The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
frankyjoet

Red face 73gmc350- wiring

i installed a new battery and smoke was coming from the neg side. I don't why. I am trying to start with a remote hookup. Acutron. I have a metal grounding strap from the firewall connected to the valve cover. A 12 guage wire from engine block is connected to the same bolt on the frame where the NEG cable is connected. Is the 12 gauge thick enough for a ground? Please advise thanks
frankyjoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
hatzie

Re: 73gmc350- wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyjoet View Post
i installed a new battery and smoke was coming from the neg side. I don't why. I am trying to start with a remote hookup. Acutron. I have a metal grounding strap from the firewall connected to the valve cover. A 12 guage wire from engine block is connected to the same bolt on the frame where the NEG cable is connected. Is the 12 gauge thick enough for a ground? Please advise thanks
Smoke from the negative battery post usually means you have a loose connection right there. Please read on...

Stock battery cables are 4ga. 12ga is WAY too small to run the starter. At the high amperage starter load the 12ga wire is acting like a big resistor.

The stock neg cable goes to the engine. Move the neg battery cable back to the block or swap the 12ga frame to block wire out with a 2ga or 4ga wire... And move the firewall ground from the valve cover to a bellhousing bolt or some other solid connection.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
J Knight

Re: 73gmc350- wiring

The ground strap should be bolted to the back of the head, not the valve cover.
It would help if you could give us some back ground on the truck and what you are doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
frankyjoet

Red face Re: 73gmc350- wiring

j knight, am in process of rewiring the 73GMC truck with newer tech. wires. and a new fuse box with new fuses with spades. I recently upgraded the engine with new internal/external parts. I need to start the engine to check for any problems. I will follow the suggestions that were posted and take it from there. Thanks all for your help will let you know the results. 73oldie aka frankyjoet
frankyjoet is offline   Reply With Quote