The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Superdrag67

Not sure where I'll end up...68 LWB

Hello all!

Been lurking for awhile. Was unsure I wanted to start a build thread as this will be a slow build and the number of ridiculously nice builds on this forum seem to be abnormally high compared to most other forums I've been a part of. Makes me feel inadequate and I haven't even started yet!

I've been an F-body guy all my life so I'm totally new to these trucks. Haven't had a project for 5 years or so and looking forward to working on something like this again.

I named my thread title that way because I really don't have any specific plans for this truck at the moment. Right now I just want to make it safe and comfortable to drive.

First up is a front end steering rebuild and disc brake conversion.

Being an AZ truck it looks like I'll have little to no rust repair to do on this thing but I haven't dived quite that far into it yet to be 100% certain.

Anyways, here is my starting point.

On the bottom of the carb I've got a little line (vacuum line?) with a screw in it, anyone know if that should be hooked to something? Also the hose with all the clamps on it coming out of the valve cover. It's just hanging there hooked to nothing. Can't I pull all that off and throw a little filter/breather on there, right?

According to lolife's thread it looks like I already have the 'disc brake' wheels which makes things a little easier. Was hoping someone could confirm. Seems a little odd to me since the truck seems mostly untouched, yet the wheels have been changed to disc brake ones.

Hopefully I can keep this thread updated regularly.
Superdrag67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
19GMC66

Re: Not sure where I'll end up...68 LWB

Nice truck! I have a 68 GMC that looks like your trucks twin. Enjoy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
19GMC66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Welcome to the site from a fellow Arizonian stuck in Maryland for the time being.

That is a nice truck with lots of great potential to do just about whatever you want.
I love those Arizona mostly rust free trucks! Especially the slant nose '67 and '68 units.

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #4
Superdrag67

Let the muttered curses and tool throwing commence!

I soaked everything with kroil 3 times the last couple weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed it will come apart somewhat easy.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
Superdrag67

Also fixed what is hopefully the one and only rust repair needed on this thing.

Bottom of the battery tray was rusted out and paper thin. In fact the battery wasnt even bolted down! Didn't notice that when i first bought it. The sides were really solid so i went the cheap route. Just bought a bottom tray.

Had to clean up the sides so i could see the spot welds and a few minutes later i had them drilled out and it separated. When the new tray came in i mocked it up and put some screws in it to hold it together. Just needed to get it from the side yard to the garage.

Once i'm done with the front end i will pull it back out and weld it together and paint it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
Superdrag67

I realized i'm terrible at this build thread thing. When it's 100 plus degrees in the garage and i'm all dirty i don't want to stop to take pics. It's finally starting to cool off though!

Finished up my disc brake install and steering rebuild. Truck drives much nicer now and stops great. Still has lots of slop in the gearbox though.

Got some stuff other done. Got some rallys spray painted and new tires put on. Need to get some center caps for them.

Been working on the interior. Replaced window felts, removed door panels and spray painted metal door skins. Will put new panels on at later date, just doing things cheap for the time being.

Also put in a new dash pad, armrests, visors and small interior bits.

Next step is seat and carpet. Went to the junkyard yesterday looking for a seat but came home empty handed. Might end up going with a new take-out seat off craigslist.

Anyways here is some new pics!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Superdrag67

I painted the top white a week ago with plastidip and I'm working on installing a middle row from a 2013 obyssey. Just finishing up the brackets for the seats. Haven't had much time to work on it but hopefully I will get it done by the weekend. Pics soon!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Ghostryder79

From another Arizona Member. Love the slant noses. Truck looks good, I'll be watching.
Ghostryder79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
mcbassin
Still Learning

Don't sweat all the high end builds on here. There are way more modest builds on here anyway. The high $$ are very popular though. Looks like a very solid truck you started with.
More pictures???
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
Superdrag67

Thanks guys!

Here is the latest pic with the white top. My wife didn't like the look in any of the pics I showed her before I did it but I think it's growing on her. Might end up doing the bottom for a 50th anniversary color scheme but haven't decided yet. Hopefully I'll have a pic up soon of the seats installed. Then it's carpet next.

I'd also like to collapse my column in an inch or two further so that's on the soon to do list. I'm skinny but it just sits too close for my liking.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
jlsanborn

Welcome! Happy to see another sweet truck added to the family here. That big hose on the valve cover would have gone to a spacer between the carburetor and the original air filter. You can simply put a breather on there but it'll likely be a bit oil soaked and messy. If you can find a original air cleaner setup that'd look better IMO. No worries on that other hose / screw but a rubber cap would be better. Stash that original seat away. If you ever decide to go back you'd hate to be hunting for one! I like the white top. I bought the chrome paint divider off GMCPaul's which is a pretty easy deal.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Superdrag67

Thanks. I did end up putting a breather where that hose was. Wouldn't mind finding the right air cleaner though. Maybe i'll put a wtb up.

Hadn't thought about the paint lime trim. Thats a good idea. How does it attach? Don't want to drill any holes.

I really prefer the way the stock seat looks. Not a huge fan of the seating position but would have left it in had it not been completely trashed. The drivers side was nothing but towels folded up with duct tape wrapped around them. Was trying to give it away but maybe i should hold onto it.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
jlsanborn

Bummer on the seat. New foams are spendy! If it's not too bad a decent upholsterer (or you) can repair it. You just gotta find the right density foam and use an electric bread knife to cut out the bad, cut matching chunks of the new and use contact adhesive to patch it all up.

Trucks that had the paint divider had little studs to hold the clips on. I found a "kit" that uses little special screws with shoulders on them. Just a little measuring and an automatic center punch and they're easy to drill. I had seen the layout with dimensions someplace before but I just winged it. Made sure I had them close to the ends then divided the rest of the space up equal.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #14
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Great truck project.
Love everything you have done.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
mcbassin
Still Learning

I like the white roof. More pictures
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Superdrag67

Gave up on getting the ipad to work. iOS 7 sucks bad! Found the old camera so here are some pics.

I know some of you won't like the new seats but I finally got them seats in. It's the middle row from a 2013 honda odyssey. I'm not sure if they were worth all the work but oh well, it's done. Still prefer the look of the stock bench but these are more comfortable and cheaper than fixing my beat up bench. I also have them sitting lower than the stock bench which I like too.

Next project will probably be collapsing the column an inch or two and touching up the white and black in the front grill. I would like to do carpet soon also.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
jlsanborn

Looks great man! The seats do look comfortable.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #18
Superdrag67

No pics but I did get some work done lately.

Changed my transmission and differential oil. They might have been original! They looked terrible.

Rebuilt my rag joint with a rebuild kit and attempted to shorten my steering column an inch or so. Figured out that wasn't going to work for me. My legs are just too long. There wasn't enough room for me to comfortably lift my legs up and push on the clutch and brake pedal. I would need a smaller wheel or possibly a tilt column. Might have to hit the junkyard up for a tilt column. Not sure I want a smaller wheel though unless I upgrade to power steering.

Also my exhaust was cracked right where it connects to the manifold. Got that fixed and it's like a new truck! Amazing how much quieter it made the truck.