3/4 tons differed in wheel size. Chevy ran a 16.5 while GMC ran 17.5? Can you clear this one up for me?

Also heard GMC spring packs had 1 extra leaf more than Chevy springs.

Not on my shift; they were exactly the same -

K

Quote:
Right On!... Thanks Keith, for the info. It's pretty awesome of ya to share your knowledge with the rest of the class!! I'm pretty sure I can speak for quite a few on this site... that it's greatly appreciated!
(aw shucks)...

Thank you -

K
1986 - 2019
Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #23
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

GMC always had a better look'n grill !
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

GMC's were generally a heavier duty truck, more of a work horse....at least back in the 30's to the 60's.....different options could be had than the Chevy's too....
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #25
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Closest thing GMC ever had to a chevelle:

http://www.chevelles.com/sprint/
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote