The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
DetroitDan

do I want a Blazer?

I think I do!. I'm considering selling my diesel Suburban. Always wanted one, and I like it a lot, but I like to rotate trucks in and out every so often. The Sub was going to be my kid-hauler and plow truck, and the 82 crew is just a toy. The plow I have for my Sub is really too much for it I think, and I'm afraid it's going to destroy the 182k mile driveline and frontend especially. I could sell the plow and get something lighter, but somebody expressed some interest in buying my Sub, so it got me to thinking what I would do with the money...

A Blazer would make a much better plow truck, as far as maneuverability is concerned. The Sub is still better than the plowtruck I ran for the last ten years, which was an extended cab dually. Pushed anything but not very agile.
I did buy an old conventional plow for my 82, so it could be used in a pinch as a backup truck, but since I've been driving it a lot I've realized no way can I plow residential with it. It is just too damn long, and the D60 frontend simply does not steer enough. I can barely get in and out of driveways now, without a plow.

So. The 8' plow I got for the 82 will work on a K5. A K5 has enough room for me and the 2 kids I have to cart around every day, and 3 in a pinch. Couldn't fit all of us in it, but hell I've got a 3+3 crewcab and the wifes Suburban anyway. We generally (always) take her truck if we all go somewhere.
I need to have a daily driver/plow rig that is better on fuel than my 82, which I can barely afford to drive. Right now my 94 Sub gets double the mileage of the 82 (18 vs 9) but diesels just a bit more expensive. Still way cheaper to run the Sub. I know a Blazer won't approach 18, but I think I could live with 12-13. I know I want a 700r4, for mileage and driveability, I absolutely hate 3 speed autos. Wonder if I should be looking at the later years, with throttle body injection. I would assume they must be better on fuel than carbed. I don't really care if it's a 350 or a 305, I've had dozens of smallblocks and I've had good luck with 305s, so I'm not one of those "gotta have a 350" people. I'd even buy a 6.2, drove a lot of USMC cucv Blazers and they go good enough for me. I just don't want a stripped out ugly cucv. I love the nice loaded Silverado interiors, and I want a nice Silverado two tone.

Lastly, I know the abuse plowing wreaks on trucks, and I normally wouldn't use less than a 3/4 ton, but a Blazer is a lot smaller, so with a reasonable sized plow and experience I hope I can keep the driveline together. Easy to fix anyway. Biggest downfall is the known rust issues under the rear of the k5s. If I do find a decent New England one, I'll have to stay right on top of it to keep the winter roads from eating it, and they probably will anyway. All I can do is wash it up underneath every chance I get, and spray it with oil a couple times a year.

So, whaddya think? Sell the rare turbodiesel 2500 Sub I always wanted, and embark on a K5 journey? Or stick with the Sub and hang a 950 lb Blizzard 810 off of it.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: do I want a Blazer?

Blazers are great small plow trucks, get some timbrens or a 3/4 front spring pack to help with the sag and you'll be good to go.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

just bought a 79 with a plow
poor things been beaten and abused but runs great
found quite a diff in the turning for sure
I would get it
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
DetroitDan

so now that I'm looking for one, they are damn hard to find! 3/4s of the ones on CL are mud trucks, I don't want something thats primer black, 40 inch tires and dented from wheeling thru the woods. I bet once they get too rusted, they just go to the scrapyard; since scrap metal has been paying so much there's nothing left around anymore. Not that I want something rusted, but the handful that arent rusted out are rare now so people want ten grand for them.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
closer9

I really had trouble trying to decide if i really wanted to give up my long bed truck for a back seat and removable top. In the end I realized I will probably never find another rust free Blazer that I can afford, so she's hopefully coming home with me in 2 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
closer9 is offline   Reply With Quote